C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 corvette fuel pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 PM
1 Evil C5
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 corvette fuel pump problems

Hello I recently bought a 2001 coupe about a week after I bought it one day I drove out to a store came back out so the car and it didn't start I had it towed to a shop they said the fuel pumps went out. The car has a dual pump drop in single unit in the left tank. I had the shop replace the fuel pumps with 2 walboro 255lph pumps. They also replaced the wiring from the pump to adapter on the tank and the fuel filter. They said the shot the wiring to the pumps and it was good. Now 4 days later after driving the car around for a little bit the car won't start and their is no humm coming from the pumps. Where should I start checking things the car has 2 pumps in the left tank because it's has a novi 2000 S/C
Old 07-06-2015, 08:25 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The OEM design was for a 20 amp fuse and wiring to support the current draw one stock pump.

If I put in two pumps I would put in a completely new circuit and not rely on the original design to handle the increased current draw.

Suggest you look at how the pumps are fused and if a fuse is the issue as a start.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:18 PM
c_white
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1^^^^^^ and I'd throw in a hot wire kit while ur there
Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 PM
1 Evil C5
Cruising

thank you for the suggestions i replaced the fuel pump fuse and relay and check the ground and it didnt help at all. the car has been running 2 255 pumps for over 4 years and 40,000 miles with no problems until now. ill look into upgrading the wiring.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Why dont you see if you are getting pressure at the rails instead of just throwing parts at it? Find the issue first and why then solve it with the necessary parts
Old 07-11-2015, 12:35 PM
RXPX
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a something to add that seemed weird to myself but may help.

I had a no start problem once, as I remember, my fuel pump would always make the 'humming' sound when the key was put forward. Car had shut off while rolling with not DTC's. Fuel Level was at a little over 1/4 tank.

When I put the key to ON, I could NOT hear the pump humming so I immediately thought the pump was the culprit. Had someone bring me gas just in case, threw it in and the car started.

Do pumps always 'hum'? Do they not power up if it thinks it's out of fuel?

Do you know if you get the no start at the same fuel level everytime?

Just thought I'd post my own findings.

Good luck and please be sure to post back what you figure out.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:13 PM
1 Evil C5
Cruising

so i had the shop pull the pumps out of the car to test them and they worked. so the shop put everything back in the car and it started right up with no problems and they didnt even change anything out. they did clear the codes though so i think it could possibly be a code causing the car to shut off the pumps but i didn't see any fuel codes. the codes are the fallowing
BO-RFA U1000 H
BO-RFA U1064 H
10-PCM PO103 H
10-PCM P1220 H
10-PCM P1514 H
10-PCM P1516 H
10-PCM P0103 H
10-PCM P1120 H
Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 PM
1 Evil C5
Cruising

Default found the problem of the bad pump

finally got my car to a shop that did some looking around and found the connector to the top of the fuel pump hanger and the wiring connector going to it was melted. with running 2 pumps in the tank it was drawing to many amps and melted the connection. looking for suggestions on whats the best way to fix this i was thinking trying an upgraded wiring harness and leave the 2 pumps in the tank but i have a feeling it will still be to many amps and melt again or should i run 1 pump in the tank and an external in line fuel pump with a separate power source thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 08:12 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I gave you my opinion in Post 2.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 corvette fuel pump problems

Quick Reply: C5 corvette fuel pump problems