C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret mild heads/cam for daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Anyone regret mild heads/cam for daily driver?

Little background, I got my car back on the road after my PCM meltdown - I've daily driven it the past 12 years or so and it's up to 205k miles. Engine wise I only have a Honker and Z06 Ti exhaust + aftermarket X pipe (only cause the OE one broke). I'm not interested in blow the doors down performance, and haven't been to the drag strip in over 10 years, though I do enjoy some spirited driving and can appreciate a powerful car.

I have to do a lot of maintenance including replacing the harmonic balancer and the AC compressor, and from what I've researched the older LS1 oil pumps may fail. Soooo while I'm in there, I thought about putting in a mild cam and heads.

Thus, I'm on the fence- if I should just leave it stock, or take the plunge and do some internal engine mods.

I talked to a tuner vendor here already and he recommended if I'm doing the cam +LS2 heads, should also do the lifters (and of course the valve springs, etc).

Other considerations, I'd do the work myself then have it tuned. I've never been inside an engine before, but I have gotten quite good at rebuilding manual transmissions including the T56 I also have a friend who is skilled in LS engines to help if I run into a jam, so this would be a learning experience instead of just to go faster. Figure materials + tuning alone will be $2000-2500ish. Also considering how the early LS1s are the slowest of the LS series and there's lots of potential to wake up the engine.

Butttt... I've been down the modifications for other cars road before and usually when it plays out, I regret buying all these go fast mods, they either compromise drivability/comfort, MPG, reliability, or causes me to upgrade something else.

Thus, anyone have input on your experienced with a mild head/cam package? I don't mean specifically what make/models as there's plenty of threads, but in the bigger picture in general.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:55 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ericdwong
Little background, I got my car back on the road after my PCM meltdown - I've daily driven it the past 12 years or so and it's up to 205k miles. Engine wise I only have a Honker and Z06 Ti exhaust + aftermarket X pipe (only cause the OE one broke). I'm not interested in blow the doors down performance, and haven't been to the drag strip in over 10 years, though I do enjoy some spirited driving and can appreciate a powerful car.

I have to do a lot of maintenance including replacing the harmonic balancer and the AC compressor, and from what I've researched the older LS1 oil pumps may fail. Soooo while I'm in there, I thought about putting in a mild cam and heads.

Thus, I'm on the fence- if I should just leave it stock, or take the plunge and do some internal engine mods.

I talked to a tuner vendor here already and he recommended if I'm doing the cam +LS2 heads, should also do the lifters (and of course the valve springs, etc).

Other considerations, I'd do the work myself then have it tuned. I've never been inside an engine before, but I have gotten quite good at rebuilding manual transmissions including the T56 I also have a friend who is skilled in LS engines to help if I run into a jam, so this would be a learning experience instead of just to go faster. Figure materials + tuning alone will be $2000-2500ish. Also considering how the early LS1s are the slowest of the LS series and there's lots of potential to wake up the engine.

Butttt... I've been down the modifications for other cars road before and usually when it plays out, I regret buying all these go fast mods, they either compromise drivability/comfort, MPG, reliability, or causes me to upgrade something else.

Thus, anyone have input on your experienced with a mild head/cam package? I don't mean specifically what make/models as there's plenty of threads, but in the bigger picture in general.
Do you have a power goal in mind? I know you mentioned you wanted something with somewhat tame manners. Yet, what power level do you want to obtain? Personally I see no need for heads and cam for a mild mannered street driven car. There are plenty of other ways to achieve decent power.
The following users liked this post:
ericdwong (10-25-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 01:44 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

I drive my Z daily, is that the kind of level you're talking about? If so maybe some used 243 heads and a Z cam or similar.
The following 2 users liked this post by grantv:
ericdwong (10-25-2015), redzg (02-08-2018)
Old 07-24-2015, 02:21 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm not sure at that mileage I wouldn't do a full rebuild and do your upgrades then.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:20 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would recommend keeping the cam small and stay with a milder lobe to minimize valve train issues/maintenance. Stay with GM heads to keep the PM valve guides and prevent the need for aftermarket rockers. I would have AI do my heads if I were going with GM heads.

I also wanted something relatively maintenance free. I have an XER cam so I know that future valve spring refreshing is required, but I used all good parts when I did mine. Morel lifters, double taper pushrods to prevent valve bounce and pushrod flex, killer timing setup, ported oil pump (Mamo), etc. I was careful with each part to ensure there were minimal compromises for longevity of the motor.

The one thing I would change were I to do it over would be a milder lobe cam.
ericdwong (10-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 09:06 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd say just don't bonkers on the cam, and you'll be ok. get something low or mid 220's.
seriously, things also get much louder if you go with headers.

Last edited by dagon138; 07-25-2015 at 09:08 PM.
ericdwong (10-25-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

My $0.02 worth....

If BIG POWER isn't your goal, I'd stick with the mild "bolt-ons", especially with that many miles on the car. It appears that you already have a higher flowing air intake, so maybe a ported throttle body. If you can get more air in the engine, it needs to be able to be exhausted. Headers would be a good "bang for the buck" deal, and if you do go with heads/cam mods, you'll need the headers anyway.

To my experience, the more radical you get, the less reliable you get....
ericdwong (12-03-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When you mod a car with higher miles,, you have to take into account the condition of the following things:

- Clutch and clutch system components
- Torque Tube bearings and rubber couplers
- Engine Mounts/trans rubber mounts
- Valve rocker trunnion bearings
- Cam Bearings (older high mile engines usually have worn cam bearings.

