C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***Spy Shots of NEW Hinson Motorsports C5 Short Throw Shifter***

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:00 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Default ***Spy Shots of NEW Hinson Motorsports C5 Short Throw Shifter***

We just wanted to share a few spy shots of what has been going on in our R&D department. We have been avidly working on developing the best short throw shifter for your C5 Corvette. Shown here is a picture from several weeks back, of one of the working prototypes we have been testing being pulled back out of the car for evaluation. Throughout the design process we have tested and made several changes to improve throw distance, gate width, preload centering tension, and handle designs. We have now started production of this ideal piece, and it will soon be available for purchase. If you are interested in being one of the first to get one of these new shifters, please email me and I will put you on an email list to contact you when it is available.

chris@hinsonmotorsports.com

Some of the unique features are, 4340 steel weighted threaded handles (included), billet anodized components, high grade oxide coated hardware (included), and the most unique feature of all, no centering springs to wear out. We have utilized this unique feature in other shifter designs we manufacture, and it works flawlessly to give you the perfect shift every time. With this design you get the confident feel of the "bump" out of one gear and "bump" into the next gear feel that we all look for in a short throw without all the trash and slop between gears. Our shifters also utilize heavy duty oversized stubs, to ensure long term trouble free operation. If you are or will be in the market for an aggressive short throw shifter for your C5, we have the option for you coming soon.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:06 AM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice looking product.How soon? How much?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jlaw1313@comcast.net
Nice looking product.How soon? How much?
It should be available in a few weeks. We are in the final stages in our production run currently, so a final price has not been determined yet. We do know it will be competitively priced with some of the other major quality branded shifters. If your interested in a notification when it comes out shoot me an email and I'll put you on the waiting list. chris@hinsonmotorsports.com
Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Bump.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

I thought this would be worth sharing for those of you following in this thread. This is a write up that was done in another thread. Covers the overall performance pretty well.

Brian here. Here are my two cents on the product.

I was happy with the stock C6 shifter. It was smooth and better than the C5 experience. In true cliche form, I didn't realize what I was missing until I installed the HINSON Corvette Short Throw Shifter (shameless plug). I'm running one in my LS7 Grandsport right now for design and prototype testing. Let me give you the play by play.

The shifter is a true short throw ratio design. Think F1 type shift speed with your manual T56 or TR6060. I've honestly never shifted a manual as fast this new design allows. For perspective, I have had to train my left foot to work the clutch faster. I used to wait on the shifter. Now I am waiting on my left foot to speed up. This short throw shifter is rocketship fast.

Our C6 shifter handle is currently in production. It is unique to the C6 and will accept our round ball options (photos coming soon) or the factory ****. I am currently using the handle for our C5 shifter in my C6 with a round ****, and I love the short throw. I'll post some pictures, but keep in mind the the C6 handle with round ball or factory **** option has a provision for the shift boot. The C5 handle lets the boot rest open which looks good in my opinion. Everyone will have their own preference.

The throw is incredibly short. The throw is not "notchy" like other shifters I've driven, but it is unique that it gives the definitive position with less effort. There is no guessing on whether you're in gear. Pull it easily and quickly. You feel the engagement of each position without an unnecessary effort to get there. Short throw, definitive gear engagement, and lightening fast shifts.

I'll post some videos of the shifter in action with the C5 handle in my C6 once the rain stops. It's not much fun driving hot rods in the rain. We are installing a C5 shifter for a customer next week with our new Hinson C5 long tube headers. We'll get him to chime in a personal review after the install.

We're proud of this product. Proud that it is 100% Made in the USA. It is completely unique, and it will make you fall in love with your Corvette all over again.

Brian
Old 07-24-2015, 05:48 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Old 07-27-2015, 12:35 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Don't forget to email me and get on the list. Item should be available in a little over a week, and they will go fast.

chris@hinsonmotorsports.com
Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

We will have action video up by later this weeks.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 AM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Those of you that have emailed me to be on the contact to purchase list will be getting an opportunity in the upcoming days to pre-order your shifter out of the first production run. The first production run is nearly complete, and we are working on installation guides and demonstration videos now. It should be any day now guys. Get ready.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

HERE YOU GO CORVETTE FORUM!!!!! CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR INTRO PRICING. IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP.

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-860...1997-2004.aspx

Get notified of new replies

To ***Spy Shots of NEW Hinson Motorsports C5 Short Throw Shifter***

Quick Reply: ***Spy Shots of NEW Hinson Motorsports C5 Short Throw Shifter***