C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange things indeed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 12:22 AM
Shrendic
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Strange things indeed...

I've having a hell of a summer with my car so far, and would really like some input before I go any farther.

2 weeks ago I was driving my car to pennsylvania (10 hour drive) when the weld to the flange holding the drivers side muffler on broke 7 hours into the journey, and I had to leave the car at a dealership for a week before I could pick it up after the repair was made.

On my way back this past Sunday, I noticed that the transmission temperature was running at about 199 degrees (which seemed higher than normal), but everything else was around normal and I got no warnings, so when I got home, I put it to bed and went on with my life until last night, when my wife and I drove the car to the store.

She reached down to put something on the floor and immediately notified me that her floor was soaked. And so it was - the drainage for the condensation in the ac must have plugged up somehow and caused water to come into the cabin. I can only guess that this happened on my way back from getting the car and I never noticed being I was alone.

Well, today I run the car with the top off and ac off, and now I'm getting what I would consider low oil pressures (27-40, I usually range between 35 and 45) high oil temps (220 ish) coolant ranging from 199 to 220, and the tranny topped off at 221 today.

It was a nice day, highs in the upper 80's, I checked the oil and there it was in between the full and add lines. Coolant looked good, and I could find no evidence of leaks under or around the car.

Anyone have any guesses as to what the heck is going on with this car?
I've owned it 18 months and have had little things going on, like losing my turn signals, four ways, high mount brake light, alternator, passenger side window motor, drivers side headlight motor (twice), had the seats replaced under warranty due to premature wear, the rear axle seal was leaking, the above mentioned muffler failure, and now this. To say I'm getting very frustrated is an understatement. It's a 2000 coupe, and it's out of warranty in January. I can't afford to have this kind of thing continue.

Help?
Old 08-31-2002, 01:09 AM
rrobert22
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Strange things indeed... (Shrendic)

I understand your frustration. Maybe you should buy an extended warranty? I would just watch your gauges and see what happens. Probably nothing. Let us know what happens, maybe someone else has a good idea of what, if anything is actually going on. I seriously doubt anything is actually going on with your motor. :cheers:
Old 08-31-2002, 01:50 AM
redriverjohn
Pro

I've had some issues with my 2000 coupe also. Most were handled under the original warranty or recall, these were on me: Replaced battery (leaking acid around positive terminal) with new ACDelco AGM glass mat (no acid to leak in this one). Replaced passenger side dual zone a/c temperature control actuator/motor. Replaced driver side headlamp actuator control motor assembley (motor would continue to run after the lamp had retracterd). Installed check valves in windshield washer lines to stop fluid weeping onto windshield under vehicle acceleration.

And under warranty/recall: Dealer replaced electronic steering column lock under Recall. (2nd time column had locked up. Dealer replaced electronic steering column lock under warranty (1st time column locked up). Dealer repaired driver side water leak above window. Dealer repaired passenger side air leak (noise) above window. Dealer replaced driver side DRL/Parking lamp assembly (fogging up). Dealer replaced fuel tank sensor and strainer (TSB). Dealer replaced generator and belt tensioner (TSB). Dealer replaced seatelt guides (Recall). Dealer replaced driver seat back cover due to bolster wear (TSB). Dealer replaced front brake rotors due to warping (TSB). Dealer replaced driver side power seat adjustor (TSB for rocking seat). Dealer replaced Twilight Sentinel light sensor (shorted).

I haven't had any exhaust related issues, probably due to the fact that I replaced my factory mufflers and "H" pipe with Corsa Indy's and Corsa "X" pipe soon after taking delivery when the car was still new. Although I understand that broken factory exhaust welds such as you have suffered are common.

Your oil pressure seems normal to me, that's about where mine usually is. My car now has 49672 miles and has always run well and strong. It does not use oil and I have never had any leaks in any of the drive train components. I've Just experienced a lot of annoying small stuff, like you've had. Almost all of that was handled under the factory warranty. However, if I had it to do over again, I would buy the GM extended warranty. I think that with the C5, it is realitively cheap insurance considering what it costs to repair these cars. You should look into that, IMO.

By the way, I haven't had the clogged up a/c drain line yet but I understand from what I read here that this can be a very serious problem with damaging (and potentially very expensive) consequences if it is not addressed quickly. Good luck with your car.

[Modified by redriverjohn, 11:53 PM 8/30/2002]
Old 08-31-2002, 02:22 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do read the tranny temp??? Is this something you added??
Old 08-31-2002, 11:12 AM
Shrendic
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Strange things indeed... (Cajun75)

When you cycle through the gages on the DIC, the it should read oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, transmission temperature, volts, front tire pressures, back tire pressures.

At least my 2000 coupe does this. I can't say what information was available to other model years.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:21 AM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Someone hasn't read their manual... :D :D

As far as the clogged AC, many people have fried their computers due to this problem. The first sign is wacky readings from your DIC. Better check it out before it goes out completely...good luck :cheers:

[Modified by WWK888, 3:22 PM 8/31/2002]
Old 08-31-2002, 12:09 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Strange things indeed... (WWK888)

Maybe I'm missing something on mine :lol:

My DIC reads everything ya'll are showing with the exception of the tranny temp. :smash:

Did they add this after '99?? Neither of my '99 FRCs have (had) this feature.

Any other '99s out there have a tranny temp??? :confused:
Old 08-31-2002, 02:27 PM
Shrendic
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Re: Strange things indeed... (WWK888)

As far as the clogged AC, many people have fried their computers due to this problem. The first sign is wacky readings from your DIC.[Modified by WWK888, 3:22 PM 8/31/2002]
Greeeaaat. I love good news. Who's the idiot whos design called for expensive electronics to be placed near an area where - of all things - WATER can come into contact with them?

I take it this will not be a warranty issue?
Old 08-31-2002, 02:43 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

I would definately pursue this as a warranty issue if you are covered. Good luck :cheers:
Old 08-31-2002, 02:57 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

The tranny temp is only on automatic transmission equipped cars. Your FRC is a MN6.
Old 08-31-2002, 03:01 PM
Blue 02 C5
Racer

Who's the idiot whos design called for expensive electronics to be placed near an area where - of all things - WATER can come into contact with them?
The same idiot who designed the LT1's distributor to be underneath the waterpump. :)
Old 08-31-2002, 06:50 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Strange things indeed... (QUIKAG)

The tranny temp is only on automatic transmission equipped cars. Your FRC is a MN6.
Whew!! Thanks, thought I'd lost there for a moment :jester

WWK888..you're right...Someone hasn't read their manual..me :conehead.

[Modified by Cajun75, 4:53 PM 8/31/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Strange things indeed...

Quick Reply: Strange things indeed...