C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Wipers Won't Park

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:32 PM
8birds
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Wipers Won't Park

Ahoy Vet Lovers, my lovely C5 Ragtop's wipers stopped parking (17,000 easy mi). Don't like them parking in my line of sight. Diagnostic C5 Shop Manual testing indicates a new wiper switch. My questions are:
1. Is the "switch" itself a part of the wiper lever? If not with the lever, where is it?
2. Is the removal/install something relatively easy to do (given a full shop manual set)?
3. Where's a good, low-priced place for this part?
4. Have you ever done this replacement and would be willing to share?

Thanks, guys, stroke your Vette softly,
Tom, Naples, FL
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Review this and let me know if you need any more info. I can provide the FSM info for getting to the motor and controller there and anything else you need.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iper-arms.html

I cases where they do not Park correctly it seems it is always the board at the motor from what I have seen. My understanding the only thing the column switch does for Park is to just kill power and then the control board at the motor makes sure the motor Parks the wipers correctly. The fact that the wipers stop tells me the column switch is not the issue.

They don't specifically address "No Park" the FSM diagnostics from my review.

Mr. Sam

PS: Here is another Thread that supports my opinion, Post #2.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...sue-again.html
Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 PM
8birds
Intermediate

Default Thanks, here' my reference

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Review this and let me know if you need any more info. I can provide the FSM info for getting to the motor and controller there and anything else you need.

I cases where they do not Park correctly it seems it is always the board at the motor from what I have seen. My understanding the only thing the column switch does for Park is to just kill power and then the control board at the motor makes sure the motor Parks the wipers correctly. The fact that the wipers stop tells me the column switch is not the issue.

Mr. Sam

Thanks, Sam. I have a 3-vol set of GMP/99-Y-3 "1999 GM Service Manual". The important wiper stuff for me starts on page 8-272 and runs to 8-465, with the diagnostic for blade parking being on 8=251. Couldn't find connector C219 to save life. It's supposed to be on the RH side of the steering column, but if it's there, it's tightly fastened in a space impossible to access. I assumed that Step 2 under "Wiper Blades Do Not Park…" passed which says that the wiper switch needs replacement. Since the switch probably has more problem-prone parts than the connector, I'm thinking about starting here.

Back to my post, is this a big deal operation? What might it cost to have a dealer repair it? Where should I look for parts? Thanks, Tom.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Wow, my 2001 hardcopy only has 28 pages on the Wipers and Washers.

I have all the years on my laptop and may take a look at your year later just to see what it says.

I will repeat, there is no logic as to why an on/off switch would be the issue in my mind (even with resistors there).
That is supported by what I provided you.

However, if you want to replace the column switch you can get new from Gene at Cultrag.com (great discounts) or used from Marc at VetteNuts.com (great prices).

When you find out it is not the switch this link may help. He also defines your problem as being at the motor. Lots of pictures too. Junkman DIYs are always well done.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=121213

If you do go for the switch this may help. It has guidance on access to the MF switch but will allow you access for the Wiper switch also.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=121213

Let us know what happens and if I can help with anything.

Mr.Sam
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM
8birds
Intermediate

Thanks for your answer. I'll dig deeper. I have a lot of time and the interest to follow this to an end. My shop books say to "disconnect connector C219" at the start of the diagnostic. Where the H is this connector? Book says it has 6 cavities??? and it's location "Instrument panel harness to steering column harness, LH side of the instrument panel attached to the instrument panel lower beam." Wiper schematics show C219 just ahead of the switch.

Another thing, maybe unrelated but maybe not, yesterday my Vette's battery was dead! Could the wiper switch be closed and and discharging the car? I'm 1000 miles from home and my Vette is my only ride.

Thanks, Tom
Old 07-07-2015, 11:28 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Yes there could be connection. I did pull up your diagnostics and saw that if there is a short in the column switch circuit it can cause your issue. That could drain the battery.

I am going to PM you with my contact numbers so we can deal the drain issue. I will be at my cell for a few hours until I get home.

Charge the battery WITHOUT the battery being fully connected to the car. Will explain why later.

If not that it could be a light left on or a stuck seat switch causing a motor to try and run. There are thermal circuit breakers that open and close in this situation until the battery is drained.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 8birds
......... My shop books say to "disconnect connector C219" at the start of the diagnostic. Where the H is this connector? Book says it has 6 cavities??? and it's location "Instrument panel harness to steering column harness, LH side of the instrument panel attached to the instrument panel lower beam." Wiper schematics show C219 just ahead of the switch.

Thanks, Tom
Check your FSM. It will show the connector end-view. It may have "6 cavities", but how many are used? What are the wire colors?
All that information is in your FSM.

Is it this one? The one that is actually attached to the wiper switch that you're working on?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:02 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Thanks buddy, I have a short cut on the diagnostics if the switch is the issue. If he looks at current draw on Fuse 10 in the I/P fuse box it should show a current draw. Waiting on a call. I have several ideas that will get him home regardless of the issue.

