C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change DIY or have dealer do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Automatic Transmission Fluid Change DIY or have dealer do it?

I just want to know those that have done this themselves, what was the hardest part. What is required? Or should I just take it to the dealer and have them do it.

I don't like the idea of running the motor and getting under car with a hot exhaust. Is there another way? Suggestions?
Old 06-28-2015, 05:36 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c

I don't like the idea of running the motor and getting under car with a hot exhaust. Is there another way? Suggestions?
There really is no other way.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:22 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Where is the drain/fill plug located pass or driver side?
Old 06-29-2015, 12:42 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Rule one: Avoid the Stealership.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not the easiest thing to do, best to pay to have it done (unless you have a lift & proper equipment)
Old 06-29-2015, 07:06 AM
04tripleblkcoupe
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drain plug is on drivers side. And I have done mine but you have to be able to get a pump and tube to fill the trans back up after draining.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:23 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Originally Posted by 04tripleblkcoupe
Drain plug is on drivers side. And I have done mine but you have to be able to get a pump and tube to fill the trans back up after draining.
ok Thanks, Bought one from harbor freight. So the engine must be running, then go back under car unloose the drain plug again then check to add, if fluid comes out or not?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
ok Thanks, Bought one from harbor freight. So the engine must be running, then go back under car unloose the drain plug again then check to add, if fluid comes out or not?
Engine must be running because it spins the pump in the transmission.

Fluid needs to be pumped throughout transmission & coolant lines running to radiator

Transmission should be shifted through all the gears (or taken for a ride) & checked again.

Very important fluid is correct amount
Old 06-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Golf Man
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd change out the tranny filter during the task. I found it easier with a second person. The recommendation of the fluid temp during fill-up is between 86 and 110? (from memory) It can be monitored through the DIC. I still have the DIY files (that are close to the FSM) If needed PM me an e-mail address, I'll send them to you. As noted earlier the correct amount of Dex III (or current alternative) is critical. If you drop the pan take care not to dry sump the pump for any length of time.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:02 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Golf Man
I'd change out the tranny filter during the task. I found it easier with a second person. The recommendation of the fluid temp during fill-up is between 86 and 110? (from memory) It can be monitored through the DIC. I still have the DIY files (that are close to the FSM) If needed PM me an e-mail address, I'll send them to you. As noted earlier the correct amount of Dex III (or current alternative) is critical. If you drop the pan take care not to dry sump the pump for any length of time.
Thanks I think I have it now make sure engine is running because it turns the pump in transmission, while ebgine is running to fill tranny when it dribbles out then it is full all around 108 degrees.

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Transmission Fluid Change DIY or have dealer do it?

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change DIY or have dealer do it?