C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 - Totally Dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 01:49 PM
VETTEC599
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C5 - Totally Dead

First - Happy Thanksgiving to all. I decided to do so routine work on my '99 FRC. I was changing the positive terminal on the battery. The negative was first disconnected and out of the way. My daughter was handing me a wrench - inadvertently dropped it - touched both battery terminals - there was a spark and slight burn mark on the wrench. I finished changing the terinmal and made sure everything was connected and tight. Checked terminals - both tight. I went to start the car - totally dead - no lights, no horn, etc. All the dash gauges were pegged to maximum. Some time later I tried starting the car again - everything was normal. Car started as it normally did! I turned the car off - all gauges returned to "normal". Thought nothing more about it. Later went to start again to move it - nothing - absolutely dead. Tried opening the trunk - nothing! Tried lights, horn, etc. Nothing! Gauges were all normal - everything was dead. Any help suggested! The only techs I trust are ECS - Performance in Windsor Locks, CT. Absolutely the best - they are the only people I trust with our cars! One drawback for me - they are 60+ miles away.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:39 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

I'd start with getting the battery out of the car and tested.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:05 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Absolutely test the battery. You shorted it out albeit very briefly. A longer short out could really cause some problems. A shorted car battery can easily deliver several hundred amps -- more than an arc-welding machine. Don't take chances with it.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:57 PM
VETTEC599
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Absolutely test the battery. You shorted it out albeit very briefly. A longer short out could really cause some problems. A shorted car battery can easily deliver several hundred amps -- more than an arc-welding machine. Don't take chances with it.
What am I looking for - I will use a multimeter? Earlier this evening everything was absolutely dead! I checked the connections. The negative, which has a quick disconnect, was slightly loose. I tightened it - when I opened the door the interior lights went on. I made no attempt to start the car. The Interstate Battery distributor is several miles away and will test everything for me. If a loose terminal is the problem and I recheck and tighten it - will it be safe to start the car and drive those two miles? Thank you in advance.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:09 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

If you have a meter, yes check your battery. If 12.6v or higher, you're probably ok. If lower, then you might be ok as well but it wouldn't hurt to put a trickle charger on it. And yes, your loose negative connection was probably the culprit in this totally dead issue. If everything seems ok, it probably is. However, I would take it to get it checked. Batteries are fairly simple. If they have the correct volts and hold a charge, then they're ok. It's very fortunate that the cables were disconnected from the battery when this occurred. That simple fact isolated the car's electrical components away from any damage. Whew! And as stated many times in the past, if our C5s don't get the correct voltages that they're expecting, wierd things start to happen. I think you have avoided any serious issues. Glad things are working again. It's probably safe to start and test the battery.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:48 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEC599
What am I looking for - I will use a multimeter? Earlier this evening everything was absolutely dead! I checked the connections. The negative, which has a quick disconnect, was slightly loose. I tightened it - when I opened the door the interior lights went on. I made no attempt to start the car. The Interstate Battery distributor is several miles away and will test everything for me. If a loose terminal is the problem and I recheck and tighten it - will it be safe to start the car and drive those two miles? Thank you in advance.

If you have one of the big box auto parts stores nearby (Advance, Autozone) just take it there and have them test the battery.

Last edited by MAC5; 11-27-2015 at 07:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 - Totally Dead

Quick Reply: C5 - Totally Dead