C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IP Fuse Box

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 AM
SCVettedriver69
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IP Fuse Box

I have just bought a 2001 corvette C5 base model. I am having trouble with the head light doors operating properly. To eliminate easy stuff the previous owner may have screwed up, can someone send me a picture of the IP fuse panel from their 2001 C5? The only relays in the fuse panel that are oriented in a different direction are the ones for the head lamp circuits. I want to make sure the previous guy did not replace these and put one or the other in backwards. I don't think this to be the case after looking at the service manual and the circuit, but stranger things have happened.

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You cannot put the relays in backwards. The connections are in a rectangle with the coil and switch contacts on opposite corners from each other. The relays may look square but remove one a look at what I am saying. If you look at the schematic on the relay side it might help.

OK, with that said you have not told us what the problems are. We can't start diagnostics until we understand the issues.

Mr. Sam
Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 AM
SCVettedriver69
8th Gear

When I purchased the car, the headlamps would go up automatically but would not go down automatically. Initially, I chose to go the no troubleshooting route, and just replaced the headlight door module. Same issue. Then I broke out my fluke meter and noticed I have 12 VDC getting to the door open input of the head lamp control module. But conversely, I did NOT have 12 VDC getting to the door close input. So looking at the schematics, relay 44 controls the door open and headlamps on, and relay 43 controls the door closed and relay off. It appears that the body control module picks relay 43 when the key in turned in the ignition. I make the assumption that relay 44 picks when the multifunctional turn signal level activates the parking lamps or the head lamps.

I dropped the knee bolster and the other trim in the car and got my fluke on the dark green wire on plug 209. I ran my own ground wire from my seat stud and nut to make sure I had a good reference. There are two dark green wires, the one I needed was on "pin t" of connector 209. When the multifunctional turn signal lamp switch was placed into the off position, I did not get 12 volts on this wire. So I "assumed" that the multifunctional lever was the problem. So I cut the dark green wire which is the head lamp down wire, spliced in a jumper......so both ends of the dark green wire are connected and a jumper is installed for testing. With the head lamps off, I touched this wire to 12VDC and initially the head lamp doors closed and stayed closed. I could turn the lamps on, the head lamps would pop up and when I turned them off, I could touch my jumper to 12 V and they would go down and stay down. So I was going to run this way until I could replace the multifunctional turn signal lever. But last night, I turned on the lights, head lamp doors opened as expected, then when I turned off the lights and used my jumper, it commanded the doors to close, but when they closed and I removed the jumper, the popped right back open.

Last edited by SCVettedriver69; 08-16-2015 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:14 AM
SCVettedriver69
8th Gear

Also, Looking at the schematics, you can put the relays in backwards.....fyi. Would you please send me a pic of your IP fuse panel with the cover off?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:51 AM
SCVettedriver69
8th Gear

Default Refrased

I guess what would help me as much as anything is for someone who understands the sequence of operation of relay 43 and 44 of a 2001 corvette base to explain this to me. This would aid me in troubleshooting.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

PM sent, we can talk now if you like.

Get notified of new replies

To IP Fuse Box

Quick Reply: IP Fuse Box