C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:59 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Spare tire ?

OK, I have been searching, and answers are all over map.
Some say 04 and up GTO Mini, one says an Equinox spare, another says a Cadillac spare or C4 spare. One says a GTO mini will break your studs. (Thought only a real wild lady could break one of those!)
Just want it for local use as a spare stored in garage with small jack
and brought to me, likely by my GF in case my inflator can, plug kit, and mini-12V compressor fail me. They are all on board along with a mini jack and lug wrench.

Most of my trips are local and I have USAA road service, but like to keep towing monkeys as far from the Vette as possible. Would rather limp slowly to my tire shop or home.

So are there any expert last word, definitive, go to fitment alternatives for a small spare out there?

Thanks Guys,
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 12-29-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The problem with a 'spare' for the C5 is the offset front/rear sizing. In this case, I'd just get one each of a front and rear wheel in the same size as your current rims. The C5 rims are large, but not so big they can't fit in a trunk or an SUV cargo area, and my 125lb wife can lift them.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:18 PM
mike venth
mike v

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts

Most use a plug kit and some fix a flat, this will get ya home or to a station for repairs..
Reason is; on the REAR,,if the tire is to small / big it could do damage to the rear-end clutch pack (I think) and the TC will most likely kick on and not like it..and I 'm not sure about 04" but my 01" has 17" front and 18" rear, so you would need 2 spares.... Lots of good info out there. Myself, I don't want to risk any damage...Had a brand new (L) rear cut by a hunk of metal, you could put 4 fingers in it and it was less then a week old,, and I was local so a bub came out with one off his vette and we got it home..UPS come couple days later..
mike v
Old 12-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Trios
The problem with a 'spare' for the C5 is the offset front/rear sizing. In this case, I'd just get one each of a front and rear wheel in the same size as your current rims. The C5 rims are large, but not so big they can't fit in a trunk or an SUV cargo area, and my 125lb wife can lift them.
Not a bad idea if you just plan to have someone bring a spare to you on those rare occasions you might need one.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The other thing to consider with a small spare tire is whether or not the wheel will clear the brake caliper, especially up front as the front calipers are larger than the rear calipers.

Also the small wheel will have to have a sufficient center hub diameter to slide over the hub of the bearing assembly.

I would suggest that be best solution is to carry a can of Fix-A-Flat, a few plugs and a small 12v air compressor. That's similar to what went into the Z06 as that car didn't come with run-flats as OEM tires.

Even finding a decent low-profile jack could be an issue. Try completely deflating one tire and then measure the distance between the ground and the bottom of the frame where the hole is for the "hockey pucks". That will determine the minimum height of the jack pad.

You would also need a 1/2" drive breaker bar that's something like 18" long, a 6" extension and a deep 19mm socket. If you have a set of locking lugs, make sure that you have a 1/2" drive socket of the correct metric size to use the special wheel lock socket.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:50 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure what GM planned, but the larger center compartment in the trunk was designed in to carry a spare just in case the run flats didn't work out. Why not just pick up a single used spare wheel/tire like you already have on the car rather than a steel wheel that might not fit. Since you are not storing it in the car the size shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by vettenuts; 12-30-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:35 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

You guys did notice the OP already has "inflator can, plug kit, and mini-12V compressor" in the car, right?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:06 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Thanks to all for the awesome input

Originally Posted by huesmann
You guys did notice the OP already has "inflator can, plug kit, and mini-12V compressor" in the car, right?
which put the issue in perspective for me. So, here is my conclusion after absorbing it all:
1. Keep the USAA Road Service. Cheap at $12 a year and excellent when I have used it.
2. Update my inflator and carry two (was in car when I bought it)
3. Keep, plug kit, lug and lock sockets and breaker bar and the 12V pump I now have.
4. Add a sturdy needle nose plier to go after imbedded nails, etc.
5.On road trips, carry a small scissor jack or some such.
6. And, critical, check tire pressures often.
So, again, thanks to all for the input!!
Dave

And, Happy New Year to You and Yours!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:25 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Why not just put run flats back on
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-31-2015, 09:44 AM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I have wondered about the spare tire situation ever since moving from a C4 to a C5. I have runflats. I also have an extra front and rear wheel and tire in my garage that I could have someone bring to me if necessary.
What do you think of this? Take a front wheel (17") and mount a
245 50 17 tire on it. The circumference is only .05 inch smaller than a
245 40 18. It could be used on the front or the rear? A friend of mine has this and carries it with him.
The following users liked this post:
David Shiel (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 02:11 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Sorry you are confused!The obvious answer here

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Why not just put run flats back on
lies in my experiences with run flats. I have inherited them on two cars. The best I can say about them is that they were crap! Likely due to side wall stiffness, they rode like a buck board, and both sets were very loud and annoying. I replaced and scrapped both sets, though they had thousands of miles left on them. Will never waste my money on them.

