C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS/Traction error

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 07:40 AM
BigbadbobD
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/Traction error

I've been reading a lot of different submissions on the Forum with ABS/TC active handling errors, but I am really unsure of where to check first.

I live in Germany, so speeds here are no problem, but if I let the engine get past 5k rpm and travel any speeds over 100 mph I get active handling error, fix immediately in the display and the ABS and Traction control yellow lights appear. I have a 2001 that's never been driven in the rain and garage kept with only 10k miles. (28 Sunny summer days a year in Germany...LOL)

Since the issue resolves itself whenever I turn off and back on the car, and doesn't appear by "normal" driving, I don't know where to start.

Anybody had the same?

Last edited by BigbadbobD; 07-01-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:32 PM
tandt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

7000 RPM, man, you are pushing it, factory redline is in the mid 6000RPM range I seem to recall, someone up the rev limiter??. Bet your tires are the culprit, what size(s) are you running?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 PM
BigbadbobD
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tandt
7000 RPM, man, you are pushing it, factory redline is in the mid 6000RPM range I seem to recall, someone up the rev limiter??. Bet your tires are the culprit, what size(s) are you running?
Yeah, I fat fingered it, I meant 5000 rpm..LOL, anyway, factory tires. P245/45 ZR 17 front ant P275/40 ZR 18 Rear
Old 07-02-2015, 10:38 AM
tandt
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigbadbobD
Yeah, I fat fingered it, I meant 5000 rpm..LOL, anyway, factory tires. P245/45 ZR 17 front ant P275/40 ZR 18 Rear
Measure the DIAMETERS, some have posted that as the rears wear, the diameter difference between the front and the rear falls below the minimum of 1/2" in order to keep the ABS/TC system happy.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Do an actual measurement and post any codes.

At high speed it could just be a loose connection to a wheel sensor.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:20 AM
BigbadbobD
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dadaroo

Do an actual measurement and post any codes.

At high speed it could just be a loose connection to a wheel sensor.
Okay,

This is what I got from the codes

DTC C1225 LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation, is the sensor loose?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 AM
tandt
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigbadbobD
Okay,

This is what I got from the codes

DTC C1225 LF Excessive Wheel Speed Variation, is the sensor loose?
Looks like tire speeds aren't what the computer expects. You could examine the connectors but I'm still betting on worn tires.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:36 AM
BigbadbobD
6th Gear

Cool, that works for me, there is a long story behind the tires that are on the car, I was wanting to put some michelins on it anyway.

Thanks guys!!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:46 AM
BigbadbobD
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Chances are EXCELLENT that the contact surfaces of the connector that connects the wheel speed sensor to the car wire harness are either a little deformed or possibly corroded causing a loss of connectivity, especially over less than smooth roads and at speeds where vibrations are possible.

Jack the left front and remove the wheel. Examine the wiring to the wheel speed sensor on BOTH sides of the connector. Repair if needed. Open the connector and examine the contact surfaces in BOTH halves of the connector. Clean and/or reshape the contact surfaces and reconnect the connector. Clear the codes (all of them) and take the car for a drive on your 100mph route and see if the problem reoccurs....
Thanks for the advise!! That will be my Saturday morning project!! Fingers crossed
Old 07-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The wheel speed sensor error needs to be addressed first. When you correct that issue, try the high speed test again.

When you inspect the FEMALE connectors for the wheel speed sensor harness, you will find a female connector on the frame and one on the Jumper Harness that connects the wheel hub sensor to the connector on the frame.

To get a PROOF POSITIVE test on the female pins, its advisable to conduct a PIN PULL TEST. That involves inserting a MALE pin into each of the connector female pins. You should have a firm insertion and retraction pressure on the male pin. If you don't, the female pin/s are deformed and require adjustment (bending) or replacement.

I had an EBTCM on my 02 ZO6 that would error out at exactly 47 mph. I got GM to replace it but it wasn't easy!! Cant remember what DTCs that popped but, it was a constant and very predictable failure. No wheel speed sensors were erroring out. It was an INTERNAL EBTCM electrical issue somewhere in the microprocessor portion of the module.

JUMPER HARNESS:

BRAND NEW PIG TAIL REPLACEMENT CONNECTOR:

Front wheel hub, the blue cap is the WSS:

WSS Cap removed and sensor shown:

BRAND NEW female connector on the LEFT vs OLD damaged spread female pins on the RIGHT:

Good Luck

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 07-02-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:06 PM
BigbadbobD
6th Gear

Thanks Bill and everyone.

Error code and malfunction has lost the battle. I cleaned the connections with contact spray, noticed from another submission that the metal tab holding the cable on loosens, so I tightened that down, and for good measure used a cable tie to really secure it. Took her out for a spin and dropped it a couple of fast over a 100, even took a bumpy road. Didn't throw a single error!!

awesome help gang!

thanks,

Bob D.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:04 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

I love happy endings!!!
Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I just found this today after removing my EBCM.... a local forum member (Neutron) encouraged me to reinstall EBCM, clear and check codes again before purchasing another one, or sending it off for repair... Oh well, I am a master at removing EBCM now... Turned out it was a rear speed sensor where the wires just pulled out...? Was just hanging there...
Old 07-20-2015, 01:49 PM
RadnessWarrior
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS/Traction error

Do you need another wheel speed sensor? I bought an extra one from a junk yard thinking I needed one. Turns out a mouse chewed through the wires on the subframe.

Get notified of new replies

To ABS/Traction error

Quick Reply: ABS/Traction error