C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another Traction/ Active handling light.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 09:33 PM
ipsik
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another Traction/ Active handling light.

I have a 98 convertible and the Service vehicle soon -Traction/Active handling warning comes on.

This happened occasionally at first and would go out after the car sat then was restarted. Now it happens more often then always after a few miles.

I have changed the 2 horrible ground connectors to groups of 3 cables soldered to ring terminals and those on the ground post on both sides of the engine compartment with no better results.

Traction control remains working even when the warning says it is off. I can reset the DIC to stop flashing by pressing the reset but the orange light stays on.

Any suggestions where I should start looking for a solution.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 PM
fasttoney
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you clear codes after grounds? Try clearing codes. Take for a drive to see if it returns. If it returns, it may be that time for ebmc.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:03 PM
ipsik
Heel & Toe

Here are the codes I just got. ( if I start the car now it does not give the trac error for the moment)
TCS 6 Codes
1282 H
1285 H
1287 H
1288 H
1290 H
1292 H

Previously I cleared all the codes ( only 4) but these came back
Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

You can check the output of the steering wheel position sensor with a volt meter or tech II if you have access. This may give you an idea if the the sensor is sending the correct data or if there is a problem with the ebcm. Bad news is that the sensor is just as had to find as the ebcm.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 PM
ipsik
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all the suggestions, in looking for the ground cable near the ECBM module I decided to check the plug into the ECBM... the handle lock was pulled up so the connector was loose... I pushed the connector in and locked the handle and now no traction issue codes so far, I should have looked at that first but until this issue came up I didn't know where the ECBM was.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:00 AM
ezeddz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
See above in BLUE.

Highly unlikely that all these different sensors failed all at once.

Could be some poor grounds. Here are some links that can help you identify grounds locations and what is grounded at each location to check and clean as needed:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...locations.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...tion-long.html Post #1

I don't have a good feeling that grounds is going to be the all the causes but they are cheap to clean.

If I was a betting person I would say the EBCM is going away. All these sensors communicate to the EBCM. Not a good situation on the 97 - 2000 cars since the EBCM is not repairable and there are no new replacements available. Used is pretty much the only choice and they are NOT inexpensive.....
Hi
any chance of helping out with my code readings
1214C
2285H
2284H
0851H
0856H
2601H
Thank you
Ed
Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 AM
ezeddz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Be glad to help but please open a new thread so you don't hi-jack this one and also add the correct first character of the codes. Codes are 5 characters and always begin with an alpha character. Much easier for me to look them up when I have all 5 characters rather than just the numerics.
OK, thank you
Old 07-26-2015, 12:30 PM
dlconley
4th Gear

Default another Traction/ Active handling light.

Check the steering position sensor on the lower steering column!!

Get notified of new replies

To another Traction/ Active handling light.

Quick Reply: another Traction/ Active handling light.