C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Tire Wear Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 02:17 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by enoniam
It's also interesting that the Chevy "preferred" settings for individual camber and caster do not fall within the Pfadt specs.
Because the Pfadt settings are more toward the "all out handling" side of the spectrum, whereas the Chevy settings are a balance between handling and tire wear. If aggressive alignment settings, especially negative camber, accelerate tire wear, GM gets customer complaints, with some "aggressive" customers demanding tire replacement, if within the warranty period. They aren't going to do that.

Secondly, I don't thing the stiffer sidewalls of run-flat tires like a lot of negative camber....
The following users liked this post:
enoniam (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 02:24 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Because the Pfadt settings are more toward the "all out handling" side of the spectrum, whereas the Chevy settings are a balance between handling and tire wear. If aggressive alignment settings, especially negative camber, accelerate tire wear, GM gets customer complaints, with some "aggressive" customers demanding tire replacement, if within the warranty period. They aren't going to do that.

Secondly, I don't thing the stiffer sidewalls of run-flat tires like a lot of negative camber....
Thanks for the info. I was just chatting on the phone last night with a former C5 owner (he's currently got a C6 GS) about my front tire wear and he recommended going with the Pfadt-recommended street performance specs. I got the car about 20 months ago with very evenly worn tires and noticed that the tires I had put on about 18 months ago weren't wearing evenly in front. I could have very well gotten the front out of alignment when I dropped the k-member out of the car to remove the engine last summer. Will use the Pfadt specs when I get the car back on the road when the weather gets nicer and I finish doing my interior mods winter project.

Last edited by enoniam; 02-11-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:06 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Are you sure you have those toe settings typed in correctly? Minus (-) toe numbers mean "toe out"............
You are correct. There was a note on PFADT's page that declared negative toe was "in". I've updated my original post to reflect the conventional notation.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 AM
rahaul
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Sounds to me like you have some sort of DYNAMIC ALIGNMENT ISSUE that causes the suspension to FLEX or CHANGE alignment when the car is moving down the highway.

That's a TOUGH NUT to crack.

Start by getting the car UP in the air on a DRIVE ON LIFT. With the car in the air and on all four tires, have someone apply some SLIGHT left and SLIGHT right steering wheel input and have someone UNDER THE CAR look at EVERY SUSPENSION joint, mount, anchor point, Rack, Ball Joint, bolt and bushing.
See if you can see any FLEX or LOST MOTION when the steering input is applied.

CHOCK THE FRONT WHEELS and apply some TORQUE to the drive train and inspect the rear suspension as the torque is being applied for the same flex or lost motion.

Look at EACH A arm bushing and see if there is any abnormal deformation or FLEX.

Some of the METAL A FRAME BRACKETS that the rear A Arms are attached on to the frame have been known to crack and or come loose on one side. Look carefully at that area and make sure that they are solid.

Please let us know what you find.

Bill
Bill, finally found some time to do this. Spent considerable time going thru the list but everything seems to be as it should be.

What do you suggest from here?

Thanks,

Vic in Arkansas
Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Select some preferred alignment specs. Find a good shop and have the specs / alignment done to the car. Six months down the road, have the specs/alignment/tire wear evaluated and see where you are at. See if the alignment is OFF.

After the alignment is DONE,, Have the tech MARK the adjustment CAM settings on all the alignment cams with white paint or a scribe mark. Make sure that those cams DO NOT move from where they were aligned to during the alignment.

That's about all you can do..

BC

Quick Reply: Serious Tire Wear Issues