C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon fiber flared rear quarters, bolt on my azz!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Carbon fiber flared rear quarters, bolt on my azz!!!

So I drop my vette, new quarters, wheels and tires off at buddies body shop. Within 2 hrs he calls me and I go down to see what's up.

First up the panels have more waves in um then the pacific coast, easily felt running hand across um, much like the woops on a motocross track. Both panels. Block sanding and filler in my brand new CF panels, crap!!

Neither panel meets up with the door, both stick out with passenger side the worst qith bout 1/4 inch difference.

Both panels are warped where they meet just above the rear brake ducts, there curved inward, which requires fill.

Both panels are jacked where they bolt to the bottom of the rear bumper cover, the radius is off nd you can see right through the gap in the corner.

the side marker light relief is a utter joke , rough as a cob, lights wo t even go in with out a bunch of grinding to make um fit.

And there's a small dimple right next to the fuel door, seems to me this set was pulled to early from the mold

Definitely learned my lesson on what to expect with cheap aftermarket body panels. DONT BUY THEM!!

I purchased the CF instead of fiberglass, as most stated they were direct bolt on, should of just bought the glass ones, as the CF need just as much work. Didn't save a dime.

Damn shame really, can only blame myself, should of talked with more guys.

Still POed none the less

EDIT: Also didn't mention we had to cut the panel were it stabs under the roof pillar on pass side to get the panel to meet up flush with door jam, and still stickin out, lol.

Last edited by Cedarberry; 07-04-2015 at 09:15 AM. Reason: More faults in panels
Old 07-04-2015, 08:48 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

sorry to hear it. from the stories i've read and a friend of mine that bought some, most flared fenders are crap. it's about a 20% success with minimal work needing to be done.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Travis_C
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My CC'sc will be in Monday. I hope yours were a different brand?

Originally Posted by Cedarberry
So I drop my vette, new quarters, wheels and tires off at buddies body shop. Within 2 hrs he calls me and I go down to see what's up.

First up the panels have more waves in um then the pacific coast, easily felt running hand across um, much like the woops on a motocross track. Both panels. Block sanding and filler in my brand new CF panels, crap!!

Neither panel meets up with the door, both stick out with passenger side the worst qith bout 1/4 inch difference.

Both panels are warped where they meet just above the rear brake ducts, there curved inward, which requires fill.

Both panels are jacked where they bolt to the bottom of the rear bumper cover, the radius is off nd you can see right through the gap in the corner.

the side marker light relief is a utter joke , rough as a cob, lights wo t even go in with out a bunch of grinding to make um fit.

And there's a small dimple right next to the fuel door, seems to me this set was pulled to early from the mold

Definitely learned my lesson on what to expect with cheap aftermarket body panels. DONT BUY THEM!!

I purchased the CF instead of fiberglass, as most stated they were direct bolt on, should of just bought the glass ones, as the CF need just as much work. Didn't save a dime.

Damn shame really, can only blame myself, should of talked with more guys.

Still POed none the less
Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

IMHO they are junk, can't imagine any reputable vendor letting these panels out the door.

Guess anything goes when it comes down to the benjis, much like pfadt shipping C5 guys C6 headers when they **** the bed.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:21 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Also my body guy is no hack, he's been at this his whole life, he's done many many frame off restorations on many different cars and trucks, down to every last nut and bolt.

When I told him they were bolt on with very minimal work to make fit, he laughed, and this was before he ever even seen um.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Travis_C
Instructor

Also my body guy is no hack, he's been at this his whole life, he's done many many frame off restorations on many different cars and trucks, down to every last nut and bolt.

When I told him they were bolt on with very minimal work to make fit, he laughed, and this was before he ever even seen um.
Ill let you know how my CC's fit.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't see where you identified the brand. Great that you've vented and truly sorry for the troubles you are experiencing. Not so great for helping the next guy make a purchase decision though.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Travis_C
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
I don't see where you identified the brand. Great that you've vented and truly sorry for the troubles you are experiencing. Not so great for helping the next guy make a purchase decision though.
CC - Carbon Creationz is what he bought for his FRC. I've also got a set coming this week. I'll update with how mine fit later.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
There from Petes outfit, vendor here. I'm sure there packed and shipped from elsewhere and He never even sees um before shipped.

