C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle-back exhaust install question (Z06)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 06:48 PM
EA-sports
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
That may have been me. I posted a video or pic several months ago. I've done it twice (before I got the big Jack stands, etc.) and also helped another forum member. Definitely easier than the garage, but I did get a few people give me the "wtf" look.
This is an awesomely creative solution..now I just need to find an empty loading dock lol..
Old 08-24-2015, 07:28 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EA-sports
This is an awesomely creative solution..now I just need to find an empty loading dock lol..
As you can see, be very, very careful, and have a spotter. What I did is I placed a 2x8 back as far as I wanted the car to go back then pushed it myself, slowly. A little safer than the possibility of my foot slipping off the clutch pedal.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:49 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you know anyone in the military, they can get you on a military installation with a DIY mechanic shop.

Or honestly, just literally drive around to "good ole boy" mechanic shops, independently owned and ask them if you can either use their lift or what their cost would be to swap it and explain the circumstances. I'm sure you will find at least one that will help you out a lot.

Either way, I've done it on a lift and on jack stands here are a few tips.

Drive the front up on Rhino Ramps.

Jack the rear, place stands.

Jack the front, Place stands.

Jack the rear higher if necessary, Place stands.

Jack the front higher if you are worried about the vehicle angle, Place stands. 9/10 times you can leave the front on the ramps and just jack the rear up, some people get nervous about the small stops on the rhino ramps though.

It's not as bad as some make it seem, I did it in a parking lot in about 45 min.

If you can wait till October, I'll be in D.C if you are close, I can probably give you a hand.

Last edited by 175rgr; 08-24-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:02 AM
ssmoke-u
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine was sketchy as hell trying to get the stock Ti off. It took my jack with two bricks on it to get the car high enough to get them out. It was sketch city but it worked.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:18 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Just jack it up.

Name:  DSC05400.JPG
Views: 802
Size:  211.9 KB
Old 08-29-2015, 09:40 PM
EA-sports
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 175rgr
If you know anyone in the military, they can get you on a military installation with a DIY mechanic shop.

Or honestly, just literally drive around to "good ole boy" mechanic shops, independently owned and ask them if you can either use their lift or what their cost would be to swap it and explain the circumstances. I'm sure you will find at least one that will help you out a lot.

Either way, I've done it on a lift and on jack stands here are a few tips.

Drive the front up on Rhino Ramps.

Jack the rear, place stands.

Jack the front, Place stands.

Jack the rear higher if necessary, Place stands.

Jack the front higher if you are worried about the vehicle angle, Place stands. 9/10 times you can leave the front on the ramps and just jack the rear up, some people get nervous about the small stops on the rhino ramps though.

It's not as bad as some make it seem, I did it in a parking lot in about 45 min.

If you can wait till October, I'll be in D.C if you are close, I can probably give you a hand.
Thanks guys. I found a shop that used to allow DIY membership to do it for an hour of labor provided that it's a straight forward as I explained it. We'll see, I'll have it done on Tuesday.

Questions: do I need to get a new gasket for the flange and if so can I use new stock C5Z flange gasket? Do I need to remove the rear sway bar to make more space? What's the torque spec for the flange bolts, 35lb ft? Thanks guys.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:59 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Originally Posted by EA-sports
Thanks guys. I found a shop that used to allow DIY membership to do it for an hour of labor provided that it's a straight forward as I explained it. We'll see, I'll have it done on Tuesday.

Questions: do I need to get a new gasket for the flange and if so can I use new stock C5Z flange gasket? Do I need to remove the rear sway bar to make more space? What's the torque spec for the flange bolts, 35lb ft? Thanks guys.
Reuse existing gasket if in good condition. Yes, swing the sway bar out of the way, you don't have to completely remove it. Leave end links connected and just rotate out if the way. Don't remember the torque specs off the top of my head but I'll see if I can't find'm.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:04 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
Reuse existing gasket if in good condition. Yes, swing the sway bar out of the way, you don't have to completely remove it. Leave end links connected and just rotate out if the way. Don't remember the torque specs off the top of my head but I'll see if I can't find'm.
All torque specs...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1634366/C5torque.pdf
Old 08-30-2015, 10:51 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

German torque spec was GootNtight...
Old 09-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

I used my open car hauler (steel deck) let the back of the car hang off (wheels about 5" from the end) I strapped the front down jacked up the back put it in stand and swapped the exhaust in about 30 minutes to remove and replace about an hour start to finish

any one says 4 hours is just looking to screw you

Quick Reply: Axle-back exhaust install question (Z06)