C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:41 PM
JohnnyHolt
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need a spare tire

Ok, so a c5 doesn't come with a spare tire. I feel better with a spare so does any one know what tire/wheel or donut would work?
Old 06-29-2015, 01:01 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Two questions: where are you going to keep it? where will you put the wheel you take off?
Old 06-29-2015, 01:16 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's part of the thrill of driving a C5, like not wearing underwear
Old 06-29-2015, 01:18 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Anymore examples for the op
Old 06-29-2015, 02:05 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Is this answer good enough?: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-in-a-z06.html
Old 06-29-2015, 10:45 AM
JohnnyHolt
Navigator

Originally Posted by dork

Thans for the reply Dork. That helps a little. I think.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:51 AM
JohnnyHolt
Navigator

Originally Posted by striper
Two questions: where are you going to keep it? where will you put the wheel you take off?

Thoughts at present,
I was going to build a box, big enough to accommodate the rear tire. Cover it inside and out with the same kind/color material as the rear area carpet. Use the holes already there that hold the carpet panel to hold the box. Should work if done properly. Taper the front a bit to serve as storage for a board, jack...
All-in-all try to make it function for my need and at the same time NOT look like crap.
Just my thoughts at the moment. Subject to change.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:59 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Keep in mind, two things....

1) the limited slip differential in the rear axle, will NOT be happy if the rear tires are different diameters. AND the difference doesn't have to be a lot, to cause the clutches in the diff to generate a lot of heat.....

2) the active handling/traction system wants to see approximately 1" difference in the ODs of the front and rear tires. It functions on seeing wheel speeds that are pre-programmed into the car's computer. If these speeds are outside of the "normal" window, the active handling system most likely will engage.

It would be difficult to keep the diff and traction control system happy at the same time
Old 06-29-2015, 12:55 PM
JohnnyHolt
Navigator

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Keep in mind, two things....

1) the limited slip differential in the rear axle, will NOT be happy if the rear tires are different diameters. AND the difference doesn't have to be a lot, to cause the clutches in the diff to generate a lot of heat.....

2) the active handling/traction system wants to see approximately 1" difference in the ODs of the front and rear tires. It functions on seeing wheel speeds that are pre-programmed into the car's computer. If these speeds are outside of the "normal" window, the active handling system most likely will engage.

It would be difficult to keep the diff and traction control system happy at the same time

Excellent points. That's why I'm here, now so you guys can weigh in on things.
TC can be turned off. Most of that doesn't seem to be an issue on other cars I see running around for days on a donut. But, more thought...
Thanks much for you reply.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I have a ZO6 and it came with NON RUNFLAT TIRES and NO TPS Monitors. I installed TPS monitors.

However ALL ZO6s come with a tire pump and a tire patch/plug kit. When my other C5 and C6 cars wear out the RUN FLATS, I always switch to Non RUNFLATS and just purchase a dependable pump and a good plug kit.

Unless you have a catastrophic tire blow out, a good set of TPS and a plug patch kit will handle most leaks.

Other than that,, AAA and a flat bed will get ya back on the road..

People purchase a F Body mini spare to be able to get to a repair station. YEP,,, You have to be careful with the limited slip clutches and different size rear tires.

My wife had a complete rear tire blow out on my ZO6 at highway speeds and the wife stated, "If it weren't for the tire pressure sensors, she never would have knows it was flat." Didn't effect the handling all that much.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:33 PM
JohnnyHolt
Navigator

Originally Posted by dork

Looks like it would work but with some of the other comments I have a question.
Have you ever actually driven with your spare?
If yes, how far?
Front or rear?
Any issues with TC or the limited slip?
Any issues at all?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:10 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyHolt
Thanks for the reply, Dork.....
Now THAT'S funny!!!

Old 06-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Trios
Drifting

I disagree with the topic of this conversation.

You do not need a spare tire.

There were over 225,000 C5 Corvettes producted, zero of which had a spare tire from the factory. Add in the C6 Corvettes, which also do not have a spare, and there are nearly half a million spare-less Corvettes on the road.

You do not need a spare.

You may want a spare, and that's fine. Lots of people want things that are unnecessary. In fact, for most people, a Corvette is an unnecessary 'want' and not a 'need.'

I do not run a spare; I pay a couple bucks a month to the insurance company for 24/7 roadside assistance, and they'll pay for a flatbed. I also have a plug kit and compressor in the car, but I honestly can't imagine ever using them. So far I haven't had to use either one.

So, anyways. You don't need a spare.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

1: buy a different car
2: runflats
3: AAA
Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 PM
MBrianB
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I have a ZO6 and it came with NON RUNFLAT TIRES and NO TPS Monitors. I installed TPS monitors.

However ALL ZO6s come with a tire pump and a tire patch/plug kit. When my other C5 and C6 cars wear out the RUN FLATS, I always switch to Non RUNFLATS and just purchase a dependable pump and a good plug kit.

Unless you have a catastrophic tire blow out, a good set of TPS and a plug patch kit will handle most leaks.

Other than that,, AAA and a flat bed will get ya back on the road..

People purchase a F Body mini spare to be able to get to a repair station. YEP,,, You have to be careful with the limited slip clutches and different size rear tires.

My wife had a complete rear tire blow out on my ZO6 at highway speeds and the wife stated, "If it weren't for the tire pressure sensors, she never would have knows it was flat." Didn't effect the handling all that much.

You would need the XXXXXXLLLL size patch kit for that one
Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM
Trios
Drifting

Originally Posted by MBrianB
You would need the XXXXXXLLLL size patch kit for that one
Slap a little duct tape over it, it'll be fine.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 AM
GregW1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2004 C-5. I really like the car.

I will carry a tire plugging kit, a tiny air compressor, a Triple A card and a cell phone for really damaged tires.

FWIW - I do have a spare tire but it is wrapped around my waist and mostly useless.

Get notified of new replies

To I need a spare tire

Old 06-30-2015, 11:00 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

I have done 2 cross country trips from California to Bowling Green, numerous runs to Portland, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Only one trip to Phoenix did I have a tire issue. I picked up a piece of metal in the center of the tread while in Phoenix. Took it to the local Discount tire and had them patch it.

To get it there I used my portable compressor to fill up the tire before driving the 5 miles to the shop.

My C5 has over 132k mile of which I put 110k on it. My C6 has 32k with me putting on about 13k. I have a compressor and plug kit in both cars at all times. I add a blanket for road trips.

BTW, the C5 has Hankooks on it right now. The tires that got the flat were Michelins with about 5k on them when I got the flat. The C6 still has the factory Goodyears but will be replaced within the next 5k to 8k withnthe current Hankooks.

Gary
Old 06-30-2015, 11:16 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Between semis and my vehicle I drive over 100,000 miles a year. I have had 1 flat in the last 15 years while on the road. Maybe 3 that were flat when I was ready to drive. All on semis. I am not worried about flats. The one on the road a handle from a bottle jack was rolling around inside the tire. Made a nice clean hole but too big o repair.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:38 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

You guys with your "no flat" stories probably jinxed yourselves

Quick Reply: I need a spare tire