C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded roof panel rap-rattle.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Bluemill
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default The dreaded roof panel rap-rattle.......

Five years ago, I had to replace my plexi-glass roof panel due to heat damage. When I got a re-manufactured one through Zip, initially that horrible rattle emanating from what sounded like the center dash went away. So, after all this time that rattle was from the roof! The reason, new, stiff weatherstripping on the new roof panel prevented the top front latches from hitting the top of the windshield.

The rap-rattle came back after some summer heat and the sun did its job of softening the foam of the roof. I experimented with several types of foam rubber, positioned in and all around the roof front handle latches without success.

I finally came up with something that works, at least for a month or two, especially in the cooler months. I took some duct tape, cut it in 1/2" strips, and wrapped it around the cones of the handle latches. 3-4 inches is all that you need. The handles are a lot more difficult to close, but it tightens the latches enough so even a hard bump in the road keeps that rattle-rap from recurring.

All is well until the summer sun cooks the glue on the duct tape, and the tape loosens and slips- bringing back the rattle.

Has anybody come up with a better fix for this issue?

Best always,
Bluemill
Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't have this issue with mine and it fits tightly with no noise, leaks, rattles, etc. The handles latch perfectly with just the right amount of force. Are you sure it's not a question of proper adjustment? I know that there are several adjustments possible when fitting a new roof panel. I'd also check the state of your weatherstripping.

Sorry but, I don't consider using strips of duct tape a "fix" for anything.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I don't have this issue with mine and it fits tightly with no noise, leaks, rattles, etc. The handles latch perfectly with just the right amount of force. Are you sure it's not a question of proper adjustment? I know that there are several adjustments possible when fitting a new roof panel. I'd also check the state of your weatherstripping.

Sorry but, I don't consider using strips of duct tape a "fix" for anything.
Then you will never officially be a RED neck... we use it to "fix" everything... Thank God for duct tape and bailing wire
Old 09-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemill
Five years ago, I had to replace my plexi-glass roof panel due to heat damage. When I got a re-manufactured one through Zip, initially that horrible rattle emanating from what sounded like the center dash went away. So, after all this time that rattle was from the roof! The reason, new, stiff weatherstripping on the new roof panel prevented the top front latches from hitting the top of the windshield.

The rap-rattle came back after some summer heat and the sun did its job of softening the foam of the roof. I experimented with several types of foam rubber, positioned in and all around the roof front handle latches without success.

I finally came up with something that works, at least for a month or two, especially in the cooler months. I took some duct tape, cut it in 1/2" strips, and wrapped it around the cones of the handle latches. 3-4 inches is all that you need. The handles are a lot more difficult to close, but it tightens the latches enough so even a hard bump in the road keeps that rattle-rap from recurring.

All is well until the summer sun cooks the glue on the duct tape, and the tape loosens and slips- bringing back the rattle.

Has anybody come up with a better fix for this issue?

Best always,
Bluemill
This is one of the reasons why I went with a Z.

Shakey
Old 09-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Bluemill
Racer

Default Looks like a great way to get rid of the rap..rattle!

The C6 post on this includes a great idea. Just slip on O rings to the base of the front latch spike pins. On the C6 he used 1/4" size. This is the genius fix I was looking for. If it doesn't work for me, I'll post you guys back. BTW, I had tried adjustment about 6 times. The weatherstripping just gets soft with age, and then allows the front latches to hit on stiff bumps. The o rings should work!

Best,
Bluemill
Old 09-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Bluemill
Racer

Default O rings work on C5's.

I miced the latch spikes, and they measured .375 inch. Picked up some 8, 9, & 10mm O rings. I ended up putting two on each spike, a 10 and locked the first in place with a 9 mm. The latches were smooth and easy to close, and then I took the car for a ride. No raps, rattles, or creaks, a great and likely long term fix! 5/16" would likely work too. This is from Modshak on the C7 Forum- Thanks for that one Buddy!

Best always,

Bluemill

Get notified of new replies

To The dreaded roof panel rap-rattle.......

Quick Reply: The dreaded roof panel rap-rattle.......