C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Housing Question --

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:47 PM
mneblett
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Thermostat Housing Question --

2004 coupe with 45K miles.

I'm changing my water pump (I had to pull the steering rack to get it resealed, and previously had been smelling coolant I could not attribute to the reservoir, so I'm changing the pump while I'm in there -- the pump may not be the source, but for $94 the pump will be eliminated as a coolant smell source).

Being a 2004, I have what I believe is the LS2 pump. The replacement is an OE pump. I'm also replacing the thermostat, which has the same square cross-section rubber gasket around its edge as the outgoing thermostat. The new thermostat and old housing bolted to the new water pump exactly as I would have expected.

The instructions with the pump show two alternatives, a thermostat housing with a gasket, and a housing with an o-ring. The original pump on my '04 had neither. The instructions don't cover the "no additional seal" option.

I am guessing that the gasket and o-ring that came with the OE replacement pump are not used in my LS-2-type application, but wanted to confirm that before I put the car back together.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:25 AM
Gaspo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mneblett
2004 coupe with 45K miles.

I'm changing my water pump (I had to pull the steering rack to get it resealed, and previously had been smelling coolant I could not attribute to the reservoir, so I'm changing the pump while I'm in there -- the pump may not be the source, but for $94 the pump will be eliminated as a coolant smell source).

Being a 2004, I have what I believe is the LS2 pump. The replacement is an OE pump. I'm also replacing the thermostat, which has the same square cross-section rubber gasket around its edge as the outgoing thermostat. The new thermostat and old housing bolted to the new water pump exactly as I would have expected.

The instructions with the pump show two alternatives, a thermostat housing with a gasket, and a housing with an o-ring. The original pump on my '04 had neither. The instructions don't cover the "no additional seal" option.

I am guessing that the gasket and o-ring that came with the OE replacement pump are not used in my LS-2-type application, but wanted to confirm that before I put the car back together.

Thanks!
i've got to assume there is either a gasket or an o ring. how else would it seal? my car is a 98 and has an o ring. the thermostat/housing are all one piece.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspo
i've got to assume there is either a gasket or an o ring. how else would it seal? my car is a 98 and has an o ring. the thermostat/housing are all one piece.
Yep...

https://www.google.com/search?q=2002...IV0gWSCh1IYwJp

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat Housing Question --

Quick Reply: Thermostat Housing Question --