C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 AM
ken90004
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight issues

I have a 99 Vert. w/ 80k.

Went to the car wash, and when I tried to flip on the lights, only the right came up. I popped the hood and tried to manually put the left up (round ****, which didn't seem to do anything). My wife switched the key to 'on' and I tried again, and everything came on.

Now, for some reason, the lights come on when I turn the switch to the first position, parking mode. The same as the lights on mode. To add to my problem, when I shut off the lights now, the left headlight motor makes a gear grinding noise. Everything shuts like they are supposed to, but i seems like the left light is trying to close further than it needs to, and makes this noise for 10 seconds.

The pulled codes when I got home, and I have some basic codes I see from time to time. Both doors lose communication with the BCM. HVAC also gives me a code about because the drivers side mix door isn't traveling the proper length. The only new code was a TCS C1255. Something about the ABS system. Its an H code, so I am going to clear everything and see what happens.

I am not sure what that '****' was by the headlight, and what I might have adjusted. I was guess, since it wasn't the manual operation, I probably just adjusted the headlight lens out of straight.

Anyone have similar issues? Anything I can do to test anything.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Headlight issues

Time for a new headlight actuator gear. It is stripped. Replace both while you're at it. The other headlight will also fail.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:09 AM
ken90004
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Time for a new headlight actuator gear. It is stripped. Replace both while you're at it. The other headlight will also fail.
That was my first guess, but then it still goes up and down. And why would both the headlights operate in the wrong switch position? Very odd.

I wouldn't replace the driver's side. I have an invoice where is has been done in the past. I subscribe to the mantra of; if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:16 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Headlight issues

Originally Posted by ken90004
That was my first guess, but then it still goes up and down. And why would both the headlights operate in the wrong switch position? Very odd.

I wouldn't replace the driver's side. I have an invoice where is has been done in the past. I subscribe to the mantra of; if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
It's one of the strange things that happens when the gear strips. It throws off the whole lighting actuation synchro. Trust me, it's your gear.

Secondly, do you know if a plastic or metal gear was used for the driver side? If it was replaced with the metal one, then you're set. It probably will outlast the car. If it's plastic, it WILL fail again. It's a design flaw. No limit switches.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 AM
ken90004
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cybermind
It's one of the strange things that happens when the gear strips. It throws off the whole lighting actuation synchro. Trust me, it's your gear.

Secondly, do you know if a plastic or metal gear was used for the driver side? If it was replaced with the metal one, then you're set. It probably will outlast the car. If it's plastic, it WILL fail again. It's a design flaw. No limit switches.
I mistyped. It was the passenger side, and the dealer replaced it. The first owner took the car to the dealership for every little thing. In any case, I am sure it also has the plastic gear in the passenger side as well.

Looked it up online, and it looks like I can get a brass gear replaced kit pretty cheap. Or I can get the whole thing for under $200. Looks like my next project this weekend.

Thanks for the advise.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:28 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

If you can hear a noise while opening or closing your headlights, you probably have a broken plastic gear.

Get a kit like this one (pay attention because there are 2 different kits: one for "97 to early 2000" and another for "late 2000 to 2004") and follow these step-by-step directions. You'll save money and they will last forever

Although yours is a 99, if you decide to do as well the one replaced by the dealer, check carefully because they may have used the newer model.

You might need these as well (the rubber bump stops).

There is a TSB, that calls for shimming the driver's side motor. The parts needed for this are included in the above mentioned kit.

Last edited by GCG; 09-02-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:39 AM
ken90004
Instructor

Default much thanks

Originally Posted by GCG
If you can hear a noise while opening or closing your headlights, you probably have a broken plastic gear.

Get a kit like this one (pay attention because there are 2 different kits: one for "97 to early 2000" and another for "late 2000 to 2004") and follow these step-by-step directions. You'll save money and they will last forever

Although yours is a 99, if you decide to do as well the one replaced by the dealer, check carefully because they may have used the newer model.

You might need these as well (the rubber bump stops).

There is a TSB, that calls for shimming the driver's side motor. The parts needed for this are included in the above mentioned kit.
Thanks for the links! I was shopping around, and this kit is not only cheaper, but has everything I need. And it looks like an easy fix.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:19 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by ken90004
Thanks for the links! I was shopping around, and this kit is not only cheaper, but has everything I need. And it looks like an easy fix.
I'm glad I could help!

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight issues

Quick Reply: Headlight issues