C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't tighten pipes to muffler down enough..Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Can't tighten pipes to muffler down enough..Thoughts?

Got some Borla ATAKs and threw them on this weekend. It took longer to get the vette in the air than to install this. Everything was going well and started tightening up the over axle pipes to muffler pipe connection. No matter what I did, I can't keep that connection from rotating. The mufflers are rotating down off the rubber tabs in the back which pulls the tips up towards the valence. I've cranked down on the connection as much as I can. Any ideas?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 AM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had similar issues with my b&b bullets circle clamps...I just bought those u shaped clamps with 2 bolts and those hold good, not the best looking but work
Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You could also drill the pipes and install a stainless self tapping screw through the joint.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:40 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

had this problem with my B&B system, pull it a part sand the out side and inside of the pipes with a coarse sand paper then install it and crank down on the clamp my exhaust has not moved since i did this probably 3k miles now
Old 10-05-2015, 12:12 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
had this problem with my B&B system, pull it a part sand the out side and inside of the pipes with a coarse sand paper then install it and crank down on the clamp my exhaust has not moved since i did this probably 3k miles now

Thanks guys! Yes, I sanded it as well. I'm hesitant to add screws. I'll pick up some cheap u-bolts and give that a shot. Grrrr frustrating
Old 10-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

just tighten those clamps up at this point if they brake no big deal, I use a torque ratchet last time i tightened mine no leaks at that connection and they stay put!
Old 10-05-2015, 10:48 PM
rodsvet
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

On my B&B's I just got them perfect and tacked them with my MIG. The tack is at two points, out of sight and about a quarter of an inch long. I have a lift, so if they need to come off (done it several times) I just take them apart in front of the axel and do what ever work I need to do and then 4 bolts and they are back and straight. If I needed to totally take them apart, 5 minutes with a dremel and they are apart.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't tighten pipes to muffler down enough..Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Can't tighten pipes to muffler down enough..Thoughts?