C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla ATAK vs Corsa Extreme?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 AM
John_B
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Borla ATAK vs Corsa Extreme?!

I've been searching and reading hundreds of threads and listening to probably every YouTube video ever created by this point lol I am trying to only do this once and can not decide on exhaust.... Yes I know it's personal preference and its best to hear it in person but there really aren't many c5's I see around me to hear it, especially with more than a catback

I'm stuck between these two, at first I was 100% with corsa extreme because I heard a lot of drone with the borla stingers (all old threads, so old borla design) then I saw a few with borla ATAK and I think it sounds great but I just don't see enough about it to convince me. The YouTube videos I've seen of corsa seem to be better quality and audio than the borla so I try to take that into consideration.

So I'm looking for advice and videos or experiences on this very subjective and opinionated topic, but the more I hear the better (or worse?) I know they are two different tones and the borla is a deeper tone vs the corsa "exotic" sound.

Which idle's louder?
Which is louder at WOT?
If you've heard both or had both, which would you prefer and why?
How do the borla ATAK's compare to the old stingers in sound?

Please keep in mind my Z has long tubes, high flow cats and a cam... So I'm looking for people with similar setups, not just a catback on a stock car. I don't mind a little drone as long as it's not head splitting and is going to drive my crazy after a week. I like LOUD but only if it has a good tone, not just volume.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 AM
John_B
Racer

I'll also add that the original borla stingers are also an option, also would be the cheapest because it's the older design. I don't want it to drone real bad but I've heard mixed reviews on it.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:21 AM
2001 C5ster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Corsa Xtreme catback for my 2001 C5.
I have stock manifold and cats, but it was VERY quiet, I was very dissapointed and swapped exhaust with another local forum member.
Not sure how loud you want, but the Xtreme was very not-extreme on my car.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 AM
John_B
Racer

I want it loud. But your car is stock with a catback, I have headers high flow cats and a cam so any of my choices should be loud enough. It will be much louder than just a catback
Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I love my corsa xtremes... they are pretty loud on my car and if someone doesn't think it's loud then they are probably deaf... if I were in your shoes the decision would be pretty easy, corsa and borla have completely different tones and personally I am not a fan or borla at all... the xtremes also have one of the least restrictive designs rather than running straight pipes/cutouts/etc

Last edited by neutron82; 07-28-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 AM
John_B
Racer

Originally Posted by neutron82
I love my corsa xtremes... they are pretty loud on my car and if someone doesn't think it's loud then they are probably deaf... if I were in your shoes the decision would be pretty easy, corsa and borla have completely different tones and personally I am not a fan or borla at all... the xtremes also have one of the least restrictive designs rather than running straight pipes/cutouts/etc
Yea corsa sound pretty loud once you add headers lol. I go back and forth, some videos make me like borla better and some make me like the corsa. It's so hard to go off YouTube

I'm pretty sure I would be extremely happy with either one, I just don't want to pick one, eventually hear the other in person and wish I would of got that one instead.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:51 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

even louder with a cam and more mods... where are you located?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM
John_B
Racer

even louder with a cam and more mods... where are you located?
Long Island, New York... There's a decent amount of vette's around here but not too many c5's.

And yeah I have long tubes, high flow cats, cam, fast intake
Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I like borla way more than corsa on any GM vehicle. After hearing a mildly Cammed longtube 5th gen with the borla atak I was sold on it. It's silent when you want it to be but screams bloody murder at full throttle.

Borla just sounds more muscular and angry. Which I like in a vette
Old 07-28-2015, 12:34 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by John_B
Long Island, New York... There's a decent amount of vette's around here but not too many c5's.

And yeah I have long tubes, high flow cats, cam, fast intake
ah, there are quite a few modded c5's in my area and I would show you mine if you were local... wish I had some videos but I don't, I have a gopro but it never seems to be around when I could put it to use

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Borla just sounds more muscular and angry. Which I like in a vette
I dunno, maybe compared to the sport/touring but compared to the xtreme on a comparatively modded car I would disagree... the thing I don't like about borla is the tone is almost too muffled, it sounds ok while cruising and whatnot but when you go wide open it just seems to fall flat, like you aren't really at wot... the corsas have a more "open" sound and scream at wot
Old 07-28-2015, 06:06 PM
John_B
Racer

I'm very curious about the borla ATAK. I've seen only 2-3 videos on a c5 but it sounded really good. Idle's louder than the stingers and overall louder but no drone. Right now i would choose Corsa extreme over the stingers, but i'm trying to find people who have the atak.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:10 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

ah, there are quite a few modded c5's in my area and I would show you mine if you were local... wish I had some videos but I don't, I have a gopro but it never seems to be around when I could put it to use

I dunno, maybe compared to the sport/touring but compared to the xtreme on a comparatively modded car I would disagree... the thing I don't like about borla is the tone is almost too muffled, it sounds ok while cruising and whatnot but when you go wide open it just seems to fall flat, like you aren't really at wot... the corsas have a more "open" sound and scream at wot
Yeah they scream, like a European raspy scream.

