C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worth switching to Vararam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth switching to Vararam?

Hello all, the 2000 C5 I recently purchased came with a Breathless Performance Vortex CAI on it and the factory air bridge*. I had always liked the way the Vararam system worked but was wondering if I would see any differences going to the vararam? And are any potential gains worth the money/frustration of installing the vararam. Thanks

*EDIT: Actually the vortex power duct, but looks like the older style. I.E. not what is pictured on their website.

Last edited by MGMTF; 09-14-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by MGMTF
Hello all, the 2000 C5 I recently purchased came with a Breathless Performance Vortex CAI on it and the factory air bridge. I had always liked the way the Vararam system worked but was wondering if I would see any differences going to the vararam? And are any potential gains worth the money/frustration of installing the vararam. Thanks
When I installed the Vararam and the Z06 Ti cat back exhaust... I knew we were going to have the car tuned...
Having said that, we lost about 5 MPG after the install... the Vararam and the exhaust were the only things different...
I DID not use the powerduct and left the MAF in the STOCK position...
It was NOT a hard job, I did it by myself in a few hours and I'm pretty picky...I bought mine from a fellow forum member and had NO instructions on how to do it other than watching what youtube videos I could find...NOT bad at all...
After the tune...OMG what a difference! And we got our mileage back...
So, yes I could tell a slight increase in performance but, to get the optimal advantage it will need a tune.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Hello all, the 2000 C5 I recently purchased came with a Breathless Performance Vortex CAI on it and the factory air bridge. I had always liked the way the Vararam system worked but was wondering if I would see any differences going to the vararam? And are any potential gains worth the money/frustration of installing the vararam. Thanks
When I installed the Vararam and the Z06 Ti cat back exhaust... I knew we were going to have the car tuned...
Having said that, we lost about 5 MPG after the install... the Vararam and the exhaust were the only things different...
It was NOT a hard job, I did it by myself in a few hours and I'm pretty picky...I bought mine from a fellow forum member and had NO instructions on how to do it other than watching what youtube videos I could find...NOT bad at all...
So, yes I could tell a slight increase in performance but, to get the optimal advantage it will need a tune.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 09-14-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
So you think it makes considerably more power then what is currently on the car?

No issues with part fitment on yours either? I also realized I have the Vortex power duct also, which rubs on the hood.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:36 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

So you think it makes considerably more power then what is currently on the car?

Sorry... I don't think so, the Breathless is a pretty good CAI from what I've read on the forum, I have NO real world experience with the Breathless.

No issues with part fitment on yours either? I wouldn't say NO issues, but it wasn't hard just took a few time outs and a couple of beers...

I also realized I have the Vortex power duct also, which rubs on the hood. It rubs and can cause excessive turbulence for the MAF and throw codes...
I hope that helps...
Old 09-14-2015, 10:38 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

I hope that helps...
Thanks. What rubs now is the C5 flags on the duct, maybe I can take those off. Is there a better duct to run?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:48 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Thanks. What rubs now is the C5 flags on the duct, maybe I can take those off. Is there a better duct to run?
I suppose it depends on what all your doing... it can be a domino effect, you change to a CAI and then add the powerduct and move the MAF... then Polish the throttle body... etc.

I just went by the recommendations of my tuner, Chuck CoW... Vararam, Stock position for the MAF and NO power duct...(stock one)

I kinda wish I'd done long tube headers...but, can't now without messing up my tune..., so I'm good.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:53 PM
MGMTF
Advanced

I suppose it depends on what all your doing... it can be a domino effect, you change to a CAI and then add the powerduct and move the MAF... then Polish the throttle body... etc.

I just went by the recommendations of my tuner, Chuck CoW... Vararam, Stock position for the MAF and NO power duct...(stock one)

I kinda wish I'd done long tube headers...but, can't now without messing up my tune..., so I'm good.
Did you relocate the IAT?

The car is currently untuned so I am really open to anything. Not worried about screwing up the tune. Think I am going to get it dyno tuned after I do LTs over the winter.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:22 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Did you relocate the IAT? I don't believe the 04 has one...

The car is currently untuned so I am really open to anything. Not worried about screwing up the tune. Think I am going to get it dyno tuned after I do LTs over the winter.
Cool... we did a street tune. I didn't care about numbers at all, just wanted to free up any and all horse power that had been left on the table...

Get notified of new replies

To Worth switching to Vararam?

Quick Reply: Worth switching to Vararam?