C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Back Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Seat Back Question

I couldn't find a thread on this is the search function...

When I sit in the drivers seat, I can push back in the seat, and the right shoulder meets with far less resistance than the left shoulder does, so you sit slightly crooked in the seat. I removed the seat to inspect for a broken part, but I saw nothing that looked broken.

Even with the seat out on the garage floor, there was notably more 'give' in the right side of the seat, than the left. I didn't remove the upholstery, but the hing looked fine to me. The seat unlatches and moves normally as well. Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Sounds like the shell is broken. You're sure there are no cracks? If the seat doesn't rock it'd the only thing I can think of.
Edit; zip up the back is all you need to do to see the shell.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:43 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Sounds like the shell is broken. You're sure there are no cracks? If the seat doesn't rock it'd the only thing I can think of.
Edit; zip up the back is all you need to do to see the shell.

Sounds like a broken shell. Pretty easy to unzip the seat back and look. The bottom of the seat back covering can be unhooked by the bottom cushion and then the cover removed. If they're sport seats the zippers in the opening by the headrest can be unzipped. I don't know how to remove the standard seat covers but I don't think it's that hard. When I did mine I noticed the side bolsters plastic pieces were broken. I used some grocery shopping cart plastic from the childs seat area. It was very durable, thick, and easy to pattern from the original. A little drilling and a few rivets got the side bolsters working like new. My foam was broken by the bolster so I just used some duct tape to patch the foam back together. They seem to be working great now.

Art
Old 10-07-2015, 02:41 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Guess I'll pull the seat out again, and have a look under the upholstery. Thx
Old 10-07-2015, 02:48 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by RFJohnston
Guess I'll pull the seat out again, and have a look under the upholstery. Thx
Depending on your seats you may not have to pull them. My Z seats can just be tilted forward and ziiiiip. Easy access, maybe 2 minutes.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:51 PM
RFJohnston
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grantv
Depending on your seats you may not have to pull them. My Z seats can just be tilted forward and ziiiiip. Easy access, maybe 2 minutes.
Doh! my bad. I never even thought about trying to get the covers off in the car. Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Seat Back Question

Quick Reply: Seat Back Question