C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, transmission will not do anything

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 03:13 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

If this transmission is anything like a 4L60E, when you install the torque converter, you have to slide it in place, and while rotating it back and forth a little, feel it "click" and move in, 3 times. If you don't, the converter isn't engaged in the pump. Ask me how I know.......
Old 11-29-2015, 05:32 PM
overdozed01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so depressed right now, i could not wait on mecahnic so I decide to take the trans out and I found out that the torque converter did sit flushedon transmission but it was never lock in to the pump. Why well I must of demaged it when I first put it in since I bolted the torque converter to the flex plate and just pushed the tranny into the torque converter.the pump splines on the trans are gone.what should I do now get a new pump an have someone installed it?u live and learned and I will never make that mistake again.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:37 PM
overdozed01
Advanced

I like working on my car, I've done bypass mod on my car myself,then straightpipe,then headers,valve cover gaskets,oil temp sensor,widebody kit on it but the trans was my biggest job and I screw it up.

Last edited by overdozed01; 11-29-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:13 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by overdozed01
I'm so depressed right now, i could not wait on mecahnic so I decide to take the trans out and I found out that the torque converter did sit flush on transmission but it was never lock in to the pump. Why well I must of damaged it when I first put it in since I bolted the torque converter to the flex plate and just pushed the tranny into the torque converter.the pump splines on the trans are gone.what should I do now get a new pump an have someone installed it? u live and learned and I will never make that mistake again.
You "sort of" did what I did.

To do this properly, you insert the converter into the transmission first, get the 3 clicks, THEN bolt the tranny in place, then bring the converter back out, to mate to the flex plate.

I did this, but didn't get the converter in far enough to engage the pump. So when I started the engine and started spinning the converter, I fragged the pump.....
Old 11-29-2015, 07:13 PM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm so depressed right now, i could not wait on mecahnic so I decide to take the trans out and I found out that the torque converter did sit flushedon transmission but it was never lock in to the pump. Why well I must of demaged it when I first put it in since I bolted the torque converter to the flex plate and just pushed the tranny into the torque converter.the pump splines on the trans are gone.what should I do now get a new pump an have someone installed it?u live and learned and I will never make that mistake again.
Don't get down on yourself. It's called experience. Now you have more than you started with. Yes you destroyed the pump. The good news is it's easy to replace and not too $$$. You should always put the converter on the trans first then install and bolt to the flex plate. Make sure the converter seats in the pump. Rotate it until it "clunks" into place. Once installed in the car and the bell housing bolted up the converter face should be approximately an inch or so away from the flex plate. You then slide the converter up to the flex plate and bolt it up. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 PM
overdozed01
Advanced

Thanks guys but where do I get one from? I called a local parts store and they told me i had to go to dealership.would really like to get one soon so I can take the trans to the shop and have it put on. Thanks
Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Thanks guys but where do I get one from? I called a local parts store and they told me i had to go to dealership.would really like to get one soon so I can take the trans to the shop and have it put on. Thanks
if you're taking the transmission to a shop, I would think that they'd have easy access to the parts you need, unless they're Corvette specific. If that turns out to be the case, and they're not available locally, contact Corvette Forum sponsor Gene Culley, at Cultrag performance........
Old 11-30-2015, 09:40 PM
overdozed01
Advanced

Well, I took transmission to a local shop and he only charged me $200 and had it ready in an hour believe it or not its true.I put it on car and made sure it was locked in and boy when I put that sucker on drive and seen the wheels spin I got so happy. All I have to do is put the car completely back together and I can cruised again.I like to thank everyone that took their time to help out. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
if you're taking the transmission to a shop, I would think that they'd have easy access to the parts you need, unless they're Corvette specific. If that turns out to be the case, and they're not available locally, contact Corvette Forum sponsor Gene Culley, at Cultrag performance........
Thank you for the referral. We would certainly be happy to help out.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Quick Reply: Need help, transmission will not do anything