And yeh I feel much better venting, have been stewing all night, lol

Thinking about it all night, decided I'll sell the car when work is finished and find another.

ive had the car for 2 years now, poured so much money in it and still not even close to what I wanted to do with it. I'll be way ahead finding one that is already done. 02-04 built Z is the plan.

Fug it, lol
Old 07-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Travis_C
Instructor

There from Petes outfit, vendor here. I'm sure there packed and shipped from elsewhere and He never even sees um before shipped.

And yeh I feel much better venting, have been stewing all night, lol

Thinking about it all night, decided I'll sell the car when work is finished and find another.

ive had the car for 2 years now, poured so much money in it and still not even close to what I wanted to do with it. I'll be way ahead finding one that is already done. 02-04 built Z is the plan.

Fug it, lol
Pete actually sent me a pic of a small chip in my fenders before they shipped. He wanted to make sure I was ok with it.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:48 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I am really thinking about the wide booty mod, but stories like this really scare me.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 PM
916Z06
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree, I want those flared fenders but don't want to spend more than what the fenders cost to make them look goo don the car.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Did you bother to contact the vendor before trashing them on the forum and giving them a chance to make things right?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No complaints on my L5 flared quarter panels
Old 07-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Cedarberry
Drifting

No Mike I didn't contact Pete.

I really do t care to talk with him, I'm not gettin another set of fenders either way.

I'm sorry you feel I trashed him, it's his product, he sent um out and nowI'm supposed to call him and and work some thing out.

These were not damaged in shipping, there is not a scratch on um, there malformed all over, I stopped by the shop again yesturday am, and my buddy points out a hole the size of a pen tip right on top of the pass fender.

Now come on man these are CF, not glass, like I said I'm over it, once the works done, I'm sellin the car and moving on.

Last edited by Cedarberry; 07-05-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:15 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I had a bad experience with that companies product as well, a carbon zr hood... the whole deal with carbon fiber is that some people want to leave it exposed so when the quality is so horrible that you have to spend as much money as the part costs on body work to make it right then what is the point of spending the extra money... it isn't like they are any lighter than the stock pieces if any at all, I didn't weigh the hood I bought but I would be willing to bet it was actually heavier than the stock hood... I ended up sending my stuff back and went through all kinds of hell to get my money back... that was my first and last time dealing with them which sucks for both of us because I like a few other things they offer and was ready to buy it all before I went through that ordeal
Old 07-05-2015, 04:30 PM
ascastil
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 125 Posts

I got the Corvette Creations flared fenders and they need quite a bit of work, which I was well aware of when I bought them so I am not complaining. I was thinking I should have spent the extra money and got the carbon fenders and not have to worry about the work to put into them but glad I didnt. My brother in law is an ace when it comes to body work so hes gonna fix them up for me for free and paint them so I lucked out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Carbon fiber flared rear quarters, bolt on my azz!!!

Old 07-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Cedarberry
Drifting

In order for these fenders to fit and line up we have to cut the fender out and reglass, or cut out the body of the car. This is no joke, neither fender will line up with doors.

I told my guy to just put um on, do the best you can as far as alignment, block um and paint. I'm not puttin another freakin grand into filling cutting and sanding.

I'll post up pics tomorrow, I couldn't get any yesturdyy as the car was on the lift with others parked under it for the holiday.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Cedarberry; 07-05-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Just got off the phone with the body shop, after along talk the CF fenders are commin off, puttin the OEM ones back on, have my headlight covers painted and polish the whole car.

I'll be selling the fenders, wheels and tires here.

End of story!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:18 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Just got off the phone with the body shop, after along talk the CF fenders are commin off, puttin the OEM ones back on, have my headlight covers painted and polish the whole car.

I'll be selling the fenders, wheels and tires here.

End of story!
I was seriously looking at this as my next mod bc I love the wide booty look but after reading this thread, I just can't do it.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber flared rear quarters, bolt on my azz!!!