C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp gold 1.85 ratio rockers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Comp gold 1.85 ratio rockers

Has anyone ran the higher ratio rockers before? Interested in seeing if there was any gains?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:10 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I ran the Yella Terra 1.8s and couldn't see any real difference.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:49 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

When you add the rockers, you also need valve springs. Then you should check the wipe pattern which if correction is require, will result in new pushrods. Lot of money for marginal gain for this single modification. There may be better ways to spend the funds.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 PM
Jeredk21
Pro

I have new springs I was going to put on a set of 243 heads and upgrade from my stock ls1 heads on my 98. So I am pulling it apart anyway. Figured aluminum roller rockers would be better than stockers and the extra ratio would hopefully help.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeredk21
I have new springs I was going to put on a set of 243 heads and upgrade from my stock ls1 heads on my 98. So I am pulling it apart anyway. Figured aluminum roller rockers would be better than stockers and the extra ratio would hopefully help.
If you search older threads plenty of guys ran 1.8's with different valve springs and had some decent gains. Ease of install , overall cheaper than a cam(associated parts needed that come with installation), and a SOTP difference.

I'm doing a very tame build on my Z which will include 1.8 rockers and some PAC valve springs. The LS6 springs are good to .570-580 lift IIRC which if I'm not mistaken will hate 1.8 rockers. Or at least will push it to the brink of valve float.

Good luck with your build and let us know how it goes.

Will you be doing a LS6 IM as well?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:15 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yes you must install better valve springs--- I saw an average 18 RWHP gains on the dyno with a stock cam and Yella Terra 1.8's --this was one of my 1st mods before changing the cam--
Depends on the year of your car--An older LS1 with a LS1 intake manifold will show somewhat less results as the intake manifold becomes the chock point--- Hoping that you have an LS6 intake as it will allow you the full 18RWHP gains--- PLUS another 10-12 RWHP over a LS1 intake even with a stock cam !!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tblu92
Yes you must install better valve springs--- I saw an average 18 RWHP gains on the dyno with a stock cam and Yella Terra 1.8's --this was one of my 1st mods before changing the cam--
Depends on the year of your car--An older LS1 with a LS1 intake manifold will show somewhat less results as the intake manifold becomes the chock point--- Hoping that you have an LS6 intake as it will allow you the full 18RWHP gains--- PLUS another 10-12 RWHP over a LS1 intake even with a stock cam !!
Quick question since we are on the topic. Did you need different pushrods or did the stock ones work?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Jeredk21
Pro

Great info tblu92 with the heads and rockers I would be thrilled to pickup 30hp total 20 would even work. I am staying in tt3 group with Nasa so I don't want to make too much power. I just want reliable. Also I do have the ls6 intake.

Thanks everyone
Old 07-25-2015, 12:02 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Not4spd
Quick question since we are on the topic. Did you need different pushrods or did the stock ones work?
I measured the valve geometry just to be safe and the STOCK pushrods were within spec with the 1.8's ----If you install different heads (as I did as my next mod) I measured the geometry again to be safe and again it was perfect-- I replaced my stock LS1 heads with stock LS6 heads---
If you buy heads that have been shaved to increase the compression ratio is when you generally have to change the pushrod lengths---
I would always check it anyway---It's easy to do
On cylinder 1 --color the top of both valve stems using a sharpie pen
Install one set of the 1.8 pushrods and rockers on that cylinder
Pull the fuse on the fuel pump and crank the engine over without starting for 10-20 seconds
A rocker arm swipe mark will show on top of the valve by wearing off the sharpie color-- You want the swipe mark to be in the CENTER of the valve tip---If it is not---either too close to the center of the engine or too close to the outer side of the engine dictates if you need shorter or longer pushrods--

Last edited by tblu92; 07-25-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tblu92
I measured the valve geometry just to be safe and the STOCK pushrods were within spec with the 1.8's ----If you install different heads (as I did as my next mod) I measured the geometry again to be safe and again it was perfect-- I replaced my stock LS1 heads with stock LS6 heads---
If you buy heads that have been shaved to increase the compression ratio is when you generally have to change the pushrod lengths---
I would always check it anyway---It's easy to do
On cylinder 1 --color the top of both valve stems using a sharpie pen
Install one set of the 1.8 pushrods and rockers on that cylinder
Pull the fuse on the fuel pump and crank the engine over without starting for 10-20 seconds
A rocker arm swipe mark will show on top of the valve by wearing off the sharpie color-- You want the swipe mark to be in the CENTER of the valve tip---If it is not---either too close to the center of the engine or too close to the outer side of the engine dictates if you need shorter or longer pushrods--
Thanks for posting this.

Get notified of new replies

To Comp gold 1.85 ratio rockers

Quick Reply: Comp gold 1.85 ratio rockers