C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side-to-Side Play in Shifter While in Gear (shifter assembly not the issue)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 12:32 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Side-to-Side Play in Shifter While in Gear (shifter assembly not the issue)

Hi, hopefully someone has seen this issue before, I was unable to find anything that applied while doing a search. First, my car has the RSD short shift and a customer RPM TR6060 with C5 back cover and main shaft to mount to my also RPM built 3.73 rear end. Trans and rear are nearly brand new with less than 5,000 miles on them, slightly over a year old.

Last year during a 3-2 downshift the car got "stuck" in 2nd. I stopped the car and was able to muscle it back to neutral. After that the car would go into all the gears and shift perfectly. However, later on I noticed some new play in the shifter while in gear. I'd say probably half an inch in either direction and seems consistent no matter the gear. As I mentioned, this does not affect the smoothness of shifting and even redline shifts feel fine with no notchiness or grinding whatsoever. I've probably driven the car a couple thousand miles like this and it's fine, just doesn't feel nice to have play in the shifter. I had almost convinced myself it was normal until driving my friend's 09Z and noticing that his TR6060 it dead-tight while in gear, how mine should feel.

I have taken my console apart twice and gone through the whole shifter and shifter box alignment process, just to make sure that wasn't the problem. The second time I checked everything I was able to confirm it was not related to the shifter in any way. When you move the shifter side-to-side in gear, I was able to see the entire linkage moves with the shifter. You can see the rod moving in unison with the shifter, beyond the bolt that is typically the cause of these issues.

This tells me the issue is something in the remaining part of the linkage that I cannot see or inside the trans (really hope not!!!). My mechanical ability ends with taking apart the console, so my next step will be to have my shop take a look. But, before I do, I'd like to get an idea if there is any easy/common stuff they should be checking before the labor bill gets out of hand for something that really isn't affecting my ability to drive the car. Could something with the detent spring in the trans cause this type of behavior?

Thank you so much as always for any assistance that can be provided!

Bill
Old 09-27-2015, 08:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You have not convinced me at all that it could not be internal to the shifter. Before you tear into the tranny just put your OEM shifter back in and see what happens.

Mr. Sam
Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 AM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Check shifter alignment pin

Replace with stock shifter

Replace **** box

Replace shift rod linkage
Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 AM
SteveDoten@ARH
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I was edited?? Must of forgot the f
Old 09-27-2015, 09:55 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

If you're positive the rod turns with any side to side movement of the shifter then it has to be the shift rod or inside the transmission. Knowing what the shift linkage inside the transmission look like, I'd guess it is a damaged flex joint in the shift rod.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:22 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
You have not convinced me at all that it could not be internal to the shifter. Before you tear into the tranny just put your OEM shifter back in and see what happens.

Mr. Sam
He said he could see the rod to the gearbox turn when he wiggled the lever. We have to assume what he said is true.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:43 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
He said he could see the rod to the gearbox turn when he wiggled the lever. We have to assume what he said is true.
Yes, I know but there may be slop in the box allowing the motion. However, I can' say how much slop is naturally limited at the tranny. If the tranny has a very tight tolerance then yes the issue is not in the box.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:27 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
If you're positive the rod turns with any side to side movement of the shifter then it has to be the shift rod or inside the transmission. Knowing what the shift linkage inside the transmission look like, I'd guess it is a damaged flex joint in the shift rod.
Thank you, that was my fear. I'm assuming this would be something where the transmission would have to be dropped and opened up to fix? I do see a rubber flex piece in the linkage after the bolt, just under the console, this seems like it could be somewhat loose, but it's difficult for me to tell. Is that a piece that can be easily replaced? It's hard for me to tell how it's attached.

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Yes, I know but there may be slop in the box allowing the motion. However, I can' say how much slop is naturally limited at the tranny. If the tranny has a very tight tolerance then yes the issue is not in the box.
Thank you for advice. I would also be interested to see if the box is somehow controlling the motion while in gear. From playing around with it I don't believe that is the case. I no longer have a stock shifter, but if there was a chance that was it, it would be cheaper for me to buy a C6Z shifter and box than to pay many hours for a shop to investigate.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:28 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SteveDoten@ARH
Check shifter alignment pin

Replace with stock shifter

Replace **** box

Replace shift rod linkage
Thanks Steve! I don't have another shifter to swap out with any longer, but I'm leaning towards the linkage.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:25 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The linkage rod going back is attached to the transmission with a roll pin. You have to pull the transmission to change it.

You could pull/push that boot back to see if the joint has play. It's basically just a thin rubber tube covering the joint. There's another similar joint at the transmission end of that rod.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:06 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Bill, the problem is your shifter shaft. The TR6060's design doesn't allow side to side movement like the older T56. The U joint on both end of the shifter shaft is loose. We see these all the time. It's still available from GM, part # 12554740.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:29 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The linkage rod going back is attached to the transmission with a roll pin. You have to pull the transmission to change it.

You could pull/push that boot back to see if the joint has play. It's basically just a thin rubber tube covering the joint. There's another similar joint at the transmission end of that rod.
Thank you!

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT Performance
Bill, the problem is your shifter shaft. The TR6060's design doesn't allow side to side movement like the older T56. The U joint on both end of the shifter shaft is loose. We see these all the time. It's still available from GM, part # 12554740.
Thanks Rick! You are the man! So the trans needs to come out change that part I'm guessing?

How is your C5 beast coming along?
Old 09-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
Thanks Rick! You are the man! So the trans needs to come out change that part I'm guessing?

How is your C5 beast coming along?
Yes, the roll pin cannot be accessed without removing the transmission.

The engine and drivetrain is in but shop has been so busy I haven't touched it in few months. Your own car is always last to be worked on. lol
Old 11-03-2020, 06:09 PM
kz0925
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing shifter rod

Originally Posted by Rick@RKT Performance
how do I replace that part number you mentioned? And where can I buy it other than gm?

Get notified of new replies

To Side-to-Side Play in Shifter While in Gear (shifter assembly not the issue)

Quick Reply: Side-to-Side Play in Shifter While in Gear (shifter assembly not the issue)