C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Issues Non Start Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:22 AM
lbferguson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st KEY ISSUES THEN NO START

Help greatly appreciated before we have bigger mess. Had funny key issues kinda if key in wrong place it took a couple times to start. My son said Ignition Switch, retired mechanic said tumblers. Hard time starting so we didn't touch the ignition tumblers until it was running.

Battery showed 2 low cells after full charges, had AAA out and battery on ground showed bad but put in car and showed good ???? Bought new battery anyway.

Old key slightly worn so I bought new from dealer. Neither old or new key will kick it over.

Heard buzz from FP Relay in engine compartment & read these threads for ever, good reads. Bought new FP Fuse and Ignition Switch But have not installed anything yet.

From what I read and hear it's as though no gas is getting through. Checked under passenger foot and nothing is damp, all fuses check out ok.

Before we attempt to replace the ignition switch I wanted to ask this forum if we should stop before possibly making things worse.

Couple years ago we had the crazy gauge problem DIC would not reset, bought a new one ( found out part discontinued. ) After paying $$$ to have it installed mechanic said it tests good but does not go through the process of displaying everything But if something is wrong such as tire pressure, low oil etc it will display that. Said the company they used was gone to program the new DIC to the Gauge Cluster.

Hate to tow in to a dealer, we were thinking of buying a scanner to see what we get as far as codes at home. I wanted suggestions as to a brand or model to purchase.

Does anybody have suggestion to program the gauge cluster to the DIC ? Does anybody think go ahead and replace ignition switch and save Ignition tumblers for later, or should we go ahead and switch both ?

Any help you offer, we are game, seems patience with problems are better to know your car. I used this forum for alot of things such as hazard switches, headlights, seat fix etc.

Thank you for any help you can offer. Just seems like no gas is getting there, have strong crank but nothing

Last edited by lbferguson; 09-22-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Not advising, I need help
Old 09-22-2015, 11:36 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Neither old or new key will kick it over.
So it will not Crank over with the starter?

Does anybody have suggestion to program the gauge cluster to the DIC
No such thing. You didn't explain really what was done. New DIC switch with buttons or new DIC message display in the IPC
Old 09-22-2015, 12:25 PM
lbferguson
Intermediate

Default Key issues non start

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The code scanners that you purchase at parts houses are ONLY going to show you the standardized emissions codes and NOT the vehicle specific codes that you need to see.

If the engine cranks but will not start/run then either you have no gas or no spark.You can get a loan of a fuel pressure gauge from most parts stores that will prove or eliminate fuel as the problem. To narrow down the cause of the spark you really need to see the codes that are stored.

Also sounds like your instrument panel is not functioning correctly so you cannot use the C5 built in code reader? Is that correct??? ie the ability shown in the following video:

OR

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php
Thanks for reply guys.
After the no start, we tried a few times till it finally started and we went around block parked and I was cleaning wheels, when battery was dead I assumed doors open and ran low. After that No Kick over and here we are.

Same problems with old and new key lots of crank but no kick. I will check fuel pressure need to get a gauge.

Just in case gauge was not registering right We added 5 gallons of gas just in case new battery and still not kicking over.

I just tried the manual code trick and NO it does not work ( believe I had tried that before from this thread until I was assured that I did get my warnings and it did not work then either )

Turning the key to the ON position caused the SECURITY light to flash fast and below that the white bar was trying to go but only lit up for about 1 inch and back down kept up to a fast pace with the security flashing light.

Last edited by lbferguson; 09-22-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:48 PM
lbferguson
Intermediate

Default New DIC

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Neither old or new key will kick it over.
So it will not Crank over with the starter?

Does anybody have suggestion to program the gauge cluster to the DIC
No such thing. You didn't explain really what was done. New DIC switch with buttons or new DIC message display in the IPC
thanks alot for reply: Neither old or newly purchased key will kick it over. I had thought it was possibly worn key so got another from Chevy dealer.

The DIC would not reset and about 3 years ago we were having the crazy gauge issue and English / Metric switching with fast clicking. Mechanic called saying usually each part of the DIC was replaceable but out of stock might try internet. We purchased the New switch with 5 Buttons and Reset.

Mechanic said it all tested good but would not run through diagnostics when car started like it was supposed to. They said it would produce Warnings if something was wrong, they had let air out and taken oil out and it flashed Low air and Add Oil. So they said gauges and DIC needed to be programed but they had nobody to do that. I figured as long as warnings came we were ok until College was paid for so never addressed it.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:55 PM
lbferguson
Intermediate

I had searched the flashing security light and came to post in C4 forum said to relearn the passlock By turning key on position and wait 10 minutes, turn it off and try to start car. If car did not start to redo it 3 times and make sure you wait the full 10 minutes between. Didn't want to try it beings it was C4 and thought maybe somebody could help.

Looked to me like a relearn procedure after the lock cylinder and ignigion switch were replaced. I have not replaced anything except battery yet.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:36 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

OK, we know you are new and I am not getting optimal communication with this writing thing.

PM with your number and I can walk you thru most of this. There is no relearn with replacing anything related to the IPC. We an discuss those issues.

If you put in a different key resistance then that has to be addressed for the Theft Deterrent to accept it.

Understand the C5 needs good battery voltage for the electronics to work or you will be DOA.

Mr. Sam
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
lbferguson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I thought it was just me having another bad day.
At least if the cars dead , it has to get better ! Because of costs of repairs and also being smarter to know your own car I came to this forum because of such great help with headlights, hazard switch, no brake lights and where in the heck fuses were.

Now I see there is no such thing of programing gauges to new DIC means years ago when we had the CRAZY Gauges that flipped from English to Metric and full to empty gas I was taken for lots of $$ to replace the DIC and still not right.

It did take care of gauges but I lost some important parts also. We did it because of mileage for smog then I learned here I could have gotten that anyway.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:55 PM
lbferguson
Intermediate

Default Ignition Switch Was Problem

Thanks for help or support I should say - My son didn't know Zi was waiting for more help swapped ignition switch for new and she fired up . We're not stopping now I'll be back need to solve the DIC issue a and get things back to new with a few more fixes
Old 09-24-2015, 05:37 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Vicki, glad you got that issue fixed. Will call you today and help with the IPC. I think I know exactly what they did and didn't do.

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Key Issues Non Start Advice

Quick Reply: Key Issues Non Start Advice