C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fumoto Oil drain valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 AM
imlowr2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fumoto Oil drain valve

I was wondering if anyone is running the Fumoto Oil drain valve and what they think of it.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Fumoto Oil drain valve

I'm wondering the same thing. I'd just be worried about how low it sits. Our oil pans are extremely close to the ground.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 AM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Not to go off on a tangent – but ….I have one on my daily driver that’s 9 inches off the ground and it works great. Doesn’t leak and oil changes are a snap.

The C5 however, requires me to lift the car high enough to get under anyway,. That plus the low ground clearance makes the fumoto drain valve less practical.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I have seen them leak multiple times. I would not touch that product.

(now queue up the dozen ppl that always tell me that it's impossible for valves to leak)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:30 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 224 Likes on 143 Posts

Took me a while to come up with a number. I've installed Fumoto valves on all 12 of our vehicles back to ~1980. It's one of the first mods I do to every vehicle we've owned since I found out about them. They've worked very well for me and they're really convenient. Saves me having to remember what size box wrench I need for each vehicle, and once they're on properly, I don't worry about 'is it tight enough this time?'.

The Corvette is lowered to the max (minus 4 full turns) on stock bolts; I dunno how much that slams it. The valve doesn't scrape.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:25 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
Took me a while to come up with a number. I've installed Fumoto valves on all 12 of our vehicles back to ~1980. It's one of the first mods I do to every vehicle we've owned since I found out about them. They've worked very well for me and they're really convenient. Saves me having to remember what size box wrench I need for each vehicle, and once they're on properly, I don't worry about 'is it tight enough this time?'.

The Corvette is lowered to the max (minus 4 full turns) on stock bolts; I dunno how much that slams it. The valve doesn't scrape.
We have one on the family Subaru - no leaks, and it seems to be a favorite among Legacy GT and WRX owners. Would not put one on the C5 (also lowered on stock bolts) tho'. If it did take a hit, the oil pan would most likely get damaged too.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:23 AM
littleed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this may be a dumb question but does it still have the magnet on it inside in case there is metal flakes in oil? I always thought it was good to do it that way so you can catch any potential problems early. like I said probally a dumb question please be nice.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Zonian60
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had one on my 2012 Tacoma for almost 2 years...love it. The oil filter is on top of the engine, so with that, oil and filter changes are a breeze...and I've done a lot of them every 5K...almost at 100K miles now.

Of course, this is a truck that I can fit a gallon milk jug under...not sure that I would see the advantage of putting a fumoto on a C5 though...

Paul
Old 09-03-2015, 08:56 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You gotta jack it up to change the filter anyway. Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me. Each to his own, I like to keep it simple.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:32 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I have a remote drain kit on the clutch and SC, and CC has easy drain valve/tube, seems like the mfr's would of come up with a better, easier to use design, years ago. It is not like we ony have to change the oil/filter every 100k miles. Glad we don't have to lift car to refuel.

I looked at one of these years ago, but decided against it, just didn't trust it.

My Passat has a nice feature, it has a valve on the bottom of the oil filter case. You pull out the recessed nipple, and it drains the oil from the filter, no mess.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:11 PM
C5Nate
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kansas City Area Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11,'13

I have one on my 2003 GMC Duramax that has been there since the first oil change in 2003. Since my truck sets high enough to change the oil without jacking the truck up, it works great. My favorite feature is the barb on the end of the valve. I can slip a hose over the end and it drains right into the container without spilling a single drop or the wind blowing the draining oil around.

Zero issues with it and I'm going on 300k on my Duramax.

No, I dont have one for the C5, since I have to lift it anyways to change and I just have over 95k miles I dont change it as often as the Duramax.

But...if you really want one, I say go for it. Mine has worked flawlessly and I would buy one again in a heartbeat.

Get notified of new replies

To Fumoto Oil drain valve

Quick Reply: Fumoto Oil drain valve