C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:15 PM
MMCGEE
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gear shift

Need help guys started my 2004 C5 automatic today went to shift in reverse shifter did not engage, will go all the way down to D1 and back up to the Park position freely ?? No previous issues any ideas
Old 08-09-2015, 10:40 PM
pjensen
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MMCGEE
Need help guys started my 2004 C5 automatic today went to shift in reverse shifter did not engage, will go all the way down to D1 and back up to the Park position freely ?? No previous issues any ideas
Sounds like a broken shifter cable. Buy the replacement from gm - it is around $50.

Put the car on a lift or jack stands. Take off the H pipe and the tunnel cover (30+ bolts). Remove the broken cable and put in the new one.

Make sure to use the hold down clip. The shop I took it to forgot and I had to do all the work all over again - about a month later.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:53 PM
MMCGEE
Navigator

Originally Posted by pjensen
Sounds like a broken shifter cable. Buy the replacement from gm - it is around $50.

Put the car on a lift or jack stands. Take off the H pipe and the tunnel cover (30+ bolts). Remove the broken cable and put in the new one.

Make sure to use the hold down clip. The shop I took it to forgot and I had to do all the work all over again - about a month later.
Thanks you for your help
Old 08-10-2015, 12:48 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Yes either a broken cable or there is a small plastic insulator clip that fits on the cable end that always breaks-----If not the cable or clip---Next would be the " PRNDL " switch that mounts on the side of the trans where the cable connects----The PRNDL switch has to be calibrated to work correctly
Old 08-10-2015, 01:42 PM
MMCGEE
Navigator

Originally Posted by tblu92
Yes either a broken cable or there is a small plastic insulator clip that fits on the cable end that always breaks-----If not the cable or clip---Next would be the " PRNDL " switch that mounts on the side of the trans where the cable connects----The PRNDL switch has to be calibrated to work correctly
Thanks good info
Old 08-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Vanover
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MMCGEE
Just a heads up I see yours is 04, if it happens on an 03 they changed mid year.make sure you get the rite one there are two diff.ones learned that the hard way.they clip on diff. On the side on the front bracket,closest to the shifter.

Get notified of new replies

To Gear shift

Quick Reply: Gear shift