If that is the problem pulling Fuse 10 in the I/P fuse box will stop the draw. If it rains he can just install for driving.

Interesting issue.

As always, Mr. Sam
Old 07-08-2015, 03:38 PM
8birds
Intermediate

Thanks buddy, I have a short cut on the diagnostics if the switch is the issue. If he looks at current draw on Fuse 10 in the I/P fuse box it should show a current draw. Waiting on a call. I have several ideas that will get him home regardless of the issue.

If that is the problem pulling Fuse 10 in the I/P fuse box will stop the draw. If it rains he can just install for driving.

Interesting issue.

As always, Mr. Sam
OK, purchased a switch and am awaiting its arrival. Pulled fuse 10 and detected no current draw. So far, battery OK (I hate to even think these words!). Will keep you posted. Tom
Old 07-08-2015, 06:35 PM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I didn't read all the links, but I had my wipers go crazy . Wouldn't park, came on at random times etc. The "rubber Udders" got clogged leaving the wiper motor and its circuit board sitting underwater. I got lucky, I pulled mine out and opened it up. Dried it out and it and now it's fine. There is a thread some where on here on how to remove the motor. It's not a very hard job.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 8birds
OK, purchased a switch and am awaiting its arrival. Pulled fuse 10 and detected no current draw. So far, battery OK (I hate to even think these words!). Will keep you posted. Tom
If you don't have a drain via fuse 10 then that switch should not be the problem with wipers not parking.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:11 PM
8birds
Intermediate

Default Replying/Up-dating

If you don't have a drain via fuse 10 then that switch should not be the problem with wipers not parking.
I was absorbed in this wiper problem, and while not the same as a "won't stop no matter what!" problem, I'm bugged by nonchalant wiper parking."

Perfecting the arcane GM diagnostics is no small matter. To do all testing means completely exposing the work area! Unless you are a Corvette mechanic, know that nothing is marked and most connectors are fastened to metal (think hard to disconnect and reconnect).

After study I found that I read "replace the wiper/washer switch" a lot more than any other cure. I bought a switch from Eckler's and waited a few days before it came.

I launched into full scale, bare it all, replacement approach….except I couldn't do the "bare it all" part. Everything's torx and, I discover torx, socket drives and long shafts. So I, unfortunately, decided to DIY-it in a partially open work site. With the I-panel partially removed in my only ride, I couldn't easily get the tools. So I worked around things. Picture this.

I, ahem…, slid a few switches off the steering column and removed the suspect wiper switch completely. I hooked up the new wiper switch, hand-held the switch and fired up the wipers…more of the same lazy wiper parking. So now I'm pondering whether or not I'm trying to milk a NC mouse here. After all, the wipers do wipe…they park just like like my ex-, anyway she wants.

Will try to call you at home in the PM this coming week to see if you, or anyone, have any ideas. Tom

Last edited by 8birds; 07-12-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:59 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Sorry, but I knew if you had no current flow at the fuse and they were not Parking then the switch/circuit short could not be it. All I did was just short cut the FSM diagnostics. If you had a current draw then you would have had to get under the dash.

Go back to Post 4 where I said what it most likely was. The control board in the wiper motor assembly. When you turn off the wipers it is what parks them. It uses stored voltage in a capacitor to power the wipers until they park.

If it were a switch/circuit short it would have had to be one that was not enough voltage to power the wipers but enough to tell the wiper control board NOT to Park the wipers.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEED750
Well I didn't read all the links, but I had my wipers go crazy . Wouldn't park, came on at random times etc. The "rubber Udders" got clogged leaving the wiper motor and its circuit board sitting underwater. I got lucky, I pulled mine out and opened it up. Dried it out and it and now it's fine. There is a thread some where on here on how to remove the motor. It's not a very hard job.
I had same problem couple of years ago. A local shop put in new wiper motor assembly for me, but screwed up the motor indexing so they wouldn't park right. I took things apart (pull off wiper arms, remove 6 screws holding cowling in place, unplug motor, remove four screws holding motor on....going by memory on # of screws, YMMV), fiddled around to get indexing correct (had to do several trial motor reinstalls to figure things out), got it right, buttoned everything up. Start to finish, about 1 hour.

If you start with new motor out of the box, it will come with install directions telling you how to index motor properly the first time.That will make it a 30 minute job, tops
Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM
8birds
Intermediate

Mr. Sam

We've spent far too much time on this. I now agree with you, the problem is with the electrics on the motor. Can you tell me if the electronics are a component or an integral part of the motor? If a component, do you know the part number? Thanks, Sam
Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

My parts info only goes from 97-02 but it just shows the motor as an assembly. The GM and AC Delco P/N is 12363318. I would think it is the same for all years.

Let me know if you need any FSM info.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Wipers Won't Park

Quick Reply: C5 Wipers Won't Park