C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth it to keep new MAF sensor? replaced original one "accidentally"

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Worth it to keep new MAF sensor? replaced original one "accidentally"

I recently bought a new MAF sensor but turns out that wasn't the issue to solve a P0102. It was on my car for all of 2 minutes and never driven out of the garage since the code immediately re-appeared after I cleared it. I put the old MAF sensor back in and after solving the underlying issue (PCM), it runs great now. I understand the premise behind the MAF of how it's a heated wire type. My car has 205k miles and at 17 years its ingested alot of air in its lifetime Thus, I'm wondering if I should keep the new MAF (it's a black composite unit) and eat the $100 it cost, or should I return the new MAF and just stick with the OEM one (aluminum looking)? Due to the nature of the MAF sensor's operation, it seems like it would be a "it either works or it doesn't" type. I have cleaned it with MAF sensor cleaner and I'm careful not to over oil my honker's filter.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ericdwong
I recently bought a new MAF sensor but turns out that wasn't the issue to solve a P0102. It was on my car for all of 2 minutes and never driven out of the garage since the code immediately re-appeared after I cleared it. I put the old MAF sensor back in and after solving the underlying issue (PCM), it runs great now. I understand the premise behind the MAF of how it's a heated wire type. My car has 205k miles and at 17 years its ingested alot of air in its lifetime Thus, I'm wondering if I should keep the new MAF (it's a black composite unit) and eat the $100 it cost, or should I return the new MAF and just stick with the OEM one (aluminum looking)? Due to the nature of the MAF sensor's operation, it seems like it would be a "it either works or it doesn't" type. I have cleaned it with MAF sensor cleaner and I'm careful not to over oil my honker's filter.
If it ain't broke DON'T fix it... sell the Black Composite one in the C5 parts for sale...
Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Worth it to keep new MAF sensor? replaced original one "accidentally"

I would go ahead and replace it. MAF sensors are like O2 sensors and spark plugs. Their performance slowly degrades with time and mileage. It is not simply a " works or doesn't" type of sensor. It regulates your fuel/air ratio and as they age, this function slows down and becomes less precise.

Get notified of new replies

To Worth it to keep new MAF sensor? replaced original one "accidentally"

Quick Reply: Worth it to keep new MAF sensor? replaced original one "accidentally"