C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for next mod, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 08:28 AM
2001 C5ster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for next mod, suggestions?

I have cut open the foglight shrouds and done the zip tie mod, so that covers the 'cold air intake', I also have a catback installed as well as a diablosport custom tune.

I live in California, so long tubes are not an options, and I read short tubes (after installation cost) are a relative waste of money, as are x-pipes (which I'm told are pretty much just for sound).

Other than a gear swap, which looks to cost (parts+labor) around $1200, what is the next logical performance step. A mild cam? Ported heads? Im open to suggestions, just has to be CA legal (or undectectable) and I'm looking to spend under a $1k. ...and please don't just say do do the gears, I know they make the biggest seat of the pants improvement, but I dont want to alter them.

Last edited by 2001 C5ster; 07-27-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

It ALL depends on what you really want out of the engine. I couldn't live in CA cause I wanted a LOT out of mine..

Some relatively cost free mods that all add up are:

Add some LS7 exhaust manifolds and while there OFF,, port them for better flow. The uninformed will never know the difference as they are Cast Iron. There's a post on exactly what it takes and what you will gain in tech some where...

Port your intake manifold and TB for a few more HP.

When its all modded, get it tuned for best optimized efficiency.

A good set of heads and a nice mild cam will do a LOT more but cost a LOT more. With heads and cam, you should easily be in the 420 RWHP area.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 PM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Where in Cali are you??
Old 07-27-2015, 08:20 PM
2001 C5ster
Advanced

Originally Posted by red88L98convert
Where in Cali are you??
I'm in Bakersfield for now, but it really doesnt matter, the air ***** are statewide
Old 07-27-2015, 08:32 PM
imlowr2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in So Cal as well and can relate. Unfortunately, our cars aren't old enough to avoid smog inspections. I recently got my Vet, but the only mod I'm looking at is changing the exhaust for now. Don't want to break into the engine although hp is always a nice option. I've the brakes done with drilled rotors and lowered the car as well. The air ****'s probably don't like that either.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Save your money for a while.
Call Andy or Josh at A&A Corvette in Oxnard

SuperCharge it!!!

100% CARB smog legal.

Drives like stock, until you nail it, then ..........

Don
Old 07-28-2015, 06:34 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by donald4972
Save your money for a while.
Call Andy or Josh at A&A Corvette in Oxnard

SuperCharge it!!!

100% CARB smog legal.

Drives like stock, until you nail it, then ..........

Don
Try to remember that some folks don't have the means or desire to
spend a lot of money on a SC or turbo and all of the extra's.
The OP wanted to spend 1k not 10k.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 PM
red88L98convert
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in CA too.....it does make a difference where you're at. Certain areas are exempt from smog checks. Population and altitude are the main factors.
The car itself isn't exempt, it just doesn't have to do the bi-annual smog check.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 PM
imlowr2
Racer

Originally Posted by red88L98convert
I'm in CA too.....it does make a difference where you're at. Certain areas are exempt from smog checks. Population and altitude are the main factors.
The car itself isn't exempt, it just doesn't have to do the bi-annual smog check.
Where did you get this information? The smog checks are regulated by the State of California and Department of Motor Vehicles. They regulate any city/area within the State of California. I've never heard of any area being exempt from smog checks, especially as strict of laws we have in California? What areas are you referring to that are exempt?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:58 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by road pilot
Try to remember that some folks don't have the means or desire to
spend a lot of money on a SC or turbo and all of the extra's.
The OP wanted to spend 1k not 10k.

That, is why I wrote to the OP to 'save your money'!

Sometimes, something worth having, is worth waiting for; and in this case, saving for.

Don
Old 07-29-2015, 12:09 AM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Why wouldn't a set of longtubes pass smog as long as they're ran in conjunction with a ceramic style catalytic converter & all the AIR stuff still hooked up? I'm pretty sure that style setup would pass smog no problem and you'd stand to gain 30rwhp in conjunction with a good PCM tune.

The very first thing anyone with a C5 needs to do is throw a colder thermostat in there & have someone turn the fans down some. Those cars run WAY too hot from the factory. I've actually fixed overheating problems (while sitting in traffic) simply by adding a 160 stat & kicking the fans on around 190. Makes a big difference and the car will thank you.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:46 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ Josh - two things:

* I am no expert, but I believe the CA law states you cannot have the collectors past the bell housing (or back of the block) which is why LTs are a no go.

* second point, although I agree with you about running hot in traffic I read somewhere on this site that GM feels these LS1 / LS6 motors were designed to run a bit hot to last longer. Goes against conventional wisdom I know, but for certain the oil temp needs to get above 212 to burn off moisture.

Don't take that the wrong way, just posting what I read and interested in your feedback. Sounds like you're a tuner with a bit of experience
Old 07-31-2015, 05:51 AM
2001 C5ster
Advanced

Thank you for the feedback everyone,
So it sounds like my options in CA are either gears or forced induction, neither or which I was too hot on the idea of, since gears will run around $1200 and a super/turbo is $5k+
What about something like boring out/replacing cylinder liners, stroker kit, or new valves or springs? Are those all very expensive as well, say, over $1000-1300?
It seems like those would be hard to detect by the air *****...
Old 07-31-2015, 09:19 AM
imlowr2
Racer

Originally Posted by 2001 C5ster
Thank you for the feedback everyone,
So it sounds like my options in CA are either gears or forced induction, neither or which I was too hot on the idea of, since gears will run around $1200 and a super/turbo is $5k+
What about something like boring out/replacing cylinder liners, stroker kit, or new valves or springs? Are those all very expensive as well, say, over $1000-1300?
It seems like those would be hard to detect by the air *****...
I would think your going to spend well over that easily. One, you need to tear the engine apart to bore the cylinders (why do that if your cylinders are fine) Also, when you bore the cylinders, you tend to increase the possibility of the engine running hotter. The stroker kit again requires disassembly of the engine. Unless your doing the work yourself, most shops charge a minimum of $75-$100 an hour in labor. You can do the math! If you look around, you may find gears much cheaper than what you quoted. I'd start there. If your not happy, then go to plan B.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Chichi1986
Instructor

Sounds like you dont really want your car to be fast, so might as well do things to it to make you feel like its faster. Get the concept. Add a nice short shifter or maybe even some nice seats and steering wheel. IDK
Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 AM
imlowr2
Racer

OK, I'm gonna solve this problem for you here. Buy a nitrous oxide system. They are cheap (under a $1000) will give you a ton of power when you want it. All you do is push a button and hold on.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:31 PM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Engine wise, nothing under 1k. Except an under drive pulley, which isn't worth the hassle to do by itself IMO.
Do you have a performance tune? I'd suggest that or do some suspension mods.
I still have my z06 sway bars and springs I'd sell for cheap in the garage if you want to take a drive and get a&a install and tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for next mod, suggestions?

Quick Reply: Looking for next mod, suggestions?