C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS module?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 PM
bajapointe
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ABS module?

hello all,

I am looking at a 2000 my coupe at a dealer and they tell me the abs fault light on the dashboard is illuminated. The salesman claims that GM will no longer provide the part to repair this and they are looking fro a used module.
My question is this: Is GM still supporting cars built under the "Old" General motors? Or have they abandoned the cars built before the bankruptcy? I am hoping this guy is simply full of you know what.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:25 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bajapointe
hello all,

I am looking at a 2000 my coupe at a dealer and they tell me the abs fault light on the dashboard is illuminated. The salesman claims that GM will no longer provide the part to repair this and they are looking fro a used module.
My question is this: Is GM still supporting cars built under the "Old" General motors? Or have they abandoned the cars built before the bankruptcy? I am hoping this guy is simply full of you know what.

True story the module is no longer available. But, it has less to do with old and new GM and more to do with the fact that your car uses a Bosch 5.0 EBTCM. They were around for a few years mainly in the early C5's and some Cadillacs I believe the last 1.5 years of the C4 had them as well. But each application was custom and the modules do not interchange. Then GM moved on to the Bosch 5.3 which was much more widely used for more years and was easier to refurbish in the aftermarket. Had GM never gone through bankruptcy the module would still not be available. They pop up used on Ebay fairly regularly. Some companies claim to be able to repair them with varying degrees of success.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:41 PM
bajapointe
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the intel.....I am looking to buy the car actually. What happens if the car is run without the module? Just no ABS?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Russell Boulding
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the intel.....I am looking to buy the car actually. What happens if the car is run without the module? Just no ABS?
No ABS, Traction Control, or Active Handling (if JL4 equipped).

Currently both options "M"/no active handling and "V"/active handling are available on eBay. Maybe let the dealer know so they can make a move or you can show them what they go for to help negotiate. They are pricey, supply and demand and all that.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 AM
bajapointe
Melting Slicks

And there's nothing out there to retrofit it with? Ugh..... I love the lines of the C5 too...smh
Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Also the unit controls the braking proportion between the front and rear brakes.

However, with that said, many people drive without a functioning unit and have reported no issues.

I assume they have done the diagnostics from the codes and it really is the EBCM and not something like a wheel sensor. Might ask them what codes or codes there are and let us know.

2001-2004 and up EBCMs can still be bought new.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:14 PM
bajapointe
Melting Slicks

I've decided to steer clear of these model years. It's sad that I found a car with 10k miles and there's no fix for a failed ebcm module failure.

It's Shameful of GM not to stock parts for their flagship sports car.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I've decided to steer clear of these model years. It's sad that I found a car with 10k miles and there's no fix for a failed ebcm module failure.

It's Shameful of GM not to stock parts for their flagship sports car.

Just curious what years you are steering clear of? If 01-04 I would like to know the reason.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:46 AM
bajapointe
Melting Slicks

Only staying away from 1997-2000 due to EBCM module failures.

Oh and dealer says they have pulled codes and they are sure it is the module. It is what it is.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:58 PM
b1663
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

google ABS fixer. Also you can fix yourself. The threads will tell you how. I just completed this today and it worked.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:30 PM
Scn1998
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very few have had any luck with repair. Currently for us driving the older C5s we will be scrounging through junkyards to find replacements if they fail...
Old 07-26-2015, 11:20 AM
TorqueWinsRaces
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I let a friend borrow my car. I still don't know what he did exactly, but when I got the car back my ABS light was on. After much troubleshooting I found that the cable that goes to my front right wheel had been smashed by the a-arm and it cut the wire internally. Yes, on the exterior you could not tell that anything was wrong, it has a thick rubber coating that hid the point where it was cut.

I replaced the cable and all is well.

It couldn't hurt to pull the codes to see which wheel is activating the light, then test the cable for that wheel.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:05 PM
dlconley
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS module?

My code for ABS and active handling was caused by the steering position sensor on the lower steering column. Not to bad a job for a novice mechanic. Check out!!

Get notified of new replies

To ABS module?

Quick Reply: ABS module?