It's not a bad sound but it's not deep and muscular
Old 07-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Cheechsmith
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John_B
I want it loud. But your car is stock with a catback, I have headers high flow cats and a cam so any of my choices should be loud enough. It will be much louder than just a catback
My Z06 has headers,high flow cats,cam and heads. The Corsa Extreme is quiet and drone free below 3k rpm. Anything 4k and up it is very loud.
Like black flagged off the track loud. Nice solid deep sound at idle and enhances your cams lope.

What's funny is I have to run my stock mufflers on the track and the Corsa on the street.

Guess it's the times we live in now
Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 PM
John_B
Racer

Originally Posted by Cheechsmith
My Z06 has headers,high flow cats,cam and heads. The Corsa Extreme is quiet and drone free below 3k rpm. Anything 4k and up it is very loud.
Like black flagged off the track loud. Nice solid deep sound at idle and enhances your cams lope.

What's funny is I have to run my stock mufflers on the track and the Corsa on the street.

Guess it's the times we live in now
Lol, thats what i'm looking for. I love everything about the volume and how loud the corsa is and at idle you really hear the cam lope... I think i need to just hear one in person at WOT and make sure it's not too raspy or high pitched for me in the upper RPM's
Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
Yeah they scream, like a European raspy scream.

It's not a bad sound but it's not deep and muscular
hmmm, my car doesn't sound anything like a euro car and definitely sounds like muscle, just not the old school small block chevy kind of sound... I've had nothing but compliments on mine but it is heavily modded, they aren't near as loud on a stock car but the op's car isn't stock either... what's crazy about the xtremes is that they do such a good job keeping the cabin noise down sometimes you don't realize how loud they are on the outside... I've had this happen many times when racing other people and they hit the rev limiter because they couldn't hear their own car
Old 08-04-2015, 04:05 AM
John_B
Racer

Anyone else? Right now it looks like I'll be getting corsa, but I'd like to find more people who have the borla ATAK before I make the decision
Old 08-04-2015, 06:08 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my Borla ATAK system for $900 and I can honestly say it's the best $900 I've ever spent. I've heard C5s with the extremes by cross and it's super raspy. The Borla ATAKs are muscular sounding. Also I know the website that sells the ATAKs for 900 if you are interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Borla ATAK vs Corsa Extreme?!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 PM
John_B
Racer

Originally Posted by VengeanceVette
I bought my Borla ATAK system for $900 and I can honestly say it's the best $900 I've ever spent. I've heard C5s with the extremes by cross and it's super raspy. The Borla ATAKs are muscular sounding. Also I know the website that sells the ATAKs for 900 if you are interested.

Definitely interested in the website, if you'd rather just PM me a link.

Do you have just the catback? or headers, no cats, a cam? whats your setup? and any chance you have a video? How loud does it idle? i know the corsa's idle loud and i'll really be able to hear the cam lope which i like a lot, where borla stingers don't really idle that loud from what i've seen. I'm afraid of exactly what you said, the corsa being too raspy, but just haven't heard enough ATAK to convince me
Old 08-04-2015, 08:36 PM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Borla in my opinion sounds pretty good....

I have a 97 with an LS3, headers, cam, Borla xall the way back to the Atak. I recently went to a supercharger set up and kept the cam and Atak but the sound is just a little different. However this video clip below (video quality sucks, sound is ok) is from when it was still NA just to give you an idea. I think Borla has just a little deeper of an exhaust note compared to the Corsa. Both sound really good IMHO, it's really a matter of preference. I've had Borlas on both Vette's and I loved the sound of both. I prefer the Atak simply because the drone is gone compared to the old/original Stingers I had before.

http://vid1148.photobucket.com/album...psidtcsgxz.mp4

Again it is really a matter of preference. Good luck to you.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:53 PM
John_B
Racer

Originally Posted by ezrider4u2
I have a 97 with an LS3, headers, cam, Borla xall the way back to the Atak. I recently went to a supercharger set up and kept the cam and Atak but the sound is just a little different. However this video clip below (video quality sucks, sound is ok) is from when it was still NA just to give you an idea. I think Borla has just a little deeper of an exhaust note compared to the Corsa. Both sound really good IMHO, it's really a matter of preference. I've had Borlas on both Vette's and I loved the sound of both. I prefer the Atak simply because the drone is gone compared to the old/original Stingers I had before.

http://vid1148.photobucket.com/album...psidtcsgxz.mp4

Again it is really a matter of preference. Good luck to you.
Thanks for the input. It's definitely a matter of preference and between a deeper tone or higher pitched tone, just getting all the opinions I can before spending $1,000+ on something thats just for sound lol. and like you just showed, a video i never saw thats not on youtube

Quick Reply: Borla ATAK vs Corsa Extreme?!