C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlights are up and do not go down

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:26 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights are up and do not go down

lights come on and cut off but doors never go down on eather side. I am getting 13.5 v to both wires at the motor at the same time.it is a 2000 c5 thanks for any help
Old 07-14-2015, 08:30 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Are the motors running but the doors are not moving?

Getting voltage into and out of the motor tells me it should be running/turning unless it was bound. I don't think both motors would be bound.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:06 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Are the motors running but the doors are not moving?

Getting voltage into and out of the motor tells me it should be running/turning unless it was bound. I don't think both motors would be bound.
both motors are getting power on both wires like head light module is tell them to go up and down at the same time is module bad or could it be a bad ground thanks for your reply
Old 07-15-2015, 01:25 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

you dont have hids in them do you? try flashing your brights by pushing the stalk forward to click then backward to spring and see if that does anything. Fuses are good and both headlight modules are plugged in tight?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Unplug one motor and do your voltage test again. I want to verify if the module is really providing 12V on both wires, If it is that is your issue.

If not, the module may not be grounding the motors via G102.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:33 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Also, check that the dark green wire at the motor module has power when the headlights are off.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:27 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Also, check that the dark green wire at the motor module has power when the headlights are off.
power is on both wires with the headlight switch on or off
Old 07-16-2015, 05:40 PM
dsword
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist

Mine were down once and wouldn't come up. I manually cranked them up, then turned them on and off and they have worked fine ever since. Not a technical solution, but it's free and quick to try!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

I just looked and when I turn lights on the dash lights go off like radio and heat control lights can't see if dash lights at gauges are out or not too daylight now.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by jeffieg
The dark green wire from the car, not going to the motor. I believe it's another connector at the module.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jeffieg
OK, what does this mean? What 2 wires?
Old 07-16-2015, 07:19 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

OK, what does this mean? What 2 wires?
both wires to the motor for lights up or down
Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

inside lights for radio and controls were going out because a..holes at body shop turned down controls for inside lights sorry
Old 07-17-2015, 06:52 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Why would you not expect there to be power on both wires? The motor is just a long wire. I assume you did not disconnect the motor and measure the voltage on each as I asked?

However , with that said, I think the module is the problem. It should not be providing any power when the HL switch is OFF. In addition, even if it was providing proper power as designed it apparently is not providing a ground for the motors to run. I don't think G102 is the issue nor is the MF switch in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:00 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

Why would you not expect there to be power on both wires? The motor is just a long wire. I assume you did not disconnect the motor and measure the voltage on each as I asked?

However , with that said, I think the module is the problem. It should not be providing any power when the HL switch is OFF. In addition, even if it was providing proper power as designed it apparently is not providing a ground for the motors to run. I don't think G102 is the issue nor is the MF switch in my opinion.
I did check both wires at the female end coming from module to motor and lights and have 13.5v at the green and grey wires for the motor and checked ground at plug to 102 ground lug and getting ground
Old 07-17-2015, 06:06 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

I'd quit worrying about the motor wire voltage without the motors running. The module could easily be applying 12V to both motor wires until it commands the motors to move when it applies ground to one side. Has anyone in this thread actually measured the motor wire voltages on a known good module with the motor disconnected??

Did you check the other dark green wire? It comes from the MFS.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:10 AM
jeffieg
Intermediate

I'd quit worrying about the motor wire voltage without the motors running. The module could easily be applying 12V to both motor wires until it commands the motors to move when it applies ground to one side. Has anyone in this thread actually measured the motor wire voltages on a known good module with the motor disconnected??

Did you check the other dark green wire? It comes from the MFS.
are you talking about at the control module? I did put in a new module and no help and sorry took so long to get back to you but my back went out and I was in the floor so may be a few days to try anything so thanks for your help

Get notified of new replies

To headlights are up and do not go down

Old 07-19-2015, 04:30 PM
yellowshark454
Intermediate

Default headlights are up and do not go down

When you say you are getting a ground what test did you do? There is no mention I have seen on taking a voltage reading on the -ve part of the circuit. You need to see 0v
Old 07-19-2015, 05:54 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by yellowshark454
When you say you are getting a ground what test did you do? There is no mention I have seen on taking a voltage reading on the -ve part of the circuit. You need to see 0v
I was talking about the black ground on the plug coming to the headlight and if I understand now is module sends +v to one wire and ground to other to open and reverse to close. do I understand that right? if so I may not be getting a ground to the module so I think it was said the dark gr wire to the module with the 5 pins is the ground? comes from g102
Old 07-27-2015, 05:38 PM
jeffieg
Intermediate

I checked the dk green wire and did not have power to the module at all on or off so i ran a 12v pos to the dk green wire and lights work fine so where does the wire get the power from,the multi switch?

Quick Reply: headlights are up and do not go down