C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 electrical vats Solved for my c5

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 electrical vats Solved for my c5

after encountering a reduced power , dash went nuts , no ac ,windows or power anything , problem😩 I limped it home , I parked and couldn't restart , the next day it was starting😃 , parked it in the garage , went to take it out and nothing , blinking security light 😕 , found the forum started all the fixes I found , first thing I did was disconnect reconnect the battery it started, then overnight no start came back , pulled codes read thru , I'm a tech so I know about ladder logic, found nothing , checked my key chip I have 3 keys all the same , did a ignition key chip bypass nothing, took apart ignition cleaned , nothing, cleaned the grounds nothing , security would disable the start , did the relearn like 4 times nadda, bought a tech 2 , well to make a long story short , about a week before my problems started , I changed the BATtEry a class 78 cc 880 ca 880 Ra 80 / there was my problem ,the batteries RA rating . Had another vehicle go down took the vette battery and put it in that car( a vw 4 cly ) that had a bigger battery 😕 , bought a new class 78 battery cc 880 ca800 RA120 , , my theory is cars with bells and whistles zap power from battery reserve combined with starter draw , prior to alternator engaging and charging the system. 😐Haven't had it not start 😂😅😛 Since. Hope it helps corvette enthusiast here , doubters please no skepticism, kicks some rocks instead. The battery with the biggest RA rating is the ticket 😉🙊🍺🇺🇸👓⭐️👏👯🍺👏
Old 08-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

The power draw drop ,below whatever voltage ,causes the vettes computer pcm bcm to go haywire and cause codes, therefore a high (reserve capacity battery ), eliminates the voltage drop from dropping below critical power for the vettes pcm, bcm .
Old 08-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections are well known for causing many and varied codes and strange electrical problems.
Yeah I cleaned the heck out of em ,took the boots off too, just to be certain,
Old 08-21-2015, 07:38 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The lower reserve capacity is not the cause of a no-start after the car sitting overnight. It just means you could only leave the car parked for say 2.5 weeks instead of say 3.5 weeks before you get a no-start due to a dead battery. You could also think of it this way. If 80 min. reserve barely lasts overnight until the next morning then 120 min. reserve would only last overnight until about into the afternoon the next day.

You fixed another problem when you swapped batteries.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:20 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If I recall correctly, Reserve Capacity is based on how long the battery can sustain a 25 amp draw in minutes. Reserve capacity of 120 would mean 120 minutes.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Default Vats , security light

Originally Posted by Corvette punk
Yeah I cleaned the heck out of em ,took the boots off too, just to be certain,
well , my car has been starting ,and out of all the fixes I found none worked , cleaned grounds , contact points , key chip bypass , bcm relearn , my vats problem was severe , would start after the battery was disconnected for an extended amount of time , but the following day the vats would immobilize it guaranteed . The only thing different I did was change my battery , thought it was the bcm at one time , but they don't fail like that a bcm failure cause a heywire dash lights blinking gauges sweeping etc. installed the new batt did a relearn and now the car hasn't once not started . Driving around like a rockstar
Old 08-22-2015, 07:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The only thing different I did was change my battery , thought it was the bcm at one time , but they don't fail like that a bcm failure cause a heywire dash lights blinking gauges sweeping etc.
I have dealt with MANY BCM failures that do not affect the IPC at all.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Default Sti

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I have dealt with MANY BCM failures that do not affect the IPC at all.
Well on downside I still have a bad ebtcm , and I would like to turn off those lights and have my message scroll , not tell me " service traction control " any ideas ,
Old 08-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Default Message display

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you find a way to do that short of black electrical tape stuck over the light and DIC, post it up ASAP as there are many dozens of others still searching for the solution.
cool will do
Old 08-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

cool will do
real happy to have my Vette back bought it with 32000 miles I was 27 I've had it more then ten years only has like 52000 on it , like to take it on some road trips
Old 08-22-2015, 05:06 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

No matter what it took to fix it or why, getting to drive it and enjoy it without worrying about being stranded is the best part.

EBTCM would require you to replace the ABS system with the system from the later C5's. There's just no fix for the early module and I highly doubt there ever will be a fix.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 electrical vats Solved for my c5

Quick Reply: C5 electrical vats Solved for my c5