C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air shroud around intake, like C6 haltech beehive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 AM
2001 C5ster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air shroud around intake, like C6 haltech beehive?

Has anyone seen a product to isolate the intake area from the rest of the underhood engine area? Has anyone made their own device like this?
Im not talking about cutting the radiator shroud, Im talking about putting a shroud around the C5 airbox so that it only gets air from the fog light housings (which I have cut open of course)
Haltech makes a setup like this for the c6 called the beehive, but i have been unable to find anything like this for the c5.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2015, 01:45 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 C5ster
Has anyone seen a product to isolate the intake area from the rest of the underhood engine area? Has anyone made their own device like this?
Im not talking about cutting the radiator shroud, Im talking about putting a shroud around the C5 airbox so that it only gets air from the fog light housings (which I have cut open of course)
Haltech makes a setup like this for the c6 called the beehive, but i have been unable to find anything like this for the c5.
Vararam takes air from the foglight areas.

There was another CAI (at least one) that involved cutting a hole in the top of the "duct" to the radiator, and fixing a box over the filter so that only air from the underneath rad intake could get in. Forgotten the name.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:38 PM
2001 C5ster
Advanced

Yes, that is the Callaway Honker.
Im not really digging the Vararam because I live in CA, and the honker is nice (and expensive), but I dont want to cut my radiator shroud.
I'm talking about something that isolates the intake box (stock or blackwing variety) from the rest of the engine bay.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Vararam takes air from the foglight areas.

There was another CAI (at least one) that involved cutting a hole in the top of the "duct" to the radiator, and fixing a box over the filter so that only air from the underneath rad intake could get in. Forgotten the name.
Vortex Rammer made by BPP?
Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 PM
2001 C5ster
Advanced

Really, no one has tried making one?
I am about to go buy some sheet plastic and make my own if no one has a better idea.

Last edited by 2001 C5ster; 07-06-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:53 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
That would be it. I have mine collecting dust to lazy to ship or I would give it away
Old 07-06-2015, 05:39 PM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cold air shroud around intake, like C6 haltech beehive?

Really, no one has tried making one?
I am about to go buy some sheet plastic and make my own if no one has a better idea.
Coming from a non-AC version of a chrs1313 for an F-Body, I've been pondering this myself. I already removed the radiator cover thing though. Still have the top piece installed, but that cover over the front is completely gone.

I'd like to try something like the Vararam SnakeCharmer that's made for the C6, but make it work for a C5.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

A couple of things to remember, the C5 is a bottom breather--air intake is forced through the radiator while the C6 is a front breather. To make your plan work you would need to remove the front bumper cover and plate indent to free up cold air. If you do not get a good volume of fresh air into the intake area, you will not make any more HP. The C5 T1 cars and others have done this type of mod. I think Halltech has something like this. When all is said and done, you can go the Ice-box (honker) route or the Veraram route. If you are not bringing colder more dense air into the TB you are wasting money. When you add true Cold Air you then have to recalibrate the PCM to make the HP.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:49 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I had this on my 02 C5z and it's an effective cold air setup. It has a scoop on the bottom of the radiator shroud that scoops cold oncoming air and packs directs it into the airbox. Although not directly on nose of car like Vararam it does basically the same thing by channeling cool air in and isolating away from heated air. WCC sold a Hurricane system which somewhat similar in design.

You could make a version by doing the "zip-tie" mod then attaching a plastic wall mount file holder on the bottom with opening facing towards the front to scoop air....basically a "poor man's Honker".
Old 07-07-2015, 11:29 AM
dr_whigham
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be modeling mine off a chrs1313... same concept. Might even find a way to attach an F-Body lower lid mount to the radiator shroud and use a lid (SLP) on top, and connect it that way. Scoop would extend to the bottom of the car where the air dam is
Old 07-07-2015, 02:26 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Flip Tie Mod

Posted 11-28-2006

Putting a plastic file box or something sized appropriate to channel air to the filter bottom would likely help capture more cool air at speed.

Looks like a mini Honker.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-write-up.html
Old 07-07-2015, 06:00 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

........... but I dont want to cut my radiator shroud.
I'm talking about something that isolates the intake box (stock or blackwing variety) from the rest of the engine bay.
Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Posted 11-28-2006

Putting a plastic file box or something sized appropriate to channel air to the filter bottom would likely help capture more cool air at speed.

Looks like a mini Honker.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-write-up.html
That would be an effective setup but I'm purdy sure he doesn't want to cut his shroud.

Several years ago Dave68 came up with a good one that uses the same idea, but it was for a Blackwing. It also involves cutting a hole uses the "file folder" (as a "scoop") attached to the underside of the shroud. It worked pretty well.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:28 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

There is a company in Florida that sell an IceBox to fit over the Blackwing but requires cutting the shroud.

When adding a real cold air system it is important to make sure the system is completely sealed from the engine air. Several have had problems years ago when adding early Veraram/bottom breather systems with idle, surging and decel. Main culprit was engine air getting mixing with the ambient air and improper tune.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:02 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Posted a similar thought a couple years ago, no responses.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air shroud around intake, like C6 haltech beehive?

Quick Reply: Cold air shroud around intake, like C6 haltech beehive?