C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trans pressure relief valve?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:52 PM
ukmac
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Auto trans pressure relief valve?

Hi, can anyone tell me if the automatic transmission on a Corvette C5 has a pressure relief valve. If so, where is it located. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:54 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

There's a pressure valve but it's not what I'd call a relief valve. It's located in the front pump/housing. Then, there is a PWM controlled solenoid in the valve body that allows the PCM to control line pressure.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-23-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 AM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

I believe what you are looking for is in the top left corner of the hydraulic schematic. I believe that is also referred to (by at least Sonnax) as a Pressure Regulator Valve. If so that is located in the pump body. The link below is to Sonnax's page for their Line Pressure Booster kit which shows the parts going into the side of the pump. If you click on their instructions tab for this you can get a little more detail.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2169-lin...-kit#tabs1-a59

If I recall correctly, you can access this part of the pump with the tranny installed and the pan dropped. (May also need to drop the valve body.) I've replaced the boost valve spring on my son's truck's 4L60 transmission with it in the truck so I know at least one of the two pump valve assemblies is accessible without dropping the tranny and suspect the other is as well. The Sonnax instructions are written it seems such that you are working with the pump on a bench, which would make this much easier to say the least.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Auto trans pressure relief valve?

Quick Reply: Auto trans pressure relief valve?