C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XS Power header install review *LONG*

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Wow. Although I had to mill my Texas Speed header flanges, my install was a breeze compared to yours.
Seems yours have a quality problem still... insufficient consistency in their product. More go-no-go jigs needed.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Wow. Although I had to mill my Texas Speed header flanges, my install was a breeze compared to yours.
Seems yours have a quality problem still... insufficient consistency in their product. More go-no-go jigs needed.
That's a pretty funny testimony... They DO need better/more go-no-go jigs, but their "out of spec" barely rivals having to mill the flanges. I dunno who I coulda got around here to mill the flanges.

"Mine fit good; I just had to mill the flanges for a good fit"
Old 09-01-2015, 04:26 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dork
That's a pretty funny testimony... They DO need better/more go-no-go jigs, but their "out of spec" barely rivals having to mill the flanges. I dunno who I coulda got around here to mill the flanges.

"Mine fit good; I just had to mill the flanges for a good fit"
Good point! I'm the engineering manager at a steel shop, was a tad easier for me than most perhaps. And in all honesty, the ONLY reasons I didn't return them for a new pair:
1 - I'm in Canada. Returning items to the US, getting another set back and somehow not paying taxes and import duties on both pairs = almost impossible.
2 - I was very concerned, considering #1, that I would get a 2nd pair that was good.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by YoungRedZ
Bill, that's unfortunate to hear about the issues being reported. But it seems like each case is unique. There's no consistency. Some people have it good, others have it not so good.

I agree 100% about the tune. Though I might hold off just a little while longer. I might start my heads/cam project soon. I would rather go get it dyno tuned with everything all done rather than go there with the headers done, then go back 2 months later when the heads/cam are done.
Your car will run just fine without a tune. It wont hurt anything except fuel mileage and a little less HP/Tq than is with a good tune.

That's exactly what I would do also!

Good plan.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:34 PM
YoungRedZ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KAGEY228
Great write up! I am glad that you chose to share your journey. I had a little problem on the passenger side, but no other fitment issues. I have had to tighten the rear flange nuts and I had an issue where the collector pipe slips into the rear pipe. I think that I may still have a leak because I have a slight 'chirp' when I start up cold. Anybody else have this issue? Anyway, I would do it again in a heartbeat! I am pleased with the headers, the customer service, and the product. And it sounds and looks good too!
I don't notice any weird sounds at start up. I'll keep an ear out the next couple times and see if I hear anything out of the ordinary.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:43 PM
YoungRedZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Ive found with plug boots that the boot will burn if it's against the pipe even with a heat shield type sleeve between it and the pipe. It just seems the pipes are hot enough the heat eventually gets through.

I forgot, but I also tig welded the center 3 parts all together to get rid of the clamps in the middle. It made it all bolt together and no chance of a clamp slipping.
Damn...I was figuring something like that would probably end up happening. Oh well, I had these plug shields laying around and I figure I'll put them to use for now until I find a permanent solution. I would also like to get my middle section TIG welded. I'll have to go talk to my buddy about that. My welding abilities are questionable at best lol.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:52 PM
YoungRedZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by grantv
Good point! I'm the engineering manager at a steel shop, was a tad easier for me than most perhaps. And in all honesty, the ONLY reasons I didn't return them for a new pair:
1 - I'm in Canada. Returning items to the US, getting another set back and somehow not paying taxes and import duties on both pairs = almost impossible.
2 - I was very concerned, considering #1, that I would get a 2nd pair that was good.
I almost wish all I had to do was mill them. Standing outside in 105 degree heat trying every which way to get the headers to go in was not something I want to do again anytime soon.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:10 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YoungRedZ
I almost wish all I had to do was mill them. Standing outside in 105 degree heat trying every which way to get the headers to go in was not something I want to do again anytime soon.
Well, I have to say... that was my original point. I found the flange issue before doing anything, could see it as soon as they were out of the box.
So the actual install was no problem. I had to bend one floor flange a bit (down below, about a foot forward of the collectors, drivers side) which was easy with a large crescent wrench. Otherwise a pretty "standard" header install, no complaints for a big V8 in a smallish car.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:43 AM
YoungRedZ
Advanced

So last weekend I threw the car back up on the lift to give everything a once over. I gave everything another quarter turn and double nutted the collector flanges. I happened to notice that my passenger side band clamp was actually caught in the little relief cut notch they cut in the pipe to help it slip over the x-pipe. So I loosened the clamp and adjusted it, now everything looks good.

Now I notice I have a vibration throughout the whole car at about 1200 rpm. It feels like a strong resonance, right at about 1200 rpm, then it goes away right after that. Is this normal with XS Power or any other long tubes? I made sure that my headers weren't making contact with anything when I installed them, so I don't think they're touching anything. I just find it funny that I didn't have this issue at first, and now I do after tightening up. I can't imagine that I sealed up any leaks. I didn't have an suit marks, tick noises, etc. The bolts weren't loose, just took an extra quarter turn. Any thoughts?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks, just made up my mind I won't be getting these. Appreciate the info!
Old 11-22-2015, 07:30 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to imagine the lack of consistency for fitment is due to not stress relieving the welded assembly while still bolted to the jig. I bet the headers that don't fit well wouldn't bolt back onto the same jig they came off of.

Quick Reply: XS Power header install review *LONG*