When you do a cam change, its always a good (recommended) practice to change the lifter and lifter buckets

To change those you have to remove the heads. IMHO,, From what Ive learned (the hard way); I always install ARP Head Studs instead of using ONE TIME USE torque to yield OEM head bolts. Ive seen too many people strip out head bolt holes in the block. Makes a VERY BAD DAY when that happens.

You also have to figure in the condition of the differential. What shape are the limited slip clutches in,, Are your clutch pack springs (beleaview springs) broken. When you make more power, your going to want to play. If your tires, suspension is not in good shape, you will get wheel hop under that new found power and possibly snap a differential output shaft.

when I went to 450 RWHP from a first mod of 390 RWHP, my clutch started sticking to the floor under full power runs. It was most likely a clutch master cylinder issue. I ended up installing all new clutch components.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 07-26-2015 at 09:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Curlee:
ericdwong (10-25-2015), LeoLivinLife (06-07-2020)
Old 07-27-2015, 12:14 AM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Great input everyone. I was away this weekend so this is certainly lots to think about.
Power wise I'd be happy with C5 Z06 or a little more than C5 Z06 performance.

The suspension is in decent shape, replaced all ball joints about 50k miles ago with Moog and Spicers. I have mild bolt on suspension mods too, Z06 springs, Hotchkis bars and Koni FSD shocks. I'm about to get rid of the Baer tracker tie rods, they are loose and noisy so part of my project is to replace those since the steering rack will be out anyway. Differential seems to be in good shape too, just changed its fluid and of the Trans and plan on getting a Blackstone analysis on each.

Car is on its third clutch, with LUK Pro Gold and Fidzanza flywheel. I've been in the transmission before to replace some synchros though that was several years ago and added the DTE brace. My last car (a Nissan) I kept blowing the trans and learned how to work on a manual transmission. Back then I had more time and energy on my hands, these days I'm not looking forwards to doing another transmission job on the C5...

Right now I'm leaning towards chickening out and just leaving it stock, just seems like too much more that can go wrong at the high mileage and even more $ to sink in. Not interested in headers, I don't like loud cars and think the Z06 Ti and aftermarket X pipe and stock manifolds actually sounds decent without giving me a headache.

I bet part of the reason my car has been fairly reliable is because it gets the most miles from mildly driving to and from work. Thinking about my driving habits these days I rarely wind out the motor as it is (10 years ago that was a different story ) Thanks for the input, still deciding (especially if I wind up changing the oil pump and timing chain as part of my harmonic balancer/AC compressor replacement project)
Old 07-28-2015, 12:27 AM
ImmortalC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mild build that is still a good daily driver I'd say LS6 cam, Port and polish throttle body, and some shorty headers with 243 or 799 heads. Still a daily with better power.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:30 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Do a mild setup. 243 heads, ls6 intake, small cam.

Should net you 380-390rwhp without longtubes.

With longtubes maybe 400!

Catted longtubes through z06 Ti wouldnt be that loud..
ericdwong (10-25-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 01:21 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I went with a medium sized cam, 227/230, LS6 intake, 243 heads and longtubes. It's an A4 so I also added a 3000 stall converter. After a really good street tune, I have stock Z power in my coupe! Drives great.
The following 2 users liked this post by myredhead1:
ericdwong (10-25-2015), LeoLivinLife (06-07-2020)
Old 02-08-2018, 03:47 PM
99FRC/7
1st Gear

Default C5 /LS7 blues

I have a 99 FRC with a LS7. Can someone please explain to me why I can't get more than 500rwhp. I have all the upgrades, heads have been done, exhaust, Fast Intake, trunion upgrade, and BTR cam. Car rides great, no surging or bucking. I've been told by the tuner it's the ECU. Meaning that it's slow and can't keep up. Am I wrong to think that my car should have just as much power as the C6 Z06 with the same upgrades? PLEASE HELP
Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Get a new tuner and start a new topic
LeoLivinLife (06-07-2020)
Old 02-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Scott99Z
Intermediate

Default Heads/cam/LT/etc or Blower?

Option 1 - Heads/cam/long tubes/intake and all the associated stuff figure 450+ rwhp and I would imagine ~125 trap speeds.

Option 2 - A&A supercharger kit - Some searching indicates 475+ rwhp but what scares me is that with some searching (admit minimal) I see guys saying 115 and 118 trap speeds and others high 120s even 130. The car went 109 stock. Can I really bolt the kit on, get tuned and run 125+ or will it be a dyno number car? Frankly I could care less what the dyno says, I would much rather see trap speeds because that’s what it does on the road.

The car is a ‘99 M6 C5 I am getting from my dad. The whole heads/cam route I am familiar with and pretty much know it’ll deliver. When I add up all costs a supercharger kit is equal if not less. Can I really bolt the kit on, have stock like manners, except when on the gas hard and still run 125+ trap speeds? I may be tainted (been sort of car “retired” for 15 years) but my LT1 and early LS1 days it always seemed like forced induction sounded good but never really delivered. Have things changed? I’m intrigued to try it but I want to either do the blower kit and basically that’s it or else do the entire heads cam road. Not a blower but then need headers and then a cam and meth injection and on and on. I’d rather a 125+ trap speed and drive it and have fun and be done.

I’ll also be doing (everything is myself) clutch, rebuild torque tube, rebuild tranny, new bushings, fuel pump (with blower or do anyways if NA). If blower I would put new valve springs but ideally end there and bolt the kit on.

Comments, thoughts?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone regret mild heads/cam for daily driver?

Quick Reply: Anyone regret mild heads/cam for daily driver?