C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 AM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differential removal

For those that have pulled the differential without removing the torque tube, how do you get it past the EBCM? I have the trans lowered pretty far but the top of the differential case is still smacking the EBCM. I am worried about lowering trans more because of the manifold/firewall clearance.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:59 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Unbolt the EBTCM from its mount and it SHOULD have enough movement/flex (on the brake lines) to be able to be moved enough to help clear the Diff..

Have you removed the rear cross member or dropped it down far enough to help let the diff drop more?

Bill
Old 07-27-2015, 02:14 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Rear cradle is out. I have the EBCM unbolted and it is un plugged. I can only push the EBCM up until it hits the surface above it (gas tank?). I guess I need to go lower with the tranny.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:10 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Pull the intake manifold off and you can lower the drive train a little more... Be careful with the big wire harness above the bell housing. As you lower it have someone keep an eye on that harness.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Pull the intake manifold off and you can lower the drive train a little more... Be careful with the big wire harness above the bell housing. As you lower it have someone keep an eye on that harness.
Or maybe loosening (not removing) the front cradle nuts so it can drop down about 1/4" to 1/2" or so. Since everything's this close, it might just be all the extra clearance you need.

Caution: Do NOT use any impact wrenches on the cradle nuts, either front or rear. Hand tools only on these.

HTH
Old 07-28-2015, 01:35 PM
TwinTurboZ51
Instructor

Thanks for ideas! I found a complete Z06 differential which I think I will buy instead of adding the z06 parts to my original differential. Not planning on being at the dragstrip much so I think this may be a good solution instead of adding 300m or z06 output shafts.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Bluevet2006
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lower carefully

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You have to loosen the bolts of the torque tube at the bell housing behind the motor. Also watch the rear of motor didn't hit the fire wall or it can break it .
Old 06-09-2018, 09:04 PM
tt53
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leave it up

I was browsing through these trying to get some help on my clutch pack replacement, and no one seems to have done this with the diff on a stand. I was given some advice that if you want to avoid having to remove exhaust and tunnel plate, lower the tranny until the torque tube hits the tunnel plate, and while supporting the tranny, detatch the diff and slide back. The diff won't come off completely as it will hit the rear storage compartment, but it will detach enough to slide the carrier out of the housing if you turn the housing slightly.

Skipped a lot of steps, the bolt plate has to be removed, passenger side cover, and of course rear subframe dropped, etc.

Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential removal

Quick Reply: Differential removal