C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak, Bad lifter, Driving me crazy! (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:49 AM
YoungRedZ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhaust leak, Bad lifter, Driving me crazy! (Video)

I've had this nasty tick in my car for a while now. I want to throw up a couple of videos to see if anyone has an opinion on what it may be. I understand LS's can be noisy engines but I think mine might be outside of what is "normal". When I originally purchased the car, bone stock, it did not make any noise whatsoever. I've since put long tube headers and an A&A supercharger kit on it.

I did start to hear a tick after the long tubes went on, originally leading me to believe I had an exhaust leak. I've searched all over all of the exhaust ports, collector flanges, going all the way back and I haven't found any signs of leaks.

I took a couple of videos on my drive home today. It's kind of hard to hear the tick going through the lower gears, but trust me, it's there. Once I get to 5th & 6th and the rmp's drop, you can really hear it.

I still believe I have an exhaust leak somewhere I haven't found yet. What do you guys think? Could a lifter really go bad that quick out of no where? Like I said, before the headers, no sound at all. After the headers, the sound appeared. What do you guys think?

This one is of me in 6th gassing it. You can hear it the best in this one.

Sorry for it being so loud, just pulled in from my drive home and my fans were on from idling.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

An exhaust leak (TICK) will usually be loudest under acceleration and then quiet when you de-accelerate

Do you hear it all the time or only when you accelerate.

BC
Old 11-13-2015, 03:30 PM
YoungRedZ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
An exhaust leak (TICK) will usually be loudest under acceleration and then quiet when you de-accelerate

Do you hear it all the time or only when you accelerate.

BC
Mostly under acceleration. When I return to cruising speeds, the sound is reduced dramatically, though still audible if you listen close enough. As this being my first LS based car, I just want to make sure this is an exhaust leak or the normal "sewing machine" sound that everyone says these engines tend to make.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:29 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

An exhaust leak--even a small one can be detected by reading your LTFT's on a data logger--Many exhaust leaks are almost in audible especially after the engine is warm---
But a data logger reads the 02 voltages on right and left banks so even the smallest leak will show up as the bank with the leak will go way NEGATIVE on the long term fuel trims-----as the leak will not allow the 02's to heat up correctly and the ECM will interpret this as a negative fuel trim--
PS: Long tube headers open up a whole new can of worms---As with LT's the front 02 bungs are moved aft by as much as 3' this is turn causes the front 02's to not read correctly-That's why they are illegal in many states--This may NOT be your immediate issue but I would suspect an exhaust leak 1st that can be identified by using adata logger or even a handheld scanner that reads real time data --long term fuel trims---
The side with the greatest negative number has the exhaust leak--
Old 11-14-2015, 06:13 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

It's difficult to see completely around the exhaust because it's so compact, even with mirrors and flashlight. I have a slight tick and exhaust smell on wot driving me crazy, but can't find it. I ordered a bore scope for another use, which is HD, with LED lights, and it was only $24. It may help with this problem to find telltale soot.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I sometimes use SeaFoam to de-carbon the combuston chambers and flush out the intake manifold. When I did, I found exhaust leaks that I never knew existed. The smoke from the SEAFOAM will leak out of any leak.

So,,, Mabey shoot some seafoam or maybe even ATF into the PCV hose and kill the engine while you are doing it. When you crank it back up see if you can smoke out the leak.

BC
Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

-This may NOT be your immediate issue but I would suspect an exhaust leak 1st that can be identified by using adata logger or even a handheld scanner that reads real time data --long term fuel trims---
The side with the greatest negative number has the exhaust leak--

I would do this 1st to verify if in fact you do have an exhaust leak---IF not then go on to something else---
PS: I don't hear a thing in any of your vids-----

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust leak, Bad lifter, Driving me crazy! (Video)

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak, Bad lifter, Driving me crazy! (Video)