C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door Lock Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Carquestions
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Door Lock Fix

If anyone is interested I made a video about fixing the power door lock passenger side. I took the relays apart and sure enough the contacts are burned and it fixed the problem immediately. The video is on YT and call "
"
Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Carquestions
If anyone is interested I made a video about fixing the power door lock passenger side. I took the relays apart and sure enough the contacts are burned and it fixed the problem immediately. The video is on YT and call
Thank you for taking out the time to do this video.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:30 AM
erufle
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just what I need!!! Can you please give me the name of the company you bought the relays from? Also, do you have the correct part number(s)? Knowing the part numbers would curtail the anxiety that comes with buying parts that look like, but don't function like, similar parts? I would also like to know where to get the solder sucker. Finally, is the scraper you used to remove the (was it silicone?) from the bottom of the old pins before you melted and sucked out the old solder a specialty tool? Do you know where to get it? Sorry for all of the questions, but this kind of work requires proper tools and specific parts. I don't want to ruin something else
Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by erufle
Just what I need!!! Can you please give me the name of the company you bought the relays from? Also, do you have the correct part number(s)? Knowing the part numbers would curtail the anxiety that comes with buying parts that look like, but don't function like, similar parts? I would also like to know where to get the solder sucker. Finally, is the scraper you used to remove the (was it silicone?) from the bottom of the old pins before you melted and sucked out the old solder a specialty tool? Do you know where to get it? Sorry for all of the questions, but this kind of work requires proper tools and specific parts. I don't want to ruin something else

I have ordered a couple of these to do the replacements. I got the parts from Digi-Key. Part number 255-1240-ND $1.72 each, here is a link to the relay http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...ds=255-1240-ND.

There is one mention in the video I do not agree with. It was mentioned to use a small drill bit to clean out the holes for the relay. Use the desoldering tool and iron to heat the contact from one side and suck the solder out from the other. This will prevent damage to the contacts.

Gary
Old 07-27-2015, 12:29 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Excellent video. I have helped many people do this with a link I worked on a couple of years ago and I will also provide this in the future as an additional DIY.

For others, the 3rd relay on the left top is the same type and is for the heated mirror. The larger one on the right is for the power windows and it is just one relay.

Mr. Sam
Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 AM
erufle
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
I have ordered a couple of these to do the replacements. I got the parts from Digi-Key. Part number 255-1240-ND $1.72 each, here is a link to the relay http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...ds=255-1240-ND.

There is one mention in the video I do not agree with. It was mentioned to use a small drill bit to clean out the holes for the relay. Use the desoldering tool and iron to heat the contact from one side and suck the solder out from the other. This will prevent damage to the contacts.

Gary

Thank you all for the info!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

hells yeah. I need to do mine this is perfect
Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

If you don't feel confident enough to do this fix you can always send your module to have it repaired. $47.95
http://www.autoclockrepair.com/c5_corvette_electronics

Get notified of new replies

To Power Door Lock Fix

Quick Reply: Power Door Lock Fix