C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Issue - Works without wiper arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:59 PM
beboggled
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Windshield Wiper Issue - Works without wiper arms

Hi guys, I've read through the other threads on here as well as a great one on Digital Corvettes but I'm still having a problem.

When I removed the wiper arms and turned on the wipers, everything seems to be functioning correctly, positions match the diagrams. Now, after putting the cowl and arms back on, the wipers are stuck in a non-retracted position and moving the control stalk does nothing at all.

Everything seemed calibrated and working prior to me putting the arms back on. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is some FSM info that might help. This is from 2001 but it should match all years. If you see any difference in the schematics such as wire color I can post your exact year. You didn't post your year.

I think they talk about using a test light but a voltmeter will do the same thing.

Let us know if you need any help. Could be the wiper control on the column.

You never said what started your work on the wipers.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05ncijcoa...33ytU-SMa?dl=0
Old 06-30-2015, 01:42 PM
beboggled
Racer

Thanks for your help and that link, great info there.

I initially started working on it because the wipers had a mind of their own. Most of the time they would not respond or sometimes respond to the wiper switch and would rest in the "ready" not stowed position. They would occasionally just start working normally when driving even with the wiper stalk set to off. Sometimes then it would behave normally.

This all started after taking the car out from winter hibernation a couple months ago. I presumed the wiper motor had gotten wet (clearly true by inspection) and it has dried it self out in that time.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

In that case I think the motor circuit board is the issue. Circuits probably can't take the load of having the wipers pressed against the windshield.

This board does not show in the schematics. Read this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmd2ko3gfp...ption.pdf?dl=0
Old 07-04-2015, 04:24 PM
beboggled
Racer

Just to update for anyone who may tackle this in the future:

Pulled out the motor and opened up the circuit board cover. There was definitely too much moisture in there, could see droplets on top of the grease residing in it. I pulled the board from the casing and washed it and the cover in the sink with some fast orange hand cleaner (to remove both the water and excess grease) and let it dry in the sun. Once reinstalling it, the short reverse action was not functioning correctly. I looked at the switch/pin/levers that contact the cam as it spins and it became slightly bent. There is actually an outline drawn on the circuit board showing exactly how the switch contacts should be bent.

I adjusted them accordingly with small pliers, and now I have perfectly working wipers.
The following users liked this post:
Cratecruncher (10-27-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Wiper Issue - Works without wiper arms

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper Issue - Works without wiper arms