C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im lowered on stock bolts... this look normal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:06 PM
PaulWall
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lowered mine and you are going to need longer bolts for the back for it to sit level....The front still looks a little high to me...
Old 02-09-2016, 12:42 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

First of all let me say that you want a little rake, the front should be between 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the rear. This is GM spec for better handling and aerodynamics. That being said your car looks too high front and rear still. It looks stock height. BTW, I also have Bilstein Sports and they didn't affect my car's height either. I cut the bushings in front to half thickness and the rear has no threads showing. I have driven tens of thousands of miles without any problems. C5's seem to be randomly different in how they respond to lowering. They vary quite a bit at stock height. I have no idea why your car is so high, but there definitely seems to be something different going on.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
First of all let me say that you want a little rake, the front should be between 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower than the rear. This is GM spec for better handling and aerodynamics. That being said your car looks too high front and rear still. It looks stock height. BTW, I also have Bilstein Sports and they didn't affect my car's height either. I cut the bushings in front to half thickness and the rear has no threads showing. I have driven tens of thousands of miles without any problems. C5's seem to be randomly different in how they respond to lowering. They vary quite a bit at stock height. I have no idea why your car is so high, but there definitely seems to be something different going on.

Yeah that's why ai didn't take the rear all the way down because I wanted to keep the rake. I may do what you did and cut half the bushings in the front the take the rear down to where no threads are showing. I don't know whats up with it. I'm pretty sure the fronts are all the way down.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Here is mine at various heights as I changed things over the years.

Toque
Old 02-10-2016, 01:51 PM
ZigZag
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Here is mine at various heights as I changed things over the years.

Toque
What difference is there between lowered on stock bolts and lowered on coil overs ? I'm guessing ride comfort but is there more ? Sorry for high jack OP.

Thanks, Tom
Old 02-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ZigZag
What difference is there between lowered on stock bolts and lowered on coil overs ? I'm guessing ride comfort but is there more ? Sorry for high jack OP.

Thanks, Tom
Coil overs allowed me to get the ride height I wanted. I can make it as low as I want.
Coil overs make the car a true 4 wheel independent suspension. (No transverse leaf springs like stock setup)
I can set it to be softer than stock if I want.
I have it set a little harder than stock now because it handles amazing that way.

I originally had it lowered (like the bottom pic) with C6 bolts and longer rear bolts. It was super stiff. I hated the ride quality.

Lowered max on stock bolts was great ride quality though. It was just not as low as I wanted.

My recommendation to folks is never go lower than Lowered max on Stock bolts unless you get a coil over setup.
The coil over setup will allow you to have a good ride quality and be as low as you want.

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 02-10-2016 at 02:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZigZag (02-10-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 11:57 PM
xdmikey
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Toque, can you direct me to some good reads on coil overs for the c5?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 01:35 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ZigZag

Thanks, Tom
coilovers will have a more "racey" feel and the main difference in my opinion is that they will eliminate bumps transferring from one side to the other... that was my main gripe about the leaf springs, it was really noticeable around corners if you hit a bump on one side and it would be felt on the other side as well and sometimes the rear end would feel like it was going to kick out... I never actually had the rear get to the point that it would come loose it just felt like it wanted to... kinda hard to put into words and I'm not always the best at explaining things but anyone that has taken their car around a corner faster than they should will have probably experienced that... the leafs may work better on a prepped track but on the street I don't like them... and as toque stated, with coilovers you can lower the car as much as you want but you will not lose shock travel... when you start lowering stock suspension you are losing the same amount of shock travel, this is why the lower you go the rougher the ride gets and you are at greater risk of bottoming the suspension out and eventually blowing your shocks... I'm using lg gt2 coilovers, I believe toque is running the same, and I would recommend them to anyone looking to get into coilovers
Old 02-15-2016, 08:55 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Yeah, way too high. Get longer rear bolts? But even then, something isn't right. I have OEM shocks and bolts in mine and I get maybe 1-2 fingers between top of tire and fender.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:49 AM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What's so wrong with the leaf springs, that are still on the C7? They also act as a anti-roll bar. With coil overs, the biggest problem I see, is the upper shock mount isn't really designed to carry the whole weight of the car. And you would need a bigger sway bar that adds the traverse spring "crosstalk" right back into the picture. Why not just use longer bolts, and use the "shorter" coil over shocks, without the springs? Be a lot cheaper too. And has anyone looked at what happens to the roll centers when the car is lowered too much???
Old 02-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by xdmikey
Toque, can you direct me to some good reads on coil overs for the c5?

Thanks
I have the LG GT2 coil overs and i like them a lot.
I'm not sure whats out there now since the other company went under.

Hopefully someone knows what options are out there now.

Toque
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
What's so wrong with the leaf springs, that are still on the C7? They also act as a anti-roll bar. With coil overs, the biggest problem I see, is the upper shock mount isn't really designed to carry the whole weight of the car. And you would need a bigger sway bar that adds the traverse spring "crosstalk" right back into the picture. Why not just use longer bolts, and use the "shorter" coil over shocks, without the springs? Be a lot cheaper too. And has anyone looked at what happens to the roll centers when the car is lowered too much???
Nothing wrong with the mono leaf and definitely has a lot of positives but also has it's limitations too. If you have seen the video of LG corvette running over a 6x6 wood block with no damage to the mounts you would be able to discount that theory.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:57 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Here it is if you. care to watch

Quick Reply: Im lowered on stock bolts... this look normal?