Now, I realize one does not buy a Vette for ride quality, as I have owned several of most generations since C2 to C5, but why ask for annoyance? I always marvel at the comfort of my C5s with AS tires.... that for a performance car.

Now , we have entered the realm of personal and subjective opinion, and everyone has one. That is mine, and I'm sticking to it. No need for further justification.

SEE POST # 8

Based on great input here, I have arrived at a spareless solution.
Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 12-31-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

run flats suck as well as being hard, poor ride and handling compared to non run flat tires and zo6 don't use them......to each their own. GTO spare as well as GTO stock rim will work with minor opening up of center for hub fit, also no room, at least for zo6 of stock rim especially the rear in the drop down area in trunk. I use that area for small jack, 1/2" braker bar+socket and an approximate 12" 1" thick board to drive up on to give clearance for jack placement and of course tire plug kit and inflater kit...good luck and hope the flat gods keep you flat free.

Last edited by LT1driver; 01-01-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:56 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

I picked up a GTO spare years back when a rail car of GTO's derailed near Oklahoma City. I immediately tried it on my FRC and discovered the hub would not fit over the Corvette hub. Minor opening of the center hole on the wheel and it fits just fine. Wheel is lug and hub centric so it is not an issue. It fits on the front and rear.

Good luck... GUSTO
David Shiel (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Bottle, small floor or scissor jack?

Originally Posted by LT1driver
run flats suck as well as being hard, poor ride and handling compared to non run flat tires and zo6 don't use them......to each their own. GTO spare as well as GTO stock rim will work with minor opening up of center for hub fit, also no room, at least for zo6 of stock rim especially the rear in the drop down area in trunk. I use that area for small jack, 1/2" braker bar+socket and an approximate 12" 1" thick board to drive up on to give clearance for jack placement and of course tire plug kit and inflater kit...good luck and hope the flat gods keep you flat free.
I currently have a small scissor jack.
Dave
Old 01-02-2016, 08:57 AM
David Shiel
Drifting

Originally Posted by LT1driver

Dave
Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Now I know you're a smart guy (you tell me so) so I know you would have never forgotten to see if you have wheel locks and if so that you have the tool to remove. Better check that it is the correct size since I have been told your nuts may not be as big as most.

I agree you better keep the AAA service because I doubt that Vicki is going to schlep a wheel and tire over to help you out at the strip club when you have a flat.

Mr. Sam, as always with helpful advice
David Shiel (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:51 AM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by David Shiel
I currently have a small scissor jack.
Dave
What model is it?

Get notified of new replies

To Spare tire ?

Old 01-02-2016, 12:46 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Geez Sam!

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Now I know you're a smart guy (you tell me so) so I know you would have never forgotten to see if you have wheel locks and if so that you have the tool to remove. Better check that it is the correct size since I have been told your nuts may not be as big as most.

I agree you better keep the AAA service because I doubt that Vicki is going to schlep a wheel and tire over to help you out at the strip club when you have a flat.

Mr. Sam, as always with helpful advice
Thanks for the advice. Dang, I went out and checked my nuts and darned if they haven't shrunk a bit!! We are supposed to get shorter when we age, but oh no, not the nuts! Vicki wants to hit a local strip club with me, so I think I can bribe her to bring a spare to me there. Maybe not so much to a girl's apartment, though.

As always your learned advice is appreciated.
Dave

Last edited by David Shiel; 01-02-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:44 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Love you too buddy but not like Vicki.

Mr. Sam
Old 11-17-2016, 09:15 PM
marc a
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Any experience with the 2006-2011 Cadillac DTS Spare fitting. Looks like the GTO space saver.

TIA

Marc
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Spare tire ?