C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Possibly Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 12:34 PM
garline14
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Ignition Switch Possibly Bad?

I have been having difficulty starting my 98 A4 coupe the last 3 days. Did some research and it seems I may have a bad ignition switch. I've read the starter may cause similar problems. I pulled codes and I did get a TCS U1016 and I think BO U1016.*Once started and running the car idles fine, drives like normal to. I went for an hour drive and the car didnt sputter or stall, no issues whatsoever. This weekend I will dig deeper and also try the igition switch repair as well.

Here is what my car is doing. When inserting the key, and turning it on but not starting the engine, the gauges dont do its normal cycle or sweep. They flicker and the needles jump. The dic is also blinking to like everything is trying to cycle. I can hear the relays clicking in the footwell. If I cycle the key a few times the gauges will cycle as normal and the car starts. The times when I cant get the gauges to cycle, if i keep cycling from off to on repeatedly the dash goes completely dark. No clicking, no security light or anything comes on but my radio,windows, and lights all work. Wait some time and I can eventually start the car.
Other times I can insert the key, gauges cycle, car starts up instantly on first try. There is no lag or anything when it fires up.

I tried both of my keys, cleaned them with alcohol and no change. Tried a new battery, charged to 100 percent and still have the same results.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:49 PM
garline14
Pro

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Could easily be the ignition switch. Here are a few links that may help you out. The first is a procedure that you can use if you know how to use a digital multi meter to check some voltages:

diagnosis

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1568186703-post64.html

removal

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1571067145-post107.html

repair procedure

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

If the voltage at any of the fuses specified is more than 2 or 3 tenths of a volt lower than at the battery, then the switch needs to be either repaired or replaced.
Thanks for the links! A lot of helpful information in there. I will give it a go and report back.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:57 PM
corvette77
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your symptoms are EXACTLY the same as mine were when my ignition switch went out. When I cleaned the contact points, it only worked for about a month. After about 3 times cleaning them, I went ahead and bought a new switch. Problems are gone now.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:10 AM
garline14
Pro

Originally Posted by corvette77
Your symptoms are EXACTLY the same as mine were when my ignition switch went out. When I cleaned the contact points, it only worked for about a month. After about 3 times cleaning them, I went ahead and bought a new switch. Problems are gone now.
I pulled my switch out last night and my contacts were burnt pretty bad on 2 contacts. The others had slight burn marks but not as bad. Didnt put everything back together yet as it got dark last night but I am thinking of buying a new switch for if or when this happens again. My car just went over 100K so its just a matter of time.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:10 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Ignition switch issues have hit a lot of us here on CF. I like doing the "free" fixes whenever I can (I did my ignition switch clean up about 2 years ago and have had no more problems - at least with the ignition switch ) but if they return or the free fix doesn't work, I wouldn't even think twice about getting a new switch and having another 100K miles of worry free driving.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:25 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by garline14
I pulled my switch out last night and my contacts were burnt pretty bad on 2 contacts. The others had slight burn marks but not as bad. Didnt put everything back together yet as it got dark last night but I am thinking of buying a new switch for if or when this happens again. My car just went over 100K so its just a matter of time.
That mileage is about right for a starter problem. If you don't change it be on the lookout for symptoms like harder to start when the engine is hot. When that starts happening DEATH is near.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:27 PM
garline14
Pro

Well guys, yall can add me to the successful ignition switch repair list! I got everything back together about an hour ago and the car started up on first try. The gauges were back to normal, cleared all codes, went for a 30 minute drive, and all seems well. No codes present, I aslo did about 6 start/stop cycles and it seems to be working fine. (Knock on wood) this repair last a while, but I will get another ignition switch soon being mine has 100K on it now.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:57 AM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by garline14
Well guys, yall can add me to the successful ignition switch repair list! I got everything back together about an hour ago and the car started up on first try. The gauges were back to normal, cleared all codes, went for a 30 minute drive, and all seems well. No codes present, I aslo did about 6 start/stop cycles and it seems to be working fine. (Knock on wood) this repair last a while, but I will get another ignition switch soon being mine has 100K on it now.
Glad 8vette7 was able to help! Thanks for reporting back now driver her like you stole it

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Switch Possibly Bad?

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Possibly Bad?