C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DeWitt's radiator leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Velocitee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DeWitt's radiator leak?

I bought a Dewitt's radiator with integrated oil cooler. My plan was to upgrade the radiator but not plumb the oil cooler unless I needed additional cooling capacity. The radiator comes with little plastic plugs in the oil cooler inlet/exit. My assumption was they were just there to keep the oil tank clean and prevent debris from getting in there. I installed the radiator and found that coolant leaks around the plastic plugs. Why would the oil tank be pressurized with coolant? Why would coolant be in the oil tank at all? If I had plumbed in the oil line, would oil have mixed with my coolant and ruined my engine? Something doesn't add up here...
Old 10-17-2015, 06:33 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

The oil cooler is supposed to be completely separate from the coolant.

The plastic plugs are there just to keep the oil cooler circuit clean and will not hold any significant pressure.

Better start by talking to DeWitts.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:48 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Here is my email reply:

Brad,
Sorry you are having this problem. It sounds like you have a small fracture in that internal oil cooler. If you are not using the cooler you could just hard plug the ports and forget about it. If you want to use the oil cooler then the radiator will have to come out and return to us for warranty.

td
Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I am running mine exactly as you are, i.e., not using the cooler but it is there for future use if I want. I have no leaks at all and it has been in place for seven years with the plastic plugs.

I suggest you contact Tom as he posted and return it for repair. I had a friend do that and he has had zero problems since DeWitts repaired his radiator and it has been years. If you have your original you can pop it back in while the repair is being done.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Velocitee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the response Tom.

Get notified of new replies

To DeWitt's radiator leak?

Quick Reply: DeWitt's radiator leak?