C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC/Climate Control Light Failed

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AC/Climate Control Light Failed

I know this is a fairly common issue on the C5. For a year or so the light has been dim, and now it is completely dark. What does the community think is the right way to fix this? Is there a company that will repair it like the Brake Control Module, or should I buy a new one through GM?

I think it should be a really easy swap, I just need to know how to get the unit repaired or replaced. I'm on a tight budget (aren't we all these days?), so I'd love to know the economical way to fix it.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2015, 06:52 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
I know this is a fairly common issue on the C5. For a year or so the light has been dim, and now it is completely dark. What does the community think is the right way to fix this? Is there a company that will repair it like the Brake Control Module, or should I buy a new one through GM?

I think it should be a really easy swap, I just need to know how to get the unit repaired or replaced. I'm on a tight budget (aren't we all these days?), so I'd love to know the economical way to fix it.

Thanks!
If you're good (very good) with a soldering iron you can use one if the diy guides and repair it yourself for cheap. Otherwise, there are several places on e-bay that offer the repair for 50-100 bucks. Some offer a lifetime warranty. Here is the link to the diy.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...splay-fix.html
Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Default Dim/Dark

Originally Posted by BigGun
If you're good (very good) with a soldering iron you can use one if the diy guides and repair it yourself for cheap. Otherwise, there are several places on e-bay that offer the repair for 50-100 bucks. Some offer a lifetime warranty. Here is the link to the diy.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...splay-fix.html
I have done 2 and an easy repair
Old 11-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

I don't trust myself to solder it myself. Is there a recommended shop that people like online? It would be really cool if one would mail one with a core charge so I could do the swap right away.

Thanks for the quick responses!!!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:37 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

You just need a small 15watt soldering iron. 15 is not too destructive. If you take your time and just reheat the bulb connections that is pretty much all you need to do. It's more work to get the console apart and disassemble the HVAC control. Just take your time and it will cost practically nothing. You can possibly do the whole job in just a few hours.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:29 AM
Grimlock
Drifting

I don't trust myself to solder it. I really suck at soldering and have some physical issues with my hands. So if anyone has a recommendation for a shop that will do it for me mail order, that's the way I would like to go. With one of those lifetime warranties and hopefully a core charge option!

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Darrell98
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

ABS fixer will repair it for $75. They promise a quick turn around. I plan on sending him my climate control unit, once I put the car away. I believe his website is ABSfixer.com
Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

This eBay seller has pretty good feedback (not affiliated, did my own panel): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-SALE-C5...-/131368211241
Old 11-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by striper
You just need a small 15watt soldering iron. 15 is not too destructive. If you take your time and just reheat the bulb connections that is pretty much all you need to do. It's more work to get the console apart and disassemble the HVAC control. Just take your time and it will cost practically nothing. You can possibly do the whole job in just a few hours.
OK cool. That's who I used for my brake control module. I will give them a shot.

Get notified of new replies

To AC/Climate Control Light Failed

Quick Reply: AC/Climate Control Light Failed