C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug life on a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:33 PM
175rgr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
The plugs that you are referencing are from a 3400 series 60deg v6 engine, which is obviously a different motor.

GM (and other OEM's) have multiple spark plug manufactures for different engine programs, all of which are stamped ACDelco. It's the reason why GM makes gobs of $$ off service parts. NGK has been a long time been a supplier of v6 engine plugs, along with many of their ecotech engines.

DENSO is the supplier for Gen3, Gen4, and now Gen5 small block plugs. Iridium Delco part number for a 2001 Corvette is 12571164. If you buy or look at one of these plugs is says on the housing "assembled in the USA with Japanese and US parts" which is a DENSO plug.

With that being said both companies make great plugs
Thanks for the explanation. Learn something new everyday!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:30 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
The plugs that you are referencing are from a 3400 series 60deg v6 engine, which is obviously a different motor.

GM (and other OEM's) have multiple spark plug manufactures for different engine programs, all of which are stamped ACDelco. It's the reason why GM makes gobs of $$ off service parts. NGK has been a long time supplier of v6 engine plugs, along with many of their ecotech engines.

DENSO is the supplier for Gen3, Gen4, and now Gen5 small block plugs. Iridium Delco part number for a 2001 Corvette is 12571164. If you buy or look at one of these plugs it says on the housing "assembled in the USA with Japanese and US parts" which is a DENSO plug.

With that being said both companies make great plugs
A tip of the cap. that's some strong spark plug knowledge. I like knowing as much as possible about the stuff I am cussing at.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:02 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I joined the gang here, at CF, back in '01, just as I bought my '01 coupe. At that time, there was a concern of the "pucks" blowing off the side electrode of the OE plugs (remember that??), so I removed those plugs shortly thereafter. Since I previously had good luck with Bosch's Platinum +4s, I put a set of those in the car.

I realize that I don't drive the car a lot, so here we are, 14 years later, and I just turned 25,000 miles. I noticed recently, that on the rare occasions when the lack of traffic will allow me to accelerate "briskly", I was hearing a little "pinging". There was one discussion here where another poster was having the same problem, and it was recommended to get on the road and "blow it out". I did that a couple of times, and the pinging has diminished.

However, I thought a fresh set of plugs might help. I went to the AC Delco parts website, which called out the 41-962 plugs for my car. I installed them last week, and although I haven't had the opportunity to really get on it, (again, too much traffic) the car is running well. As an "old fart", however, it shocks me to pay $5-6 for a single spark plug. In my younger days, that amount of money would cover the entire set!!
Never buy a nissan then, the g37 plugs cost $32 a piece.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:57 PM
bigbob76
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

And to think I almost bought a Porsche. For many years I drove and worked on old Porsches, the 356 just seemed so right. I was considering getting a Cayman when a friend let me drive his C5. I was surprised because I had never considered a Corvette to be a sports car. American made and a V8 appealed to me but until I drove one I had no clue. When I came home that night I registered here on the forum. Not long after that I found this C5 and absolutely love it. I was also looking at a C6 that was twice as much money but the money and the body style sold me on the C5. Now, when I can afford it I really want a C7!
Old 09-28-2015, 01:39 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 175rgr
Thanks for the explanation. Learn something new everyday!
Originally Posted by strand rider
A tip of the cap. that's some strong spark plug knowledge. I like knowing as much as possible about the stuff I am cussing at.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:13 AM
02GoldVette
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just adding myself to this thread for future reference. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:56 PM
WPLJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02GoldVette
Just adding myself to this thread for future reference. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:25 AM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC5

Also,

The recommended plug is AC Delco 41-110 Iridium, pre-gapped at .040
Yeap that is what I just installed in mine. I only changed the plugs wires were fine. No miss. Actually runs cooler.

Thinking about changing both upstream 02 sensors.

Quick Reply: Spark plug life on a C5?