C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early C5 Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:54 AM
Stardusterone
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Early C5 Electrical Gremlins

I'm a new member of the forum and have owned a 1998 coupe for 2 years. I have been working my way through the general and tech forums and have seen numerous posts concerning electrical problems.

My question is how prevalent are electrical problems with the early C5? Should every owner expect to have to deal with most of these problems or is it a small percentage of owners that are using the forum to find answers?

My car has 110K miles and I have not had any problems other than the traction control/ABS light activating when I hit a big seam on the interstate.

There's s saying about pilots who fly planes with retractable landing gear...there are 2 groups: those who have landed with gear up and those who will.

I hope this does not apply to the early C5 owner concerning electrical gremlins!

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Stardusterone
Old 10-06-2015, 01:20 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

In my opinion there are no years more prone to issues. New or good used part availability is harder for some parts like EBCM. SWPS, PCM, and BCM for pre 2001 cars at this time.

Mr. Sam
Old 10-06-2015, 03:39 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Early build '98's had more than their share. I think GM was still on a learning curve. However, most were shaken out during the warranty period. At least, my '98 settled down at about 2+ years old and has been relatively trouble free since.

The first couple of years were a royal PITA though - in the dealership about every 2 months, all for electrical/electronic issues.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:40 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

If the battery hasn't leaked on the PCM... and it's been replaced with a good quality battery... and you keep the battery charged and the voltage up... I would not expect electrical issues... but, if you have low voltage and corrosion problems then YES you might expect problems.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 10-07-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

This thread has tons of information on electrical problems with the C5. However, that does not mean that every C5 will have problems with the electronics on the car. It is a good reference point though if you do experience any issues.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-long.html
Old 10-06-2015, 11:41 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The issue is unavailable parts for the older C5's.

My car hasn't had much for electrical issues. A couple of relays, the HVAC resistors and the connections at the solenoid resulting in a new starter are about all that I've fixed electrically. I have a bunch of records from before I owned it and I saw a headlight motor (probably the gear) and a BCM in them. My car has around 160k miles on it.

The starter was still working but I had the header off to replace the AC compressor and I was just messing with the connections at the solenoid post a few weeks before that so I replaced it. It was pretty ugly looking so it was due to be replaced.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:29 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
I will assume the BCM was a very large FAT finger on your part and the key you should have pressed instead of the B was a P since the BCM is on the opposite side of the firewall while the PCM is more or less directly under the battery. Seem logical???
Nothing to do with fat fingers... just a brain fart. I know which goes where and what they do..durr Thanks for the heads up...
Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I have a 97 and have had it for 6 years. 14k on it when I got it. Today it has 43k. I am currently having some voltage issues but not big. I have had no problems and I have maybe the worst year of them all. I have found the connectors are the biggest issue for me. The traction control on mine also kicked on at bumps. I cleaned the wheel sensor connections and taped them and the problem seems to go away. Just enjoy the car. I am a novice so disregard anything I say.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:29 AM
Stardusterone
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your notes...I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
I'm just going to keep on driving and enjoying every mile!

Stardusterone

Get notified of new replies

To Early C5 Electrical Gremlins

Quick Reply: Early C5 Electrical Gremlins