C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default K&N air intake

What kind of results will i get with this? is it worth $400 I'm trying to find out if i can get a little bit more performance without spending a fortune. My car is a 2002 stock 5.7L manual trans. Thank you
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

You will probably get more performance by spending the money on a great scan tune. This will help you increase throttle response, more power in the low to mid power band, and a few more total HP. There are several forum members who can help you with a tune.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordy M
You will probably get more performance by spending the money on a great scan tune. This will help you increase throttle response, more power in the low to mid power band, and a few more total HP. There are several forum members who can help you with a tune.
What does a scan tune do? do i have to take it to a shop to do this? Im not to keen on engine stuff but wanna be :P
Old 07-27-2015, 09:40 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

K&N publishes dyno results on their web site. Note: their results show that early cars get more from an intake than the later ones, which of course were up 5 bhp over the early cars from the factory.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:44 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

If your wanting the most bang for your buck... buy, a used Vararam CIA from the parts for sale section, they come up for sale fairly often (make sure it's the right one for your model) and install it... it's not that hard... I did it for $150 and a little time... I did call Vararam and ordered ALL new seals, green filter and kit to clean and treat the filter...I LOVE it...
Old 07-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
If your wanting the most bang for your buck... buy, a used Vararam CIA from the parts for sale section, they come up for sale fairly often (make sure it's the right one for your model) and install it... it's not that hard... I did it for $150 and a little time... I did call Vararam and ordered ALL new seals, green filter and kit to clean and treat the filter...I LOVE it...
100% On the MARK! I AGREE!!!

NO! That air filter is NOT worth that cash!

TUNING : Get all the MODS that you can afford done to your engine and then find a shop that can tune it. A tune by a professional shop usually cost $400-$500. YEP,,, that is correct.

HOWEVER,, If you want your PCM to be more optimized for a little less cash, you can purchase a MAIL ORDER Tune from one of the forum sponsored tuners. You send your PCM to a tuner, and he flashes in a tune for the mods that you have added to your engine. They are usually around $150. You will gain HP and throttle response from the modifications and more after the PCM is tuned.

A very good tuner for the in the shop tune OR the mail order tune is Chuck Cow @ Corvettes of Westchester NY. Chuck also offers a throttle enhancement that (COW BOOSTER) makes your throttle response a LOT more sensitive and responsive.

Bill
Old 07-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

What goals do you want from your car?? How much power do you want to increase??? What's your budget???

Adding that K&N air filter will most likely net you 5-6 HP over the stock. Not much.. for that much cash.

A VARARAM is a true cold air intake and will get you 10-12 in you current configuration and is a solid foundation for future modifications and will enable you to get the most out of a cold air induction intake.

Your 2002 already has the improved GM LS6 style intake manifold so don't be fooled into purchasing an LS6 intake manifold.

Bill
Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
What goals do you want from your car?? How much power do you want to increase??? What's your budget???

Adding that K&N air filter will most likely net you 5-6 HP over the stock. Not much.. for that much cash.

A VARARAM is a true cold air intake and will get you 10-12 in you current configuration and is a solid foundation for future modifications and will enable you to get the most out of a cold air induction intake.

Your 2002 already has the improved GM LS6 style intake manifold so don't be fooled into purchasing an LS6 intake manifold.

Bill
And for future mods... Chuck will insist that you have a Vararam before tuning your car...WHY? Because it's the most efficient air intake for him to tune your car with...DO NOT get the Power Duct and run the MAF in the STOCK location.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

OP seems like you are unsure of what you really want to do. In one of your threads you wanted twin turbos with a 2k budget then had a budget of 4k. I think everyone gave you advice on what to do and where to start and if you had mechanical experience to see if you needed to factor in labor cost. I think you should sit down and really think about what you want and do some searching and really think about your goals. Asking the same questions in a different manner still gets you the same responses. Cheap reliable fast comes at a cost.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:12 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default ONLY use the VARARAM!

Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
What kind of results will i get with this? is it worth $400 I'm trying to find out if i can get a little bit more performance without spending a fortune. My car is a 2002 stock 5.7L manual trans. Thank you
ONLY use the VARARAM!

Call me and I'll make you a good deal on a Vararam! and my Tune. You will LOVE IT!

Promise.
Chuck CoW
Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
OP seems like you are unsure of what you really want to do. In one of your threads you wanted twin turbos with a 2k budget then had a budget of 4k. I think everyone gave you advice on what to do and where to start and if you had mechanical experience to see if you needed to factor in labor cost. I think you should sit down and really think about what you want and do some searching and really think about your goals. Asking the same questions in a different manner still gets you the same responses. Cheap reliable fast comes at a cost.
Was not aware this was the same guy, again...
OP, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Do you have a budget, or just want to make changes for the sake of making changes (which is fine)?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:09 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Was not aware this was the same guy, again...
OP, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Do you have a budget, or just want to make changes for the sake of making changes (which is fine)?
yeah this is his 3 or 4th post about the same thing..
Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

He likes the MOM & POP Theory, If POP says NO,, Mom will say yes..

I suspose that I could have said the K&N was worth 50-60 HP...

Then he would have been MAD when he had no positive effect on performance except a lighter car from $400 missing from the wallet making the car lighter..

Live by the RACERS MOTO!
FAST, CHEEP, RELIABLE
Pick TWO because you CAN NOT have all three!!

BC
Old 07-28-2015, 12:45 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

K&N filter + flip-tie is a cheaper option - did mine last weekend. Hopefully I'm also shielded from any water ingestion problems....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-success.html
Old 07-28-2015, 02:24 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jjc508520
K&N filter + flip-tie is a cheaper option - did mine last weekend. Hopefully I'm also shielded from any water ingestion problems....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-success.html
I'd be MORE worried about fine sand, dust, and debris than water... these things are like CATFISH...bottom dwelling, scum suckers.... they feed off of the asphalt, pavement... and vacuum the road as you drive along...usually plugging up the A/C and Radiator with crap...that is ONE of the reasons I went with the Vararam CIA... the Air enters the system via the Fog light housing vents...INFRONT of the car...NOT from inside the engine bay, NOT from below the car where all the other stuff is being forced up by the air dam and pulled by the fans under 35 MPH into the engine bay... just sayin.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 07-28-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I'd be MORE worried about fine sand, dust, and debris than water... these things are like CATFISH...bottom dwelling, scum suckers.... they feed off of the asphalt, pavement... and vacuum the road as you drive along...usually plugging up the A/C and Radiator with crap...that is ONE of the reasons I went with the Vararam CIA... the Air enters the system via the Fog light housing vents...INFRONT of the car...NOT from inside the engine bay, NOT from below the car where all the other stuff is being forced up by the air dam and pulled by the fans under 35 MPH into the engine bay... just sayin.
There's an easy way to prevent that. Install a steel mesh over the gap so the large stuff can't get in there.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

so much snake oil being sold here.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N air intake

Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Here you go, $55 to buy the filter, connect it to the factory airbridge, and viola you have your own intake.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...55-intake.html
Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 PM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
There's an easy way to prevent that. Install a steel mesh over the gap so the large stuff can't get in there.
Just made myself a note to cut up a piece of screen to put between the filter and the frame on my flip-tie install
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Chichi1986
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will see results with adding a K&N intake. You will also get a better sound coming from the engine. My first mod was an Airaid intake, very similar to the K&N. Performance wise its not gonna be a night and day kinda gain but between better sound and a little extra power felt its not a bad decision. Remember you have to start somewhere.

Quick Reply: K&N air intake