C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Adjustment - Play in Shift Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Shifter Adjustment - Play in Shift Rod

I'm adjusting my shifter and I've got everything tightened down but I notice that before the pinch bolt (towards the shifter) that the shift rod has some play in it. Is this normal? The pinch bolt was pretty tight when I unscrewed it and I've got it tightened down snug but I notice there's some movement of the shift rod. I don't want to tighten any more in fear of breaking something. The movement I'm seeing is when I move towards 5th/6th/Reverse the rod actually moves. It's not stationary. Is this normal? The best way I can describe it is the bar rolls towards 5th/6th/R and then rolls back to 1st/2nd.

It shifts fine but I'm afraid if the pinch bolt isn't tightened all the way that I may lose shifting ability when I'm going down the road.

Last edited by Macleod52; 10-01-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:14 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Question isn't real clear... but, IF your asking if the rod should turn in the clamp... NO it should not...
Does the rod turn... YES it will rotate some..
that's why the little basket for the bottom of the shifter with the plastic cup on it can swivel, they move in unison to roll the shaft to the transmission...

Pics in this thread may help you see what's going on... post#7

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-lock-pin.html
The following users liked this post:
Macleod52 (10-01-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Macleod52
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks. I did the procedure over again and made sure to tighten down the pinch bolt down some more. I didn't have it tightened down all the way initially. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:36 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Glad you got it figured out... and didn't break the bolt... some have done that...

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter Adjustment - Play in Shift Rod

Quick Reply: Shifter Adjustment - Play in Shift Rod