C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan motor does not work

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 11:48 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Default Fan motor does not work

2000 Corvette, manual AC. The fan motor does not run at any speed. Checked the fan directly and it works, check the BM Relay, with the ignition ON, there was power to the Red wire (fuse 51) it was good and no power to the Ign3--Brown wire. However fuse 18 is good. Checked the HVAC control module in the center dash and found it was not getting any power on the Red 12V Wire. Any ideas on where the ignition 3 wire gets its power or how the power gets to the HVAC control module?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is the schematic. If you have no power on the Brown wire with the ignition ON, there is your problem.

Let me know if I can help further. Make sure you checked fuse 18 in the I/P fuse box. I have seen people make the mistake of checking for it in the engine fuse box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6227ple15o...matic.pdf?dl=0

Mr. Sam
Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Here is the schematic. If you have no power on the Brown wire with the ignition ON, there is your problem.

Let me know if I can help further. Make sure you checked fuse 18 in the I/P fuse box. I have seen people make the mistake of checking for it in the engine fuse box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6227ple15o...matic.pdf?dl=0

Mr. Sam
Thanks, I will check my connections again, it looks like the problem might be the ground wire. If I read the diagram correctly when power gets to Ign3 it completes the C1 to A2 circuit and power goes to the HVAC control on the IP.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:03 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You are correct with the concept. If the relay coil gets energized then the contacts should close and provide power (via Red wire) to the control unit .

You said with the ignition ON you had no power in the Brown wire, That is the problem to resolve first, not the ground. Ground is probably good.

Are you proficient with using a voltmeter? Red probe on the Brown wire and Black probe on a good known chassis ground with the ignition ON.

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Fan motor does not work

Quick Reply: Fan motor does not work