C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hvac left actuator

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Tom Reese
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hvac left actuator

I'm getting both history and current codes

B0363 H C left actuator feedback open
B0441 H C left actuator out of range

after doing some searching, apparently the left actuator needs to be either disassembled and re-indexed or replaced? is this something I can tackle? I have the shop manuals and the normal set of backyard mechanic tools but no Corvette specialty tools (yet).

<edit> my car is a 2004 apparently that makes a difference

Last edited by Tom Reese; 11-10-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:14 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The is a way to try and re-index the actuators. Not at home now. I can post that info later along with diagnostics for those codes. I have been told you can access the driver one with just removing the knee bolster. I would probably remove the dash to replace if it was needed since I'm not as limber as I once was.

2004 is not unique in this area.

Mr. Sam
Old 11-10-2015, 07:31 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my left actuator in/out several times before just replacing it with a new one. Its a pita but you don't have to remove the dash like you do to get to the passenger side.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Try this and see if it helps:

Re-Calibrating Actuators

Use the following steps to perform the calibration update:

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Remove the battery positive voltage circuit fuse of the HVAC Control Module (fuse #27).

Important
The module memory will not clear if the battery positive voltage circuit fuse is installed in less than 60 seconds.

3. Wait 60 seconds.
4. Install the fuse.

Here are the code diagnostics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lgnqz8h3e...ziteav4fa?dl=0

Mr. Sam
The following users liked this post:
Tim J Bennett (11-07-2020)
Old 11-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Get a good flashlight and a mirror and when you cycle the actuator, see if it runs the FULL RANGE during the calibration sequence.

Inside the actuator:

Name:  BrokenActuatorDriveGear.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  89.7 KB

If it doesn't cycle properly, maybe yours is cracked like this one.

Here is what you will see on the actuator when you watch it cycle:

Name:  DSCF0039.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  110.8 KB

If you pull the dash pad off, here's where there at:

Name:  BothActuatorsindash.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  77.5 KB
Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Tom Reese
Heel & Toe

thanks for the replies! I pulled the fuse, waited the required time plus a little bit and replaced the fuse. I deleted the codes and they came back immediately. I'll order the part and change it out when I get it.

thanks again!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Do you have the DIY to remove the Knee Bolster to access the area? If not let me know and I can post that and how to remove the dash pad if you want it. Removing the pad is not a hard thing to do. Not at home now.

Mr. Sam
Old 11-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Tom Reese
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Do you have the DIY to remove the Knee Bolster to access the area? If not let me know and I can post that and how to remove the dash pad if you want it. Removing the pad is not a hard thing to do. Not at home now.

Mr. Sam

I think I have enough info to do the R&R. the shop manual has the step by step instructions to do remove and replace. The procedure in the manual doesn't require removal of the dash pad.

I'm working on triple checking to make sure I get the correct part. Apparently the actuators were changed in 2002. Nothing is ever easy. I can't find a 2004 parts manual and the vague part descriptions make me a little uneasy about ordering something that might not fit. Prices range from $48 to $123 for the Dorman 604-106. A bit of a head scratcher there.

I might remove the unit and take it with me to the auto parts store. I'll pay more but I can compare the old one to the new unit. I can also make sure I get the correct Dorman unit and not a cheap knock off.

I will try to do the repair without removing the dash pad. If it turns out that I do need to remove it then I'll wait until I have all the parts in hand to install my new head unit and do everything at once.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:59 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Tom Reese
I think I have enough info to do the R&R. the shop manual has the step by step instructions to do remove and replace. The procedure in the manual doesn't require removal of the dash pad.

I'm working on triple checking to make sure I get the correct part. Apparently the actuators were changed in 2002. Nothing is ever easy. I can't find a 2004 parts manual and the vague part descriptions make me a little uneasy about ordering something that might not fit. Prices range from $48 to $123 for the Dorman 604-106. A bit of a head scratcher there.

I might remove the unit and take it with me to the auto parts store. I'll pay more but I can compare the old one to the new unit. I can also make sure I get the correct Dorman unit and not a cheap knock off.

I will try to do the repair without removing the dash pad. If it turns out that I do need to remove it then I'll wait until I have all the parts in hand to install my new head unit and do everything at once.
If you have the duel zone system the correct part number is 604-106. Even if the other part looks correct it won't function right, the feed back has to be compatible. Here is a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-604-1...=mtr#vi-ilComp

I just checked O'Reillys and their price has gone up some since i did mine. You can buy 3 on ebay compared to what the parts stores want for one.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:06 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Other than a different part is the replacement the same for a 2001? I literally have to do the exact same repair. Would you mind posting step by step of how you replaced the part? I too am thinking about tackling this myself.

Originally Posted by Tom Reese

Old 11-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Tom Reese
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 92GA
If you have the duel zone system the correct part number is 604-106. Even if the other part looks correct it won't function right, the feed back has to be compatible. Here is a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-604-1...=mtr#vi-ilComp

I just checked O'Reillys and their price has gone up some since i did mine. You can buy 3 on ebay compared to what the parts stores want for one.

that's the part number I ordered so I got the right one. I hope it's an actual Dorman and not a clone.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:15 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Would you please post the diy to remove the left actuator without taking out the dash. I need to do the same repair. Thanks.

Originally Posted by dadaroo

Mr. Sam
Old 11-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Tom Reese
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
Other than a different part is the replacement the same for a 2001? I literally have to do the exact same repair. Would you mind posting step by step of how you replaced the part? I too am thinking about tackling this myself.

here are the shop manual instructions on how to do it for a 2004. I can't figure out how to rotate the pics to portrait mode.
Attached Images    
Old 11-13-2015, 08:07 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Oldtimer

I am not limber enough to replace it without removing the dash pad. So I removed the dash pad, and cleaned everything up while I had it out. Mine had some dirty places that's hard to clean with it in. Removing the dash pad isn't too bad of a job, but it does take some time.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:13 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
The part should be the same if you have duel zone controls. The part is different if you have the manual system. That's the same part number I used in my 99. I know a couple guys on the forum tried different part numbers and they didn't work. If it is a factory GM part the number is different too.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:53 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Here is how to remove the Knee Bolster. You can do a shortcut by just releasing enough around the bolster to remove it but just be careful to not break and plastic pieces.

If you have a manual shifter you don't need to remove the shift ****. Just release the boot from the console and rotate it so the console lifts over it and the boot and **** can stay in place.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html

Let us know if anybody needs anything else.

Mr. Sam
Old 11-14-2015, 08:15 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

What is the part number for the passenger side?

Get notified of new replies

To hvac left actuator

Old 11-15-2015, 05:20 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
What is the part number for the passenger side?
The same number works for both sides.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Tom Reese
Heel & Toe

to follow up:

I was able to remove the old actuator and replace it with a new one by following the directions in the manual and not removing the dash pad. Technically it was easy but it was hard to do physically. I needed to use my magnetic retriever to fish out a couple of dropped screws.

I was surprised to find that the gear in the old actuator wasn't cracked. I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it but there was very stiff resistance to turning the big gear. It was hanging up on something.

Job is done and no more codes.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Good Job Tom..... Thanks for the great follow up.

Bill

Quick Reply: hvac left actuator